Your 10 Favorite Caps Ever

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Couldn’t include Gonch or Stevens because of how they left us to win elsewhere. Little Scotty obviously became the face of the Devils so just can’t be a fave Cap. And Gonchar wasn’t a Devil, but he did sell his soul to the devil (Pens)… so no.

Ugh. I forgot Gonchar. And we saw how truly great he was when he went to the Pens. Its a tossup between Kuz and him at my number 10 spot.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Alex Ovechkin in the 10 different Caps jerseys he’s worn.

Honorable Mentions:
Kolzig
Bondra
C. Johansson
Hunter
Gonchar
Holtby
Oates
Backstrom
Wilson

It’s fairly easy to tell how old I am.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Did this a few days ago so it's nice seeing the love for Dahlin & co.

Top 10 Favs:
Nicky
Peter
Ulfie
Gaets
Gus
Dale
Calle
Kelly
Rod
Scott

Wow, those selections really show my age!

Honorable Mention:
Feds
Bobby Gould (esp for bashing Lemieux just below our Sec 108 seats) (the best I could find)
Al Jensen
Mike Knuble
TJ
Ryan W
Willie

Rushmore Holtby Ovie Langway Dale

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Did this a few days ago so it's nice seeing the love for Dahlin & co.

Top 10 Favs:
Nicky
Peter
Ulfie
Gaets
Gus
Dale
Calle
Kelly
Rod
Scott

Wow, those selections really show my age!

Honorable Mention:
Feds
Bobby Gould (esp for bashing Lemieux just below our Sec 108 seats) (the best I could find)
Al Jensen
Mike Knuble
TJ
Ryan W
Willie

Rushmore Holtby Ovie Langway Dale
not even an HM for Olaf?

Last edited:

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
not even an HM for Olaf?
Probably deserved, but I tried to keep the HMs in check. Also, since the assignment was "favorite" Caps, I'm being honest in leaving Olie off both Top Ten and HMs. Great in '98 but lost his focus afterwards (how many goals did he allow on the opponents' first shot?) and left in a huff.

Reactions: Calicaps

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If you would have told me 20 years ago the Caps would have an offensive defenseman play his entire career as a Cap, score a golden goal in the juniors for USA, and spend his day with the Cup in Montgomery County, MD, and he would only be my 2nd favorite Cap, it would have been like when Ragnar’s brother sees the seer in Vikings. Surprised he’s not high on most lists.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Ovi/Bondra. Grew up watching Bondra try to carry this team. He never got enough credit.

Kolzig. Teenager when he became awesome and it was amazing that we had a top 5 goalie.

Green. Mike "its going to be 7-2 somebody" Green. His one man breakouts were awesome till
pronger got him

Kuzy/Backtrom/Williams

Oates
Calle Johansson
Phil Housley

Id say the older guys but I was a little kid when they were caps.

Stevens
Murphy

capsovi7878

Mar 5, 2017
My top to ever

1 Ovie
2 bondra
3. Backstrom
4. Kolzig
5. Gonchar
6. Jim Carey
7. Povinka
8. Carlson
9. Green
10. Oshie

CfAaPnS74

Jan 8, 2008
My favorites to watch (in no particular order)

Ovechkin
Backstrom
Wilson
Oshie
Bondra
Gartner
Iafrate
Stevens
Pivonka
Kolzig

Mt. Rushmore: Ovechkin / Backstrom / Bondra / Langway

Reactions: RandyHolt

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Alex Ovechkin in the 10 different Caps jerseys he’s worn.

Honorable Mentions:
Kolzig
Bondra
C. Johansson
Hunter
Gonchar
Holtby
Oates
Backstrom
Wilson

It’s fairly easy to tell how old I am.

You never saw the 80s, right? No mention of Langway, Gartner or Stevens.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Mike Knuble is another great one that didn't make my top 10. Didn't have a long enough a career here. But he's a player you win a Cup with.

Also a thread that is 4 pages long and no mention of Devante Smith-Pelly? Not even a HM?

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Mike Knuble is another great one that didn't make my top 10. Didn't have a long enough a career here. But he's a player you win a Cup with.

Also a thread that is 4 pages long and no mention of Devante Smith-Pelly? Not even a HM? Guy made us all forget about John Druce.
Mmmm nah…..

DukeDog13

Dec 10, 2010
Richmond, VA
1. Matt Hendricks
2. Peter Bondra
3. Ovi
4. Matt Bradley
5. Brooks Laich
6. Sasha Semin
7. Donald Brashear
8. Godzilla
9. Nate Schmidt
10. Holtby tied with DSP

It's a weird one, I know.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Randy Holt
Scott Stevens
Alan May
Craig Berube
Chris Simon
Mark Tinordi
Tom Wilson
Donald Brashear
Brendan Witt
Alex Ovechkin

Mt Rushmore: Mike Palmateer, Don Beaupre, Olie Kolzig, Braden Holtby.
Loved Beaupre

He went a bit crazy with the double padded saves. I remember one close to the blue line! Tinordi was a beast, and Simon was a bit of a one hit wonder.

I have Iafrate above Witt and Tindordi simply for the end to end 1 man break out, slap shots, and wondrous lucius locks.

Kono easily beats May

Reactions: Corby78

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
There‘s a game from 1994 on NHLN where Bourque had 5 A, Kerry Fraser out there screwing us left and right

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Loved Beaupre

He went a bit crazy with the double padded saves. I remember one close to the blue line! Tinordi was a beast, and Simon was a bit of a one hit wonder.

I have Iafrate above Witt and Tindordi simply for the end to end 1 man break out, slap shots, and wondrous lucius locks.

Kono easily beats May

Don't forget Beaupre giving Mario a stick to the chest during playoffs! All great dudes!

Ugh. I forgot Gonchar. And we saw how truly great he was when he went to the Pens. Its a tossup between Kuz and him at my number 10 spot.
My favorite Gonchar was the 98 playoffs. I wasn't much of a fan, but he went another level during the 98 run.

Reactions: RandyHolt

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
1. Matt Hendricks
2. Peter Bondra
3. Ovi
4. Matt Bradley
5. Brooks Laich
6. Sasha Semin
7. Donald Brashear
8. Godzilla
9. Nate Schmidt
10. Holtby tied with DSP

It's a weird one, I know.

Not weird at all. I loved Matt Hendricks and most will say he's the shootout king!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Kono easily beats May

Alan May and I shared the same hair stylist back in the mid/late 90s - That's entirely sufficient to make my list :D She would always tell me I just missed seeing him by a few hours, and I would tell her to schedule us back to back and she would tell me to pound sand.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Also a thread that is 4 pages long and no mention of Devante Smith-Pelly? Not even a HM? Guy made us all forget about John Druce.

Despite the defense lacking, I really thought the Knuble signing would put the Caps over the top during his time with them. I remember jumping when Caps signed him on UFA day lol.

Alan May and I shared the same hair stylist back in the mid/late 90s - That's entirely sufficient to make my list :D She would always tell me I just missed seeing him by a few hours, and I would tell her to schedule us back to back and she would tell me to pound sand.

That's awesome! He seems like a good guy to hang out with and he's great post NHL career too.

Loved Beaupre

Kono easily beats May

Kono-Halpern-Dahlen one of the best Cap's lines ever!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Despite the defense lacking, I really thought the Knuble signing would put the Caps over the top during his time with them. I remember jumping when Caps signed him on UFA day lol.

That's awesome! He seems like a good guy to hang out with and he's great post NHL career too.

Kono-Halpern-Dahlen one of the best Cap's lines ever!
Knuble may have put us over the top until Hal F'in Gill backed him into the crease waiving off the game 7 tying goal vs Montreal... back breaker call. Heel of his skate barely on the crease was all because 6 foot 700 Gill backed into him. He didn't touch Halak who IIRC flopped and sold it as did Gill who threw his arms up into the air. Hockey refs were so dumb and gullible.

I still love the series winning assist vs Boston. He blocked a shot and lowered his head and plowed his way up ice through Tool man leading to an easy goal for Joel Ward.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad