Youngest Active Player Who Will be a HHOF if Career Ended Today

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
from the 2008 draft, stamkos has the numbers but none if the substance. he eventually will get in as the shooter version of thornton but he will have to hit 600 goals before it’s a foregone conclusion.

karlsson is awfully close already, i think. 10 seasons, two norrises, two runners up, that’s a very high bar. but even though he’s played about as many games as bure and lindros and is just about as memorable as they were, i have a hard time with him never leading his team to the finals, though obviously he was tantalizingly close in 2017 and that was one hell of a signature run for him. but i still think, given how long bure and lindros had to wait, that he isn’t 100%.

but doughty is 100%. he only has 95% of karlsson’s regular season resume but could/should have won two conn smythes and was one of canada’s two best defencemen for two olympic golds. he’s a lock.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
from the 2008 draft, stamkos has the numbers but none if the substance. he eventually will get in as the shooter version of thornton but he will have to hit 600 goals before it’s a foregone conclusion.
Stamkos will get in, barring a complete career collapse from now (or maybe revelations that he's a gambler or wife-beater, etc.). I think he'd already be a lock, if not for (a) the Work-stoppage/Short season of 2012-13 and (b) his subsequent leg injury the following year. Those really cost him numbers.

Following seasons of 51, 45, and 60 goals, Stamkos put up 29 goals and 57 points in 48 games of the short 2012-13 season. Projecting to a full season, that pace puts him at around 42 goals and 97 points. Then, the next year, before blowing out his leg, he had 25 goals in 37 games, a small sample for sure, but a pace for 55 goals and maybe 85-90 points. So, potentially, if not for the Work Stoppage and his leg-injury being back-to-back, he would have had six straight 40+ goal seasons (and 36 the year after all that). That would have been enough to guarantee him HOF status by now, I think.

As it is, he's still a near lock, but we'll see how the latter part of his career plays out.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
karlsson is awfully close already, i think. 10 seasons, two norrises, two runners up, that’s a very high bar. but even though he’s played about as many games as bure and lindros and is just about as memorable as they were, i have a hard time with him never leading his team to the finals, though obviously he was tantalizingly close in 2017 and that was one hell of a signature run for him. but i still think, given how long bure and lindros had to wait, that he isn’t 100%.

but doughty is 100%. he only has 95% of karlsson’s regular season resume but could/should have won two conn smythes and was one of canada’s two best defencemen for two olympic golds. he’s a lock.

Man, that’s like giving a “Yeah, but” to Doug Gilmour in the 1993 playoffs. To me, what Erik Karlsson did in the 2017 playoffs is worth more than what a lot of people did through four rounds, Doughty included.

Even in the Olympics, he couldn’t catch a break. Leading scorer of the tournament on a team that was undefeated heading into the Gold Medal game (wasn’t there something absurd like no one had scored against Sweden while we was on the ice?) but they play Canada and Canada has four lines as good as Sweden’s top-line.

I’m a little more sympathetic to Karlsson for not winning than I am to Doughty for not being viewed as highly as his own teammates. Karlsson sure could have used a Justin Williams in Game 7.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Man, that’s like giving a “Yeah, but” to Doug Gilmour in the 1993 playoffs. To me, what Erik Karlsson did in the 2017 playoffs is worth more than what a lot of people did through four rounds, Doughty included.

Even in the Olympics, he couldn’t catch a break. Leading scorer of the tournament on a team that was undefeated heading into the Gold Medal game (wasn’t there something absurd like no one had scored against Sweden while we was on the ice?) but they play Canada and Canada has four lines as good as Sweden’s top-line.

I’m a little more sympathetic to Karlsson for not winning than I am to Doughty for not being viewed as highly as his own teammates. Karlsson sure could have used a Justin Williams in Game 7.

i agree with all that. i don’t think karlsson’s a lock but he’s close already. but as for the gilmour comparison, dougie had 1,400 points and was passed over five times before he got in. if he retired in 1993 for emotionally neutral reasons, does he get in?

whereas i don’t think there’s a non-dog fighting way to keep doughty out already. kind of like how suter may be the better player (though i do think dd > ek so far but i’d certainly entertain arguments) but weber undeniably has the greater career, ie dd’s resume checks every box (twice).

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
If something terrible happened to McDavid tomorrow, and he was unable to continue his hockey career, I would vote him in.

A lot of guys have been pegged as the one whom the torch will be passed to. Not all of them can live up to these types of expectations. McDavid has lived up to "the best player in the world title" his first few seasons in the NHL, or at the very least "the player that every GM would want for his team". And there's nothing to indicate that his relative level of play would not continue throughout his prime. This is an easy one for me.

Reactions: scott clam

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
For some odd reason, two Norrises by themselves are good enough for the HHOF, but two Vezinas aren't. Even Vezina+Hart aren't. Weird, eh?

You're just being flippant, right? You don't actually take this stance I assume...?

it raises an interesting question, and of relevance here given that we’re talking about short peaks/careers: is there a dman equivalent to tim tom or bob?

Reactions: Sentinel

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Guys, let's be real here. McDavid is on pace for his 4th straight 100+ point year and he has gotten better every year. The last player to score 4 straight 100 point seasons? Steve Yzerman between 1989-'93 (he actually had 6 form 1987-'93). No one else has done 4 in a row since then. If the answer to the original question isn't McDavid, I have to ask why........

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
it raises an interesting question, and of relevance here given that we’re talking about short peaks/careers: is there a dman equivalent to tim tom or bob?

I'll go down that road because it's a forum for discussion, but there's a mighty difference - for me - between having a short, dominant peak and being unable to continue and not being good enough for the league and then being right place right time (in a lot of regards)...

So I'd want that framing...Thomas is more, I don't know, someone who only played well in 1944 and 45 and then was in the minors again by 1950...Pat Egan maybe? Just not good enough except in the very specific Boston system...and the eye test obviously backs that...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll go down that road because it's a forum for discussion, but there's a mighty difference - for me - between having a short, dominant peak and being unable to continue and not being good enough for the league and then being right place right time (in a lot of regards)...

So I'd want that framing...Thomas is more, I don't know, someone who only played well in 1944 and 45 and then was in the minors again by 1950...Pat Egan maybe? Just not good enough except in the very specific Boston system...and the eye test obviously backs that...

Pat Egan played more than 550 games in an era when a player could get in the HHOF with 350 games. Not sure he's your best example here.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
bill white?

carl brewer is a different sort of case but just on resume and not counting WHA accomplishments maybe he sheds some light here?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012

Ummm, excuse me, which major trophies did Pat Egan win?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Guys like Andreychuck and Housley are in the HOF, but some people still say it's "arguable" that guys like McDavid and Karlsson get in lol.
Andreychuk has done more worth remembering than McDavid to date.

This is not a skillset analysis. It is a PERFORMANCE review, as is a Hall of Fame induction.

Reactions: frisco

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Andreychuk has done more worth remembering than McDavid to date.

This is not a skillset analysis. It is a PERFORMANCE review, as is a Hall of Fame induction.

lmao... so you'd rather have a couple of top ten goal scoring finishes playing with a guy like Gilmour and a Stanley Cup playing on a team with multiple players better than you than three First-Team All-Star selections, two Art Rosses, two Pearsons and a Hart?

'kay.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
How do you get the Hart trophy when your team misses the playoffs?

So you are trying to say someone can not be valuable if their team is not in the playoffs? This is the same old moronic bs the voters are dishing out every year.

Does it say something about only playoff-players in the trophy description? No.

Are you more valuable to your team if you drag a bunch of 13-year-old girls to 4 wins for the season, than a guy who rides in a powerhouse to 130 points? Yes.

McDavid is the most valuable player in the league.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
MLB baseball has a ten year minimum service time to make the Hall. Does hockey have anything similar? Should it? Personally, seven years would seem reasonable.

My Best-Carey

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
MLB baseball has a ten year minimum service time to make the Hall. Does hockey have anything similar? Should it? Personally, seven years would seem reasonable.
In the words of my misguided-childhood megachurch Pastor: No! No!! Ten thousand times NO!!

Fantastic career cut short due to tragic death or debilitating injury. Too bad- you didn't play seven years. f*** that.

The HoF doesn't have enough non-NHL Euros as it is. A seven year service requirement wouldn't figure to make things any easier. Also, the HoF is starting to honor female players. Ya gonna impose a seven-year service requirement for THEM, too!?!

As long as we're contrasting Hs-o-F, there's really nothing irrevocably flawed about the HHoF that a generous dose of sunlight and transparency wouldn't fix. Granted, the Baseball HoF may cough up their hairballs like George Kelly & Harold Baines... but in those instances, we can at least see the fingerprints and hold apparatchiks like Tony LaRussa accountable, heap scorn and ridicule upon them, and mentally adjust around their brain-farts. To the extent that our ridicule might discourage future enuresis, so much the better.

Where do we go to publicly humiliate the parties responsible for the Phil Housley induction? Anyone out there want to come forward and say that they were instrumental in his ascent? Step up. Show yourselves! Cowards. :blackcat:s.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad