Your 10 Favorite Caps Ever

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Loved Beaupre

He went a bit crazy with the double padded saves. I remember one close to the blue line! Tinordi was a beast, and Simon was a bit of a one hit wonder.

I have Iafrate above Witt and Tindordi simply for the end to end 1 man break out, slap shots, and wondrous lucius locks.

Kono easily beats May
Bite your tongue my friend.

Simon may have been a “one season” wonder when he scored almost 30 — but he was the most feared fighter in the game for much of his career. He was a heavy weight before he started to score goals.

And he stayed a heavy weight until he hung them up. Dude was a stud, and could hit with the best of them.

I love me some Simon (and Ridley, if you couldn’t tell :sarcasm:)

CfAaPnS74

Jan 8, 2008
1. Matt Hendricks
2. Peter Bondra
3. Ovi
4. Matt Bradley
5. Brooks Laich
6. Sasha Semin
7. Donald Brashear
8. Godzilla
9. Nate Schmidt
10. Holtby tied with DSP

It's a weird one, I know.
Nothing weird about it. They were YOUR favorite players to watch.

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
Nothing weird about it. They were YOUR favorite players to watch.
I've always had a soft spot for the guys who go out there and give every drop of energy they have on every shift because they know that is how they will keep their place. Literally bleeding to give the team an inch of progress. Bradley was the king of bleeding whenever he got a chance. Shit, someone sneezed near him and he bled. That's why he was my absolute favorite when he was with the team.

And then Hendricks showed up on a PTO, scored a hat trick in his debut and then beat the shit out of Campbell off the opening faceoff after he boarded Ovi in the final minutes of the previous game. That solidified him in my heart right away as my personal favorite. AND THEN he decided to show off the fact that his hands weren't only skilled in handing out beatings but also absolutely demoralizing the other teams' goalies with the Paralyzer. Hngggg I miss that guy every day.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
A top ten of your LEAST favorite Caps would be fun too: I mean, Jaromir Jagr,, Martin Erat and Anthony Mantha right off the top of my head.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Also, your top ten LEAST favorite Caps would be fun too: I mean, Jaromir Jagr,, Martin Erat and Anthony Mantha right off the top of my head.

Brendan Leipsic
Scott Stevens
Dino ciccarelli
Geoff Courtnall
Neil Sheehy

Reactions: sycamore

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
1. Matt Hendricks
2. Peter Bondra
3. Ovi
4. Matt Bradley
5. Brooks Laich
6. Sasha Semin
7. Donald Brashear
8. Godzilla
9. Nate Schmidt
10. Holtby tied with DSP

It's a weird one, I know.
Forgot about Hendricks, he was great to watch, especially when he'd do that deadly fake shot and dangle move on a breakaway.

I got to see this one live, the whole arena went quiet after.

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
What did Brendan Leipsic do again? Seems the moral code in your "least favorite" list is evident :D
Man I really liked him until those texts were leaked. The guy was in a groupchat with some other fringe/non-NHLers and it was just them spewing the most disgusting, vile shit. But it wasn't just him calling girls "fat ugly :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:" or talking shit about Connor McDavid's wife that did it - he posted a pick of Hathaway and Dowd and said something like "my linemates...can you imagine? What f***ing losers" while also talking shit about Wilson's girlfriend. The guy still thought he was hot shit even while he was barely getting time as a 4th line grinder. Garbage human.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
1. Alex Ovechkin
2. Scott Stevens
3. Rod Langway
4. Peter Bondra
5. Nick Backstrom
6. Mike Green
7. Calle Johansson
8. Bobby Carpenter (more due to that magical year he had, was awfully fun to watch)
9. Mike Ridley (yeoman work, was just such a solid 2-way player, really appreciated his game)
10. Kevin Hatcher

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Bite your tongue my friend.

Simon may have been a “one season” wonder when he scored almost 30 — but he was the most feared fighter in the game for much of his career. He was a heavy weight before he started to score goals.

And he stayed a heavy weight until he hung them up. Dude was a stud, and could hit with the best of them.

I love me some Simon (and Ridley, if you couldn’t tell :sarcasm:)
I think the younger fans here don't realize just how fierce the heavy weights were. And many really had no business being in the NHL in the grand scheme of play. So getting some offensive production from that type of player was a glorious luxury.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I think the younger fans here don't realize just how fierce the heavy weights were. Any many really had no business being in the NHL in the grand scheme of play. So getting some offensive production from that type of player as a glorious luxury.
It could be my childhood coloring things but Simon and Witt were both freaks. I still remember the article about Witt being hit by a vehicle and just being like "yeah, whatever, had worse" and going out and playing in the game

and between them he seemed like the lightweight.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It could be my childhood coloring things but Simon and Witt were both freaks. I still remember the article about Witt being hit by a vehicle and just being like "yeah, whatever, had worse" and going out and playing in the game

and between them he seemed like the lightweight.
Witt for me it as always a mixed expectation bag in my early years of NHL draft nicking. The specter of Stevens as probably unfair I had an all to brief time with Stevens being on the caps but the loss of that type of player probably was a fan weighted expectation that Witt being the same type of player.

That was sort of a tough time type Caps prospects wise basically Bondra was the one on the future side that ultimately panned out. Which was why my Bondra 93-94 authentic home jersey was an expensive purchase for my poor ass self at the time. Full disclosure the only other jersey I have is a Backstrom Bynras jersey with the rainbow shoulders.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If you would have told me 20 years ago the Caps would have an offensive defenseman play his entire career as a Cap, score a golden goal in the juniors for USA, and spend his day with the Cup in Montgomery County, MD, and he would only be my 2nd favorite Cap, it would have been like when Ragnar’s brother sees the seer in Vikings. Surprised he’s not high on most lists.

He’s a bit under appreciated for sure right now. He isn’t aging so well, and his flaws have become magnified the past 2 years.

I think when he retires, people will remember him fondly, a bit like how people feel nostalgic about Mike Green.

I always really liked Carlson, I just wish he could be more energetic at times. He looks like he smoked a full joint before a game at times haha.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Bondra
OV
Kolzig
Langway
Fedorov
DSP
Wardo