Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic - Canucks def. Oilers - 5-2

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
After watching Gaunce, I think Sutter may have been right.

I don't see him as being near ready to challenge for even a 3rd line spot this year...or depending on his development, even next year.

Another year in junior and then a year of experience in the AHL before he will be close to cracking the line up. Team is going to have to be patient with this guy.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Not unexpected for a 26th overall pick though - he's got a ways to go but I hope he can get there.

IMO the only youngsters making the team are Corrado and Lain, with Jensen being called up here and there for seasoning.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
This narrative is really dubious. He was injured because the Oilers mismanaged him? So what's Kesler's excuse? Or Booth's? Did the Canucks "rush" the perpetually injured Salo? Or Willie Mitchell?

I know it's fun to think Lowe is responsible for everything bad that happens to the Oilers, but sometimes players just get hurt.

Well I agree in that Ryan Nugent Hopkins might simply never bulk up enough to withstand the rigours of NHL hockey.

That being said while he was obviously skilled enough to make the jump to the NHL level at 18, that was never the part of his development that was in question.. it will always be a "what if" but if he'd have been able to mature a bit more before playing against men he might have stood up to it better.

Maybe it would just mean that the chronic shoulder problems would have started at 20 instead of 18, but the fact is that when a first overall pick sees their career sidetracked for any reason people are going to wonder what could have been done to avoid it.

As to your examples the Canucks didn't put any of those players into NHL action when they were clearly too small so it's a highly imperfect analogy but yes they have clearly attempted to keep Ryan Kesler in the lineup (and get Willie Mitchell into the lineup) when they were not ready to play. The extent to which that compromised their health and ability down the line is definitely on the Canucks franchise.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
As to your examples the Canucks didn't put any of those players into NHL action when they were clearly too small so it's a highly imperfect analogy but yes they have clearly attempted to keep Ryan Kesler in the lineup (and get Willie Mitchell into the lineup) when they were not ready to play. The extent to which that compromised their health and ability down the line is definitely on the Canucks franchise.

I brought up those other players just to make the point that injuries happen for all sorts of reasons, so I'm not at all sold on the idea that RNH's injury is a direct result of him being "clearly too small" and "rushed into the league". People are quick to latch onto that idea because it fits with the "Oilers are terribly managed" narrative, but I'm not convinced.

The best part is when people say, if RNH is gonna play like Kesler, he needs to be bigger and stronger, like Kesler is. And then they fail to notice that Kesler himself is always injured.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
And then they fail to notice that Kesler himself is always injured.
He gets worn down often by the end of the season which is alot different from always injured. You don't only miss 7 NHL regular season games from 6 NHL full seasons combined if that's the case (or 9 professional regular season games if you count the one full season on the Moose).

You're inferring like he's Sami Salo.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I brought up those other players just to make the point that injuries happen for all sorts of reasons, so I'm not at all sold on the idea that RNH's injury is a direct result of him being "clearly too small" and "rushed into the league". People are quick to latch onto that idea because it fits with the "Oilers are terribly managed" narrative, but I'm not convinced.

Well he'd also need an inch or two and 30 lbs to really play like Kesler does which is the point.

And I agree, right now we just don't know whether RNH is ever going to develop into the solidly built type that seems to be able to take the grind in the NHL.. whether waiting two years would have made any difference or not.

But 1. he is tiny by NHL standards 2. he joined the league at the youngest possible age and 3. the Oilers don't make good decisions so... yeah. (But like I just said it's impossible to point the finger with certainty at this point.)

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

I don't see him as being near ready to challenge for even a 3rd line spot this year...or depending on his development, even next year.

Another year in junior and then a year of experience in the AHL before he will be close to cracking the line up. Team is going to have to be patient with this guy.

That's not patience, it's a typical development curve for most young proto-NHL'ers.

Horvat may skip a step or two, but I expect Shinkaruk to progress about the same way.

People around here seem to have some unrealistic ideas of what a giant step it is for a young man to go from Junior to the big leagues. Sure, some players can do it... and some players are forced to, but it is normal for guys to take a few years. Even first round picks.

Last edited:

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
That's not patience, it's a typical development curve for most young proto-NHL'ers.

Horvat may skip a step or two, but I expect Shinkaruk to progress about the same way.

People around here seem to have some unrealistic ideas of what a giant step it is for a young man to go from Junior to the big leagues. Sure, some players can do it... and players are forced to, but it is normal for guys to take a few years. Even first round picks.

I think Shinkaruk's development is completely tied to his physical ability. Skill wise, he could probably play right now... He'd just get nicked up in game 1 and then play in effectively until he's injured. He can't play with the aggressiveness he has against nhlers without packing on some muscle.

I don't know how long it's going to take for him to mature physically. It could be 1 year, it could be 4.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

When did Sutter say this? And which one btw? :laugh:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I think Shinkaruk's development is completely tied to his physical ability. Skill wise, he could probably play right now... He'd just get nicked up in game 1 and then play in effectively until he's injured. He can't play with the aggressiveness he has against nhlers without packing on some muscle.

I don't know how long it's going to take for him to mature physically. It could be 1 year, it could be 4.

He's still got a lot to learn about the defensive side of the game... and getting bigger and/or stronger will be a necessity too.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Nah, it's something in Vancouver's water. Two guys that were partly acquired because they rarely - if ever - missed games due to injury; promptly get major injuries their first season as a Canuck (Hamhuis & Ballard).

Starting to think more and more that it was AV's/Bowness' system. :laugh: Though of course we'll see this season.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Yeah, I feel the same way. Not unexpected for a 26th overall pick though - he's got a ways to go but I hope he can get there.

IMO the only youngsters making the team are Corrado and Lain, with Jensen being called up here and there for seasoning.

Lain is not making the Canucks this season.

He looked above his head with 4th line AHL duties last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad