Post-Game Talk: YoungStars Classic | Game 2 | Flames def. Canucks 4-3 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
All the defense have struggled tonight. Bad passes leading to turn overs trying to get out of their own ends, fumbles, mixed assignments, Sautner iirc has a really weak attempt to so someone one on one and just got plowed through and flails around aimlessly.

Guessing a lot of these guys gassed.

Sautner has been pretty bad as well, but I saw some smart short crisp passes out of him, while I saw very few redeeming plays from Subban especially when you consider the drastic difference in ice times......and of course Sautner falls to give Calgary the short handed breakaway and win as I type to defend him...

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Subban was pathetic that game. Something is not clicking in that young man's mind.

I thought Carcone was the best Canuck. Gertiag was very good. Demko was adeqeute. LaPlante, Labate, Cassels all had good games. Sauntner had a few good shifts but didn't show much. Abols is fast but that's about it. Those are the only guys to really make an impression on me today.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Subban was pathetic that game. Something is not clicking in that young man's mind.

I thought Carcone was the best Canuck. Gertiag was very good. Demko was adeqeute. LaPlante, Labate, Cassels all had good games. Sauntner has a few good shifts but didn't show much. Abols is fast but that's about it. Those are the only guys to really make an impression on me today.
Where did this Carcone guy came from?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....that Canuck blueline was laughably bad....turnovers, guys getting turnstyled....and two of the shakiest were to the two guys who played in Utica last season Saunter and Subban.....0 for 9 on the pp and another shorthanded goal against....Garteig looks like a real keeper.....should have been 6-3 in the third period alone...don't know how they do it, but for some reason the Canucks just keep unearthing goaltenders.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Considering that Calgary iced Jankowski, Tkachuk, Andersson, Kylington, Dube, and we basically iced a bunch of career AHLers and ECHLers, it was a close game and not that bad a result. Calgary basically iced their best prospect team short of Gillies.

With ALL of our highly drafted forwards of the last 2 years not being iced, it was a decent result. Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Zhukenov, and Stukel all of whom did not play today, as well as Juolevi and Stecher. On paper at least, I think we would easily win a best prospect on best prospect game.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
All I learned from this tourney is how good a coach green is getting THIS much from so little.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Other than the goal, Subban has been absolutely terrible. So many short handed chances for Calgary a direct result of his casual play. Several failed keep-ins on the power play, the only sustained offensive pressure on the power-play was with Subban off the ice. He will not see a call-up this season with both Biega and Stecher firmly ahead of him, unless he makes huge strides on the defensive side of the puck.

Subban will have a game like that, gets sat out the next game and then plays well the next few games. Pretty much what we experienced in Utica last season. Green will not put up with his lackluster play....

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hey if subban scores every bad game he has, Ill take it.:laugh:

Especially since I am one of his biggest fans. I raged so hard last year at him not having 1 game last year with us.

And you are witnessing why up close and personal. He is like a runaway train going up and down the mountain. Good going up, but a nightmare coming down. Some nights very little bad. Some nights very little good. Most nights a little of both. When (if) he reduces the bads and the goods heavily outweigh them, he'll be ready. I think he can get there.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I believe so.

Listed as a C/RW by eliteprospects.com when signed. Grenier is the only serious RW they have had except the short stint by Conacher, who is actually a center himself. Carcone will be a RW in Utica, if he makes it. Rendulic, Grenier, and Bancks have the 1st, 2nd, and 4th line RW spots right now.

That's why there is training camp, but I had him penciled in as the#3 RW before this tourney started and he is looking good so far.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Considering that Calgary iced Jankowski, Tkachuk, Andersson, Kylington, Dube, and we basically iced a bunch of career AHLers and ECHLers, it was a close game and not that bad a result. Calgary basically iced their best prospect team short of Gillies.

With ALL of our highly drafted forwards of the last 2 years not being iced, it was a decent result. Boeser, Gaudette, Lockwood, Zhukenov, and Stukel all of whom did not play today, as well as Juolevi and Stecher. On paper at least, I think we would easily win a best prospect on best prospect game.

Just for fun:
Carcone-Cassels-Boeser
Stukel-Gaudette-Lockwood
Marc Olivier Roy-Zhukenov-Jasek
Maksimovich-LaBate-D'Aoust

Juolevi-Stecher
Brisebois-Subban
Sautner-Candella

Demko
Garteig

Not the best, but I think would be one of the better ones in the Youngstars Classic. But I guess if you include Boeser, you would have to include McDavid and Laine as well...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
He's busted his ass and made some plays happen as a result. If you reward hard work, he's got a good case.

I think most of these guys' trips to the main camp will be rather brief, though.

Probably. They will be reassigned to Utica. It's the natural chain of regression.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Other than the goal, Subban has been absolutely terrible. So many short handed chances for Calgary a direct result of his casual play. Several failed keep-ins on the power play, the only sustained offensive pressure on the power-play was with Subban off the ice. He will not see a call-up this season with both Biega and Stecher firmly ahead of him, unless he makes big strides on the defensive side of the game.

No excuses from this guy whatsoever, BUT.

Subban and his teammates will be tuned into each other and their styles of play. The multiple errors you see in this tourney will be reduced largely due to guys knowing how to play with him and his wings being clipped just a little by Green. It worked very well in Utica last season once this was all straightened out. These guys out there today have no concept of how to merge their games with his.

As 'go comets' said a few posts back, Green will not put up with his poor play. He's seen the press box enough times and played enough great games to prove that.

Last edited:

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
No excuses from this guy whatsoever, BUT.

Subban and his teammates will be tuned into each other and their styles of play. The multiple errors you see in this tourney will be reduced largely due to guys knowing how to play with him and his wings being clipped just a little by Green. It worked very well in Utica last season once this was all straightened out. These guys out there today have no concept of how to merge their games with his.

I hope you're right because despite the negativity, I am a big fan of Subban.

On a separate note BG, I'm curious about what you think of Stecher so far.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
valk has the finishing of an echler

Maybe now the Utica site won't be flooded with Vancouver souls chastising the coaching staff for not putting the "speedy, high scoring Valk" into the lineup the first time there is a player shortage. As you can plainly see, he is not talented enough added to his lack of physicality for the AHL. His value is as a depth player in case of emergency and that depth position is in the ECHL.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I won't be surprise if Demko ends up a backup behind Bachman at some point. It takes times for goalie to get used to pro hockey

Nah, haven't you been following the flow? Demko is to be the man in Utica. If he's on target, Miller gets dealt at the TDL, Demko comes up. Next season (2017-18) he goes 50-50 with Marky, but could take the job before the year ends and then he is the #1 from 2018-19 forward.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I've been arguing your point since he signed. I wholeheartedly agree with you. It will take some time for him to become NHL ready. I see two seasons in the "A". Sharing time with Bachman this season and taking the reins next year. Then we see what happens.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I hope you're right because despite the negativity, I am a big fan of Subban.

On a separate note BG, I'm curious about what you think of Stecher so far.

He looks to be all that's advertised, but against this talent pool a 22 yr-old and veteran of an NCAA championship should sparkle. I think he needs to start in Utica and should remain with the exception of an occasional call-up if needed, but remains a Comet until he flat out proves he is just too good to be there.

The Canucks have enough guys signed that won't be demoted and guys they are trying to figure out so there is time to allow Stecher to get his pro game under his belt. It won't hurt Vancouver at all and will only be of benefit to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad