Post-Game Talk: YoungStars Classic | Game 2 | Flames def. Canucks 4-3 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Take away the Subban name ,and give him the name Joe smith,he would have been gone long ago.

Why? 39 points in 71 games is good for a rookie. He has defensive issues but rookie is a rookie and the AHL is a corrective/development league.

I guess we really need his contract slot for guys with NHL upsides like Stewart.

Last edited:

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
He looks to be all that's advertised, but against this talent pool a 22 yr-old and veteran of an NCAA championship should sparkle. I think he needs to start in Utica and should remain with the exception of an occasional call-up if needed, but remains a Comet until he flat out proves he is just too good to be there.

The Canucks have enough guys signed that won't be demoted and guys they are trying to figure out so there is time to allow Stecher to get his pro game under his belt. It won't hurt Vancouver at all and will only be of benefit to him.

I fully agree that he should spend the entirety of the season in Utica. He may be able to keep afloat in Vancouver, but I think playing top 4 minutes and #1 PP time will do wonders for his game. But if we have injuries beyond Pedan, Sbisa, and Biega, I can see him coming up ahead of Jordan, as it seems if his defensive game is more polished.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
Calgary fan chiming in, not really a good game at all, from either team!
Best players on the ice? Vancouver goalies IMO.

Subban is scary good offensively, and scary bad in the dzone. Actually he is rarely in the dzone and that is the problem!

Tkachuk looked like a meathead out there. There are borderline hits and then there is that. It was a late hit and he is lucky he did not get kicked out of the game for it. I love guys that play with an edge and play on the edge. Tkachuk is playing over the edge right now. Costing his team as he sits in the box! Needs to grow up a little. Love the player yet another year in junior is probably best. Based off 3 games!
Demko looked good, really good!

I thought Kylington looked great out there. Andersson solid too. Yet Kylingtons skating is amazing. Give the kid another year in the A and 10 more pounds of muscle and a little more coaching we could have a player.

Like Mangiapane, was not to impressed with Janko. Big center but is it me, seemed like he lost every faceoff. Drinking tonight so I could be wrong.

If I was picking future stars in the NHL based off this game only, Demko would be one, and Kylington.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I fully agree that he should spend the entirety of the season in Utica. He may be able to keep afloat in Vancouver, but I think playing top 4 minutes and #1 PP time will do wonders for his game. But if we have injuries beyond Pedan, Sbisa, and Biega, I can see him coming up ahead of Jordan, as it seems if his defensive game is more polished.

If Chad Billins lives up to his billing, you might get him first.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Subban extremely disappointing throughout the tournament. Nice goal but otherwise mostly brutal in today's game. Made sloppy passes that put others in trouble and got chasing around his zone and drawn out of position. Looked very small and mostly inadequate.

Has no chance of making the team playing like this and would be of little help to Utica as well.

Still this is the way Subban started in Utica last year and he did improve immensely as the season progressed so that can be hoped for. If not, then the team might want to see if they can get something out of Nashville for him (so he can join his brother) before he loses any perceived value.

Defense, in general, today was shoddy. Sautner was probably the best but he had his problems as well. Brisebois didn't screw up as much but there was little out of him in terms of high end speed or play. Very meh. Both Olsen and Neill were bad. Neither looks at all like a prospect. Olsen looks like an absolute write off.

Stewart reverted to form and got very clumsy handling the puck.

Another disappointment in the tournament was LaBate. Banged around but he showed zero skill. Got to the net at times but it was all hack and wack when he got there.

Another with no touch around the net was Valk. Seemingly got worse as the tournament went on ended up fighting the puck a lot.

To me, this was Cassels best game and he was quick at times. Still he is a long ways from where he needs to be. However, I do see him being more of a factor in Utica this year. Maybe wishful thinking here as his skating (especially stops and starts) must improve but he is at least a good positional player.

Real revelation for the Canucks was Carcone. He has the wheels to be with or ahead of the play and can change gears to adjust to a situation. Makes it comfortable for him to keep up with the play which was unlike some who had to be constantly exerting themselves to get back in the play. Also, plays with his head and very composed with the puck.

I don't think any other forward showed enough to get excited about. Some like Roy may get a chanced in Utica.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'm not really sure why all the focus is on Subban. It was Sautner and Stewart who got turn-styled multiple times in the Calgary game. Yes, Subban was a bit of an adventure in the defensive zone, but most of it looked like poor communication with his defensive partner and forwards. The first CGY goal is all on Stewart - Subban made a very receivable pass across the zone to him and he simply fell down.

Last edited:

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Subban had a poor tournament, especially given that he's now one of the older players with pro experience but I have a hard time putting much stock into this tournament. Obviously I would have rather he had a better performance but I'll wait until camp and preseason to make a better judgement.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know the sample size is still small, but after watching the Canuck games and a few others in this tournament, Jimbo made the right call picking Juolevi over Tkachuk imo....Tkachuk already being compared to Sean Avery, and may morph into a Claude Lemieux-type that teams love to hate...but right now the Canucks are in far greater need of a young, impact d-man to re-make their blueline.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Nah, haven't you been following the flow? Demko is to be the man in Utica. If he's on target, Miller gets dealt at the TDL, Demko comes up. Next season (2017-18) he goes 50-50 with Marky, but could take the job before the year ends and then he is the #1 from 2018-19 forward.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I've been arguing your point since he signed. I wholeheartedly agree with you. It will take some time for him to become NHL ready. I see two seasons in the "A". Sharing time with Bachman this season and taking the reins next year. Then we see what happens.

Give him the Schneider treatment.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Hey c'mon now that's uncalled for... the stream quality was actually quite decent.

I was quite impressed... Game One i had playing on 43 inch, and it was ultra bright.
Game 2 was not good when i tuned in briefly.. Game 3 looked like it was almost HD quality and that was on a bigger 55' where i was expecting a resolution issue.

HUGE difference from past yrs.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I was quite impressed... Game One i had playing on 43 inch, and it was ultra bright.
Game 2 was not good when i tuned in briefly.. Game 3 looked like it was almost HD quality and that was on a bigger 55' where i was expecting a resolution issue.

HUGE difference from past yrs.

Agreed. No complaints from me. Clean, bright, easy to read the numbers.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Subban extremely disappointing throughout the tournament. Nice goal but otherwise mostly brutal in today's game. Made sloppy passes that put others in trouble and got chasing around his zone and drawn out of position. Looked very small and mostly inadequate.

Has no chance of making the team playing like this and would be of little help to Utica as well.

Still this is the way Subban started in Utica last year and he did improve immensely as the season progressed so that can be hoped for. If not, then the team might want to see if they can get something out of Nashville for him (so he can join his brother) before he loses any perceived value.

I don't think we're at all at the point of having to start with that conversation on Subban. But if he doesn't make real strides with his defensive play this year...major strides that stick, it may be the case that he's a guy who ends up shuffled out eventually, or thrown in to a deal somewhere.

That said, i don't really see how you're going to get any perceived value for him at this point. He has some value to the Canucks system in that we've already sunk in the pick to select him and he's shown something - much better than most of our mid-round picks anyway. But for other teams, they're going to see exactly the same thing...a tiny offensive defenceman who posted some pretty decent AHL points for a rookie, but with pretty serious defensive shortcomings. What is anyone going to trade for that? :laugh:

The whole Subban bloodlines thing is a double-edged sword there as well. On the one hand, it gets him recognition that a player of his ilk would otherwise likely not garner. On the other hand, it makes him a potential headache for management-fan relations if he continues to be unready for the NHL...but you're bound to end up with fans wanting him in the NHL anyway. That can be a minor headache that other teams would probably just as much prefer to avoid. Even the Predators, what purpose would they have for Jordan Subban, when they already have the genuine article PK Subban? And a vastly superior version of that Jordan Subban type player in Ellis as well? Plus a smattering of much better defence prospects like Fabbro, Carrier, Murphy, and now Girard and Allard added as well?

I mean, don't get me wrong...i love me some of the Preds prospects. Plenty i'd like to acquire. But it doesn't really make any sense. :dunno:

Jordan Subban has no real "value" to anyone else at this point. It'd just be a swap of longshots or a throw-in sweetner to a bigger deal or something.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
it was pretty funny to see Stewart's complete lack of puckmoving ability on display live.

It was the most cringe puck handling, passing, and having in general that I've watched since I saw my brothers team in pee wee.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
I'm not really sure why all the focus is on Subban. It was Sautner and Stewart who got turn-styled multiple times in the Calgary game. Yes, Subban was a bit of an adventure in the defensive zone, but most of it looked like poor communication with his defensive partner and forwards. The first CGY goal is all on Stewart - Subban made a very receivable pass across the zone to him and he simply fell down.

Sautner and Stewart looked HORRIBLE. Two classic Benning signings. How could the Canucks have possibly given Stewart a contract? It boggles the mind.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Incredible the disparity between the first four and five and six, eh?

yea its almost like when i said nylander isnt as good as he appears because he got slid into baby games at the end of the season against non playoff teams that stopped trying.

nah jake has it wayyyyyyy tougher playing preseason and games in october that actually matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad