GDT: Young Stars Tournament | Oilers vs Flames | 5pm

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Yeah it's really gone downhill lately around here.

It's quite insufferable. From players getting owned to a GM who brought in **** young talent (even though he has been at the helm of one draft), there are tons of gold.

And this isn't even a game that MATTERS. That's the scary part.

That's what years of heart-shattering losing does to a fanbase. Hopefully if we ever start winning it won't be so bad around these parts.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Judging by last night's game Nurse looks to be 4-5 years away from even making it to the NHL and Klefbom should be in the AHL this season. However, that's just based on last night's game, anything can change.

Years ago, wasn't it Jordan Schroeder who looked like he was one of the best of the tourney?

Years later, he's still barely pushing into the NHL.

I don't think we can say who's ready and who's not by this tournament because multiple times players shine, then don't do anything, or look fine, and go on to really surprise.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
tumblr_m4vf2iBoKH1r5jt46o1_400.gif

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Years ago, wasn't it Jordan Schroeder who looked like he was one of the best of the tourney?

I don't think we can say who's ready and who's not by this tournament because multiple times players shine, then don't do anything, or look fine, and go on to really surprise.

That's why I said based on last night's game. Heck, Klefbom could look like a future Norris winner next game

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
That's why I said based on last night's game. Heck, Klefbom could look like a future Norris winner next game

Yeah, I suppose my retort was a general statement, on how it's interesting how prospects can look against other prospects in these tourneys.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Yeah, I suppose my retort was a general statement, on how it's interesting how prospects can look against other prospects in these tourneys.

Oh I see. I remember this Sgarbossa guy who I think was on the Sharks rookie team a couple years ago. He lit us up but I wonder where he is now...

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Judging by last night's game Nurse looks to be 4-5 years away from even making it to the NHL and Klefbom should be in the AHL this season. However, that's just based on last night's game, anything can change.

If you just base it on last nights game Nurse will never be a NHL player, forget 4-5 years. However, it was just one game. I think Nurse is 1-2 years away from the NHL, not 4-5. I think 4-5 is just plain nuts.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If you just base it on last nights game Nurse will never be a NHL player, forget 4-5 years. However, it was just one game. I think Nurse is 1-2 years away from the NHL, not 4-5. I think 4-5 is just plain nuts.

I would say he needs 1 year in junior and 1 year in the AHL at least. He's still very lanky and needs to put on some muscle before we throw him into the fire.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
As much as I'm optimistic about Nurse's potential, in my heart I was hoping for Horvat or Ristolainen once Monahan was taken by the Flamers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hmm, just checked Rajala's stats page. Full season with Brandon Wheat Kings. Full season with Stockton and OKC. Jordan Eberle managed to outproduce him in that latter gig.

But, evidently he has no interest in North America, so that is that.

Now, let's all get back to watching some of that high end skill that MacT has brought in for this Young Stars tournament.

triple+facepalm.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The worse thing about this tourney in particular is the gap in development between the various players

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I would say he needs 1 year in junior and 1 year in the AHL at least. He's still very lanky and needs to put on some muscle before we throw him into the fire.

perhaps, I just don't know where people come up with 4-5 years. That is just a bust, I mean some players do make the NHL after 4-5 years, but we are talking 4th and 5th round draft picks that are late bloomers. Not a big strong D man who went 7th over all. No projection curve puts those guys in the NHL in 4-5 years. By that standards Seth Jones must be 2-3 years away. Gundbransson, Larsson, and Hedman would still be in the minors.

oiler-dude

Hmm, just checked Rajala's stats page. Full season with Brandon Wheat Kings. Full season with Stockton and OKC. Jordan Eberle managed to outproduce him in that latter gig.

But, evidently he has no interest in North America, so that is that.

Now, let's all get back to watching some of that high end skill that MacT has brought in for this Young Stars tournament.

He also left Brandon after 1 year to go back to Europe. Then came back. Clearly always had a draw to there.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
perhaps, I just don't know where people come up with 4-5 years. That is just a bust, I mean some players do make the NHL after 4-5 years, but we are talking 4th and 5th round draft picks that are late bloomers. Not a big strong D man who went 7th over all. No projection curve puts those guys in the NHL in 4-5 years. By that standards Seth Jones must be 2-3 years away. Gundbransson, Larsson, and Hedman would still be in the minors.

How far away is Dumba from becoming a NHL regular? Dylan McIlrath? Joe Morrow? There really isnt a time table even if u r drafted high.. 3 yrs would be a minimum for Nurse in my opinion. 4 to have an impact at NHL level (ie more than a bottom pairing\callup)

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

I remember Sergei Shirokov lighting up the tournament too. He went on to have a great preseason and then fade away.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
How far away is Dumba from becoming a NHL regular? Dylan McIlrath? Joe Morrow? There really isnt a time table even if u r drafted high.. 3 yrs would be a minimum for Nurse in my opinion. 4 to have an impact at NHL level (ie more than a bottom pairing\callup)

Mcllrath was a brutal pick. Morrow and Dumba will both play in the NHL this year. Morrow also wasn't drafted as high.

maybe 3, we are talking make the NHL here. not when he has a impact. Saying he won't play in the NHL for 4-5 years though?? nuts.

ps. I think most had Dumba to be in the NHL this year, but he dind't have a very good year last year.... soo... point being lets wait and see if Nurse has a good year this year. I hardly think one bad game changes much. If he has a great year, he is an oiler next year.

Last edited:

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Mcllrath was a brutal pick. Morrow and Dumba will both play in the NHL this year. Morrow also wasn't drafted as high.

maybe 3, we are talking make the NHL here. not when he has a impact. Saying he won't play in the NHL for 4-5 years though?? nuts.

ps. I think most had Dumba to be in the NHL this year, but he dind't have a very good year last year.... soo... point being lets wait and see if Nurse has a good year this year. I hardly think one bad game changes much. If he has a great year, he is an oiler next year.

I would be shocked to see either get significant time in the NHL this year. Maybe Dumba gets 9 games, but in what world does Morrow crack Boston's lineup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad