Youngest Active Player Who Will be a HHOF if Career Ended Today

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
We all know that players like Crosby, Ovechkin, and Thornton will be future HHOFers, even if their careers ended today. So who do you consider to be the youngest player who if their career ended today with their current stats and accomplishments would eventually be inducted into the HHOF?

I think the safe pick right now would be Erik Karlsson. He's a few months younger than Stamkos. He won the Norris twice, is a four time NHL First Team All-Star, lead the NHL in assists once as a defenceman, and has a high points/game percentage for a defenceman. He hasn't had a ton of team success in the NHL, but does have an Olympic silver medal.

Would McDavid have a good enough case even though he hasn't even played 400 games? A Hart, two Lindsay's, two Art Ross trophies? Clearly has one of the best players of his era.

So who do you think would be the youngest active player who based on current numbers will be a future Hall of Famer?

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Connor McDavid. If he suffers a career ending injury tonight, he's going into the HHOF.
I just can't see it. As impressive as 431 points in 325 games is. That is still less than four full seasons. Bobby Orr, who obviously had a short career, played twice as many games.

My Best-Carey

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I just can't see it. As impressive as 431 points in 325 games is. That is still less than four full seasons. Bobby Orr, who obviously had a short career, played twice as many games.

My Best-Carey

He wouldn't be getting in based on career totals. It would be because of how dominant he's been and because people would be saying that he should be inducted since he was obviously headed for a Hall of Fame career and the induction committee would be sympathetic to the fact that such a promising career ended prematurely.

He's already had a better career than a guy like Marleau and Marleau may very well get in.

Reactions: Sentinel

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Connor McDavid. If he suffers a career ending injury tonight, he's going into the HHOF.

I think after this year if he wins the Ross, hart. He’d have 4 straight 100 point seasons he’s a lock, 3 art ross, 3 hart, and possibly 2 Lindsay

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
He wouldn't be getting in based on career totals. It would be because of how dominant he's been and because people would be saying that he should be inducted since he was obviously headed for a Hall of Fame career and the induction committee would be sympathetic to the fact that such a promising career ended prematurely.
Well, it would be a unique situation for sure and precedent setting. No doubt the circumstances of his demise as a player would influence the voters.

That being said, the greatness of McDavid would not be diminished if he wasn't voted into the HOF. All hypothetical, course.

My Best-Carey

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
He's already had a better career than a guy like Marleau and Marleau may very well get in.
Well that's an interesting take. Legitimate question on what is the more valuable career. I'd rather have 18 years or whatever of Marleau than four of McDavid but it is a question of preference.

My Best-Carey

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

My Best-Carey

Mike Gartner

List of NHL accomplishments:

He's in the HHOF.

You were saying?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Im not sure, but if i know the hhof, then the player probably played for a cup winner this decade.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Silly...

To induct a guy with three full seasons and two half seasons and a single postseason 2nd round exit.

A 22 year old in the modern era?

Absurd.

Reactions: frisco

frisco

Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Mike Gartner

List of NHL accomplishments:

He's in the HHOF.

You were saying?
OK, serious question. Drafting a team from scratch with 20/20 hindsight in a time travel league. You can have 325 games of McDavid or 1400 GP (700+ goals) of Gartner? You'd really take McDavid?

My Best-Carey

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
McDavid for sure. If you don't buy that, then Karlsson/Stamkos (2008 draftees) would be the next best cases. Stamkos is heading there but may not be a lock as of today. Karlsson, on the other hand, is. He is almost a top-100 player of all-time FFS.

Next would be Kane, I guess.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
McDavid would need a good reason that elevates his case, if he just quits having lost his motivation I can't see him making it.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
OK, serious question. Drafting a team from scratch with 20/20 hindsight in a time travel league. You can have 325 games of McDavid or 1400 GP (700+ goals) of Gartner? You'd really take McDavid?

My Best-Carey

Serious question: are you seriously considering taking a notorious playoff vanisher with one whole 50-goal season to his name over even 1 season of McDavid?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Well that's an interesting take. Legitimate question on what is the more valuable career. I'd rather have 18 years or whatever of Marleau than four of McDavid but it is a question of preference.

My Best-Carey

Is this a song? I've been dying to ask.

I think McDavid is a lock because of the hardware he already has. And how dominant he was/is.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
McDavid is a genius level hockey player. Of course he gets in. He's arguably already produced more elite quality hockey play than Lindros managed to during his career.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Using point totals to scoff at McDavid seems weird to me. Yeah, there aren't any modern forwards with under 500 points in the Hall of Fame, but there are also literally no other players who have been the been an Art Ross level scorer for 4 years with nothing else on their resume to speak of. McDavid suffering a career ending injury tomorrow would be a completely sui generis case, and would not fall below any existing standards for the Hall Of Fame because there isn't one that applies. The closest thing to such a case would be Frank McGee, who either opens the door for his hypothetical induction, or proves how futile it would be to find a reasonable comparison.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad