Post-Game Talk: Young Stars Classic - Canucks def. Oilers - 5-2

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
RNH had nothing left to prove at the Junior level, playing him in the NHL was the right move imo

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm still having a hard time following this logic from our fan base considering he scored 52 points in 62 games as a rookie.

To me that shows he was ready. The issue is they played the 3 kids together and had no protection for him.

I don't disagree with the fact that skill wise he was ready, I just don't think that his body is developed enough to take the rigors of getting slammed everyday. Your body is held together by your muscles and when you get hammered night in and night out, it only becomes a matter of time before something gets dislodge if your don't have sufficient muscle mass to protect yourself .

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not a lot skill evident in this game. Canucks were pretty bad well into the second but then young Oilers ran out of gas (second game inside of 24 hours) and Canucks took over. Oilers also took a lot of dumb penalties which helped.

Thought there was a lot more to criticize than praise about the Canuck prospects in this game.

Would make the following comments

Cassels played a ton (seemed like every second shift) and was effective. Dependable player that works in traffic well. Over-passed at times and needs to develop more finesse on offense but very much a two way player. Should have good year at Junior level. A decent prospect at this point.

Jensen made a good effort but looked tired at times. Often made a good first effort but lacked the second and third effort. Times when he just has to move his feet more and not reach so much. Plays in spurts and ends up playing too much stop and go hockey. Needs more flow - like Cassels showed.

Mallet - made several strong rushes and earned himself some chances. Would still question his positioning in general but looked better on the wing where he has less responsibility. Played better but thought he played his best after the Oilers tired and so have to consider the level of the competition.

McEneny - thought he was much better than against Calgary. Handled people well in one on one situations and while not doing anything offensively did at least played a safe game on defense.

Guimond - play was again very spotty in the first period and did not play well in traffic. However started making some decent rushes in the second and showed off an accurate shot on the power play. His offensive play in this game helped explain his scoring in the ECHL last year but this player has some major problems in his own end

Gaunce - makes some decent little passes around the net but again lacked the foot speed and agility to keep up with the play

Last game I will be at and would say the following off what I saw at this tournament.

Horvat, Eriksson, Subban, Cassels and Corrado all look to be good prospects

Shinkaruk, Tommernes and Jensen have potential but still have ways to go.

Blomstrand, Andersson, Gaunce, Mallet seem, after this, much more questionable prospects

Don't see anything much among the rest of invitees or prospects.

Dana Murzyn

Oct 5, 2005
Blame the oilers for rushing him, he was 2 small for the nhl and now is crippled because of it

This narrative is really dubious. He was injured because the Oilers mismanaged him? So what's Kesler's excuse? Or Booth's? Did the Canucks "rush" the perpetually injured Salo? Or Willie Mitchell?

I know it's fun to think Lowe is responsible for everything bad that happens to the Oilers, but sometimes players just get hurt.

Nov 1, 2011
Good point. It's awful how capricious these cycles in hockey can be. Some teams get Crosby ... some get Nedved ... some get Patrick Stefan.

To be fair, Nedved could have been Jagr and Stefan could have been H. Sedin...so it's not all luck in these particular cases...obviously I get your point though.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This narrative is really dubious. He was injured because the Oilers mismanaged him? So what's Kesler's excuse? Or Booth's? Did the Canucks "rush" the perpetually injured Salo? Or Willie Mitchell?

I know it's fun to think Lowe is responsible for everything bad that happens to the Oilers, but sometimes players just get hurt.

Injuries can happen to all players yes, but if you are not physically ready, the likelihood is much higher. Kesler, Booth, Salo and Mitchell all have injuries, just not recurring injuries. RNH's main problem has been his left shoulder and honestly I think that is the result of getting hammered too much when his shoulder is not strong enough to take it. One year in the junior might've given him time to beef up. In retrospect, what did the Oilers have to lose by leaving RNH in junior, they got dead last that season and the season afterwards anyways.

edit: Salo is just glass anyways. He and Havalat are like the only players in the NHL that break simply by turning in their beds.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So many conclusions being made after this tournament. Just look at what Scheifele, Baertschi, Monahan, etc. are doing (or not doing). It's a prospect's tournament where the top players are hardly going at top speed, not to mention that it's very much barely a step above a scrimmage with junior-style hockey being played. (Just consider the type of players that dominate the pre-season games each year. Those games are quite a few steps above this.)

It's nice to see them all play and all that, but to be making conclusions about who's a good/promising prospect or not? Yikes.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah, I agree Tiranis, we really can't take too much from this tournament. Still great to see most of our guys in action.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Size (or at least physical development) does matter if you are going to go to the dirty areas or take punishment. Either sent the prospect back to allow him to develop physically or get him to change his game, don't send him out on suicide missions.

Who says they did? A coach can only do so much, especially in a year. RNH has been accustomed to playing that style and as per the saying, old habits die hard. And up until this season, it was effective, hence his dominance. Leaving him in the minors would accomplish since he has nothing left to prove. A player can only learn to adjust to the physicality of the NHL by actually playing in the NHL. Unfortunately for RNH, it got injured. It happens.

I also echo what Tiranis said. Just the other night we critical of Hope, yet this afternoon sounds like he had a solid game. Eriksson is another, who I openly criticised in game one. He's been better since. Most of these players need a lot more than five games for any worthwhile analysis to be made.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Who says they did? A coach can only do so much, especially in a year. RNH has been accustomed to playing that style and as per the saying, old habits die hard. And up until this season, it was effective, hence his dominance. Leaving him in the minors would accomplish since he has nothing left to prove. A player can only learn to adjust to the physicality of the NHL by actually playing in the NHL. Unfortunately for RNH, it got injured. It happens.

I disagree. It's like building a fort. If it's attacked before construction's finished, it'll be easier to damage and break than if it was fully built. Even if you do repairs on top of it, sections that were damaged will be more fragile and easier to break again in the future whereas a fully built fort can have sections repaired as long as the foundations weren't damaged. In RNH's case, he entered the NHL under-developed physically and was more fragile. As a result, he sustained a serious shoulder injury that could have him miss all of October of this year. If he was given time to add weight and develop physically, his body would be more prepared and he may not have sustained that shoulder injury or it may not have been as serious.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
One guy who's impressed me that I didn't think would is Wes Myron. He's been noticeable for his hustle, skill and grit on multiple occasions for me. I don't think he's under contract at any level in the organization for this year, is he? If he's not, Utica should tender him a PTO.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
One guy who's impressed me that I didn't think would is Wes Myron. He's been noticeable for his hustle, skill and grit on multiple occasions for me. I don't think he's under contract at any level in the organization for this year, is he? If he's not, Utica should tender him a PTO.

Agreed. He definitely had a good showing. It's a shame BU didn't work out for him but looking forward to a good developmental year for him this year with Utica.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Or Booth's?
He was "damaged goods" when we got him - hence the cheap price.

Did the Canucks "rush" the perpetually injured Salo?
Why do you think the Sens gave up on Salo for Schaefer? Because he was injury prone even then.

but sometimes players just get hurt.
Nah, it's something in Vancouver's water. Two guys that were partly acquired because they rarely - if ever - missed games due to injury; promptly get major injuries their first season as a Canuck (Hamhuis & Ballard).

Might have something to do with having four different head coaches since Lowe canned MacTavish 4 years ago - but I guess Tambo took the fall for that.

Last edited:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
So many conclusions being made after this tournament. Just look at what Scheifele, Baertschi, Monahan, etc. are doing (or not doing). It's a prospect's tournament where the top players are hardly going at top speed, not to mention that it's very much barely a step above a scrimmage with junior-style hockey being played. (Just consider the type of players that dominate the pre-season games each year. Those games are quite a few steps above this.)

It's nice to see them all play and all that, but to be making conclusions about who's a good/promising prospect or not? Yikes.

nah, its ok, because you see my 'eye test' works perfectly and in a three game sample ive learned the following things:

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
when does the official preseason start for the nucks?

Looks like Sept 16th

PRE-SEASON SCHEDULE:
The Vancouver Canucks will play a total of six pre-season games, beginning on September 16th versus the San Jose Sharks at 7:00pm. Vancouver will play four games at Rogers Arena and two on the road against San Jose (one home, one road), the Edmonton Oilers (one home, one road), Phoenix Coyotes (one home) and the New York Rangers (one home).

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=678462

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
After watching Gaunce, I think Sutter may have been right.

I don't see him as being near ready to challenge for even a 3rd line spot this year...or depending on his development, even next year.

Another year in junior and then a year of experience in the AHL before he will be close to cracking the line up. Team is going to have to be patient with this guy.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I bet Andrew Cassels is really proud of his son!

3rd round pick and doing well at the prospects camp. I really hope he goes PPG next season. He's got offense in his genes, he's just gotta tap into it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad