Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic - Flames def. Canucks 4-1 (Corrado with the lone Canucks goal)

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
I find it very impressive that over the last 2 games no matter who Jensen has been played with he manages to get himself in great position for a scoring opportunity. He's had at least 8-10 scoring chances so far if not more.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
I find it very impressive that over the last 2 games no matter who Jensen has been played with he manages to get himself in great position for a scoring opportunity. He's had at least 8-10 scoring chances so far if not more.

Indeed. He's been very solid defensively as well. In this second game especially, his compete and effort level has been a lot better.

I anticipate that he'll challenge for a spot, but will be sent down to play top line minutes in Utica. This upcoming year is a big one for him and I hope he's able to force the coaching staff to keep him up after being called up when injuries inevitably happen.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I don't think he will be anything great defensively, But I don't think he will be bad either. God I hope he has a growth spurt, because you can see his talent is off the chart.

Considering the last two Norris winners, excellent defensive play isn't a pre-requisite for winning. But I understand what you saying, however I'm a big believer that defense is more easily learned than than offensive skill. So it's not for certain that he can't be great defensively, but like you said his size will be the limiting factor in how competent a defender he is.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
He looks a little bit lost out there. But when he has time and space he's usually making a good play. The speed of the game is a little fast for him right now. Looks frustrated with himself, he's a lot better than what he's showing.

Yeah you can see the potential but he's definitely a few years away.

Aug 3, 2010
Extremely disappointed in Shinkaruk.
I did not like the way Shinkaruk expressed his frustration during the latter part of the game. Apparently, he broke his stick forcefully on the ice after messing up a play.

Don't get me wrong, showing emotion and frustration means he cares. But there are better outlets and smarter plays to do that with. He's only a kid, so he's immature and will have his growing pains, but nobody else on the team took out their dissatisfaction like that.

Attitude problems aren't as fixable as say, poor skating. He has time to develop and iron out these personality faults but I don't think anyone on the coaching staff like to see that kind of behaviour on the ice.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
He looks a little bit lost out there. But when he has time and space he's usually making a good play. The speed of the game is a little fast for him right now. Looks frustrated with himself, he's a lot better than what he's showing.

From what I see a year in the AHL will be highly beneficial to someone like him, he has the talent but needs to adapt his game at a higher level. I doubt he'll crack the roster until 2015-2016(stupid AHL age rules grrr).

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
I think Corrado is ready and maybe Subban in the next year or two. Shinkaruk and Horvat these guys need to play in there junior teams. Jensen can play in the AHL and come up and play when someone on the wing is injured.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
From what I see a year in the AHL will be highly beneficial to someone like him, he has the talent but needs to adapt his game at a higher level. I doubt he'll crack the roster until 2015-2016(stupid AHL age rules grrr).

He'll either be playing with the Canucks, or be heading back to junior for the next two seasons.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I think Corrado is ready and maybe Subban in the next year or two. Shinkaruk and Horvat these guys need to play in there junior teams. Jensen can play in the AHL and come up and play when someone on the wing is injured.

I think that's a reasonable outlook at this point. I share the exact sentiments.

Add Cassels in there, I think he's gonna be good, will take a few years though.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Not too much to be excited about after the 1st in this one; liked Jensen's game.

I thought the coaching staff slipped up a bit by scaling back Horvat, Shinkaruk and Subban's ice-time after the first. Probably just to get time to other guys, but those three were key to the attack - especially with the man advantage - when the play was going our way. Subban especially.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Not too much to be excited about after the 1st in this one; liked Jensen's game.

I thought the coaching staff slipped up a bit by scaling back Horvat, Shinkaruk and Subban's ice-time after the first. Probably just to get time to other guys, but those three were key to the attack - especially with the man advantage - when the play was going our way. Subban especially.

I actually liked what the coaching staff did. I think in a tournament like this, giving time for young kids to develop and learn is more important than the result.

Tryouts come for a chance to play, its only fair they get that.

I could care less we win or lose, just want to see what kinds of prospects we have.
And its good to see them in different scenarios, and how they react even when we were trailing.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Way too many conclusions being made around here based on a prospect's game against a clearly superior line-up. Context, people. Context.

Same thing after last game. Everyone was freaking out over how good Shinkaruk and Horvat are, now it's the opposite. Just makes no sense. Both are ridiculous extremes. No player is on 100% of the time and no player looks good against a clearly superior opposition. It's a team game.

(Same thing goes for the praises for Subban after this game.)

Last edited:

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Just arrived home, so haven't read through the previous posts but wanted to mention a few things I took out of the game.

Liked what I saw from Horvat. Positionally he was where he should be, his explosiveness from his initial strides need work, but he will surely benefit from another year in London. Do not feel that he will benefit from a year in the NHL. Let him flourish in the CHL and will see if he's ready for the dance when in 2014-2015.

Cassels will need a few years of seasoning at both the CHL and AHL level. Will say the same about Subban. Saw some things I liked, yet many things that need improvement or left to be desired. Throw Mallet in the same group, although didn't notice much besides his 2nd period tilt.

The two Swedes, in my mind didn't exactly set the world on fire. I haven't seen them play before and wasn't sure what to expect, recall a few bad breakout passes from Tommernes, Blomstrand didn't do much, only really noticed him on the PK.

I was expecting more from Jensen, he had a decent game, but being one of the elders on the team was expecting more. He should have scored tonight, had a decent shot with some room below the bar, but shot it high................theme of the night.

Corrado had a good game. Was vocal on the ice, had a few nice hits and although there were a few miss passes, he looked steady on the backend. I believe a year in the AHL, would probably be the most beneficial, but with the lack of depth on the right side, he will most likely be with the big club.

Friesen, I can't see this guy being resigned. Was quite dissapointed in his play, he better show something in Utica, or his pro career may be a short one.

Want to mention, that the prospect of J Ericksson as the 3rd string is frightening. Was clearly outplayed by Ortio who had a great game. The two glove side goals were stinkers, no chance on the forth but he has a ways to go before playing with the big boys.

For the flamers, Monahan didn't show much in the first half but was decent (like the team) in the latter part of the 2nd and third. Horvat had the better game of the two, but we shall see who becomes the better player. Also liked what I saw from Reinhart and Jooris. Thought Jooris was one of the best forwards for the visitors tonight.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Want to mention, that the prospect of J Ericksson as the 3rd string is frightening. Was clearly outplayed by Ortio who had a great game. The two glove side goals were stinkers, no chance on the forth but he has a ways to go before playing with the big boys.

Let's keep in mind this is his 2nd ever game on small ice. The angles are completely different. Ortio by comparison has played in the AHL and practiced over here quite a bit.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Again at game and would make the following observations.

Team started very well but ran into some hot goal tending and few bad bounces. Then they ran into huge penalty problems and the game turned around. Team looked bagged by the third and stopped playing like a team. Huge gaps developed in their play and play got very fragmented.

The Good

Subban - superb skater and smart with the puck. Made some great stretch passes and again was clever on the PP. Unlike others there was little fall off in his play as the game went on. Though small, he doesn't get pushed around on defense. Has to be turning the heads of Canuck brass.

Jensen - Had great first period and overall not bad. Got very individualistic in the third and tried to do too much. However, always seemed the most likely to score.Would however say that he remains inconsistent and needs more mental toughness

Horvat - thought he was solid. Showed good vision with the puck and made some excellent set ups. Showed good strength along the boards. Did note that late in the game he got behind the play when team turned over the puck but by that point team had to take some chances. Really got very little help from his line mates and seemed to get burned out killing penalties in the second.

Corrado - again showed his mobility and quickness. Showed the wheels and puck movement skills to have belief that he can move on to a higher level. Like Subban and Tommernes had to continually cover up for the poor play of his defensive partners and some of the forwards.

Friesen - was very good on the pk and strong defensively. Much better than Mallet and should be ahead of Mallet as a defensive center in Utica.

Tommernes - moved game up tonite. Sometimes too casual with the puck and adjusting to smaller playing area but very smooth skater who creates good angles for his giving and taking passes. Might question physical toughness around the net.

Meh

Shinkaruk - trying to force the play too much - needs to let the play come to him more. Looked frustrated and out of sync with others. Skill here but will need to learn how to use it better. Seemed like the harder he worked the less he was getting done. Did not look good on the pk

Blomstorm - never accomplishes much. Like last year in Chicago shows the occasional spurt but at other times seems to be trying to figure out where he should be and what he should be doing.

Mallet - again illustrated lack of puck skills. Looked gassed by the second which makes you wonder about conditioning.

The Bad

Hall - knocked on his butt all night. Play, especially on PP, died on his stick. Little point playing him further.

McEneny - looked slow and weak on the puck. Hard to see up side here.

Franson - in over his head in this company. Just nothing in his play to suggest much potential.

Guimond - fumbled with his passes, telegraphed everything, little movement off the puck, turned over pucks at the blue line leading to odd man rushed. Subban had to spent lot time trying to cover for this player. Given a chance, failed badly and time to move on.

Liberati - looked nervous and showed little ability to keep proper spacing. Held back when he should have been moving up and then rushed into situations when he shouldn't have. Hurt the play of Corrado

Overall the team had too many holes in the lineup. Made a good push in the first but this was mostly the result of the good play of a few players. Once the penalties started the better players got tired and couldn't compensate for the poor play of others

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I'm seeing some I'm disappointed in ....... People need to remember this is these players first competitive games for awhile and not too pass judgement on them just yet, they should keep on getting better when main camp happens and some of them this is their first time to something like this so nerves are clearly there.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Seems to me to be a bit over analyzing and over reaction game to game on here.

People are coming on here last night impressed with certain players, and brimming with positivity, then after a loss explaining guys are a few years away from making it. Lets wait and look at this over the long term before we jump to conclusions.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Far too many conclusions being drawn by people around here. All I have to say.

Whale

Jul 29, 2006
Victoria
Jensen is meeting all of my expectations. I saw some comments that he faded in the third, I disagree, he was all over the ice all game.

A 6'4" skilled winger with a knack for finding open ice... how can no one else be thinking that at some point he is going to become the third twin?

Is it just too good to be true?

Putting aside what may or may not happen at camp, if I was Mike Gillis I would really, really want that to happen as soon as possible.

I think a few fans on these boards still haven't come to grips with the fact that AV is gone and the words 'rookie mistake' are no longer a death sentence for our young players.

Woodtkachuk

Jun 2, 2011
Flames fan here. Only saw the third period.

Liked Subban and Jensen for the Canucks
Liked Ortio, Ferland and Granlund for the flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad