Young Stars Classic Tournament - September 11-14th

evdog

Oct 15, 2014
San diego
What impressed me most out of this whole tournament was the quality of the free streaming. It really put my paid NHL Center Ice streams to shame!

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
Out of all the players on any team in this tourney, who impressed you guys the most? Personally, I'd pick Draisaitl. Guy was a beast both games I watched!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Out of all the players on any team in this tourney, who impressed you guys the most? Personally, I'd pick Draisaitl. Guy was a beast both games I watched!

Good for him. He was a top 3 pick 2 drafts ago. He should have been dominate with how much he played

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Non-Flames - Nobody really impressed me in this tourney. Maybe Mike Comrie since he shut the door on us in the second half of the Jets game.

Flames - Whereas quite a few guys met my expectations (Kulak, Mangiapane, Arnold, Bennett, Kylington) it was Rasmus Andersson who really surprised me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Apparently Mike Comrie has come out of retirement to play goal for the Jets

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Draisaitl was beastly, which is expected. Virtanen was good too. Ehlers definitely was not as good as he was last year in the tournament, imo. Morrissey had a solid tournament as well.

Jon Gillies, Rasmus Andersson and Sam Bennett (as expected) really stood out for me for Calgary.

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA
Bruins fan here, but also a Providence College season ticket holder just wondering how Gillies has looked so far. Skimming through the thread it seems like he's been solid in this young stars tournament. Thanks for letting us keep him one more year to deliver that National Championship to PC. Great kid, hoping he turns out to be a stud for you guys!

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Bruins fan here, but also a Providence College season ticket holder just wondering how Gillies has looked so far. Skimming through the thread it seems like he's been solid in this young stars tournament. Thanks for letting us keep him one more year to deliver that National Championship to PC. Great kid, hoping he turns out to be a stud for you guys!
Gillies was great in this tournament. Only 2 goals against. He only played 1 1/2 games but he was still solid. Excited to see what he can do in Stockton this year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks guys! If Kylington looks like a young Brodie that's a really good thing. His shot is superior and I remember a time when Playfair compared Brodie to Gio when he was playing for the Heat.

Brodie gets a lot of Keith comparisons. Kylington has compared his game to Keith also. All that is very nice to hear, I can't wait to watch him in main camp.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gillies was great in this tournament. Only 2 goals against. He only played 1 2/3 games but he was still solid. Excited to see what he can do in Stockton this year.
Made a slight adjustment because 10 minutes matters :laugh:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I have high hopes for Gillies, almost every time I saw PC play he was fantastic. Now you just need to keep developing Janko and Gilmour for us :naughty:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Curious since you were there you would have been able to see more than the cameras showed, how did Kanzig look to you? I only noticed him a couple times myself and it was never anything negative. Which IMO is a good thing, because with his style of game we would only notice him for big hits, fights and mistakes.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Curious since you were there you would have been able to see more than the cameras showed, how did Kanzig look to you? I only noticed him a couple times myself and it was never anything negative. Which IMO is a good thing, because with his style of game we would only notice him for big hits, fights and mistakes.
He wasn't all that noticeable. He was physical, but was nowhere near as good in that part of the game as Smith was.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He wasn't all that noticeable. He was physical, but was nowhere near as good in that part of the game as Smith was.

IMO it's unfair to compare the physicality of forwards to defenseman, it's much easier for a defenseman to make a mistake to cause a scoring chance against than a forward, so it's very important they don't chase hits at all. IIRC that was the biggest thing that had Kanzig working on. So for me I don't really see that as a downside, I really hope I see him in Stockton so I can assess him better.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
he was also playing against lesser competition too.
That's true. He seems to have all the tools to be an effective bottom six player, the question is if he can put it together. I do think he should have not gone undrafted for the second straight year. But hey, i'm obviously a lot higher on him than the scouts seem to be.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In regards to Tyson, I have seen him but I'm not at all familiar with him. All things being equal, scouts and GM's give extra points to guys that have size and ability to grow into their frame. While everyone loves Gaudreau and stories like his, they are still the exception and not the rule.

Baillie, isn't a huge player and while he isn't tiny, he may be a classic case that he's a real good junior player and that's height of his career. Like I said, I really am not informed to say either way but more players fail to make than those that do. He's an interesting story though.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Was there any official stats recorded for the tournament? I wasn't able to watch any but would like to see who made it onto the scoreboard.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was there any official stats recorded for the tournament? I wasn't able to watch any but would like to see who made it onto the scoreboard.
i think they posted scoring summaries on the Flames site but they aren't the most accurate. I noticed in game 1 they never gave Kanzig the assist on the empty netter that Klimchuk tapped in after Kanzig cleared the zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad