Young kids (including Dubas) turning me off the team and into a Raptors fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Lol.

Better the team gets, the more insane leafs nation gets.

Every time.

We get rid of every bad contract on the team, for the first time ever....and leafs fans are hilariously upset that we're paying the best collection of young elite talent we've ever had, and the best in the league, what they deserve.

Absolute insanity.

Leafs nation is like a salivating feral beast that's been starved for decades and just recently someone placed a tasty meal in front of it, but it's chained to a post and can't reach so it's just going insane.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Nevermind the cryfest, and look at me story, there's just so much factually wrong with the OP.

Don't worry op, you can leave. For every one of you, there's 10 young kids idolizing the young stars, including Dubas

Reactions: meng666

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
I'm sorry, but your knowledge of the Raptors is really lacking. They didn't come out of nowhere. They had the 2nd best record in the regular season and were elite both offensively and defensively.

They also had moves that were bashed. Kyle Lowry was "overpaid" and a "playoff choker." Getting Kawhi Leonard was stupid according to many, among other things. On Raptors forums, the same posts as the op were posted frequently.

The Raptors were also swept in consecutive years before they won the 'ship. The point is that becoming a championship contender doesn't happen over night, usually. It's a process. The Leafs are a team that is still so young. Matthews and the other young guns still have their best years ahead of them.

It sucks that we couldn't get Matthews and Nylander to sweetheart deals and probably won't get Marner to one either, but for me it's hard to look at our roster and not get excited for next season and our future.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lol.

Every time.

We get rid of every bad contract on the team, for the first time ever....and leafs fans are hilariously upset that we're paying the best collection of young elite talent we've ever had, and the best in the league, what they deserve.

Absolute insanity.
You mention this all the time, but then ignore we gave up a significant asset, and will now not have a first round pick in consecutive years, so we will have to be great drafters to provide players on ELC's to replace guys like Kapanen and Johnson while we are paying a premium for our stars.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You mention this all the time, but then ignore we gave up a significant asset, and will now not have a first round pick in consecutive years, so we will have to be great drafters to provide players on ELC's to replace guys like Kapanen and Johnson while we are paying a premium for our stars.

Not only this but if Muzzin walks then we gave up back to back firsts and have nothing to show for it. Unless they win the cup this year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Thanks for reminding me that we already have two teenage 1st round picks who were probably the best dmen on one of the best teams in the AHL last year to look forward to at some point this year.

Can't wait to see what comes next.

Reactions: Auston 316

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not only this but if Muzzin walks then we gave up back to back firsts and have nothing to show for it. Unless they win the cup this year.

And?

This team needs to go for it as much as possible. Gettin Muzzin was well worth it and so was getting rid of the Marleau contract. It's one of the prices of being a year in, year out contender.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thanks for reminding me that we already have two teenage 1st round picks who were probably the best dmen on one of the best teams in the AHL last year to look forward to at some point this year.

Can't wait to see what comes next.
We don't have picks to fill spots. You ignore the possible long-term downside to what was done. I'm not saying its going to be a mistake, but a significant asset was traded to create this cap-space.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We don't have picks to fill spots. You ignore the possible long-term downside to what was done. I'm not saying its going to be a mistake, but a significant asset was traded to create this cap-space.

Given what he just did with his 2nd rnd pick this year, and considdring how he traded down to draft a guy sho's already looking like the steal of thd first round of his first draft, I'm pretty sure that our young GM has a very good idea of exactly what a late 1st round pick is worth.

And yeah, getting rid of marleau's contract had to be done, unfortunately. The hilarious thing is that most fans here would literally have been happier to trade Nylander than that fist round pick.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
And?

This team needs to go for it as much as possible. Gettin Muzzin was well worth it and so was getting rid of the Marleau contract. It's one of the prices of being a year in, year out contender.

If Dubas held out to get Matthews on an 8 year deal our window wouldn’t be so small and we could have ran Dermott as 2LD this season. With Dermott at 2LD and no Muzzin they wouldn’t have had to get rid of Marleau. This allows Dermott to grow into the role he will be forced into next season anyway.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
It's the insanity induced by 3 straight years of the same result and that pathetic second half of last year where it seemed the league figured out how to easily stifle us and pick us apart.
Plus signing Tavares only to regress in the standings and Matthews should have never been paid more than Tavares on his first contract. Tavares earned that, should have let Matthews earn it too.

I'm excited and think we'll be fine but there have been many questionable actions by management.

Such is the drama of a popular sports team with high expectations constantly under the microscope.

Induced by 3 years straight where our best players were under the age of 22? Insanity of 3 years but the post was largely about Dubas who has only been GM for 1 year? Yes, only one single year and he didn’t even get a whole off-season last year.

Matthews shouldn’t have gotten more than Tavares? Matthews and his agent both knew moving forward Matthews is gonna be the better player in the next 5 years so why would he take less? No GM could have gotten Matthews for less than 11 M.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If Dubas held out to get Matthews on an 8 year deal our window wouldn’t be so small and we could have ran Dermott as 2LD this season. With Dermott at 2LD and no Muzzin they wouldn’t have had to get rid of Marleau. This allows Dermott to grow into the role he will be forced into next season anyway.

Did that deal exist? Would Matthews have signed it? The reality is that is a huge "if".

As good as Dermott is he still has a lot of room to grow and playing third line minutes with less pressure will help him to hone in on his growth, plus he is a big down grade on Muzzin and then who is the the new 3 LD? Probably not someone that good.

I don't even want to get into this last one, but in what world does not having to get rid Marleau help us?

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014

People literally whine that Dubas didn’t address the D, he goes out and gets Muzzin and Barrie and now we’re mad about that. At least they’re impactful players unlike 4th line Cs we spent 2nds on. We’re gonna lose a dman to expansion anyways out of Morgs, Dermott, Muzzin and Barrie so we might as well let the oldest go and be happy we got 2 runs with him.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Lol.

Every time.

Absolute insanity.

Salary discussion absolutely KILLS these boards. I actively dislike a good number of posters here and it all comes from the same ridiculous line of thinking that clearly drives the OP, that these professionals who are among the absolute best at what they do should take a discount to play for the wealthiest franchise in the league. All because they, as Leaf fans, take it as a personal affront. It's ridiculous and an absolutely laughable reason to turn on the best team we've had in decades all because Joe Blow thinks if he were a star athlete he'd settle for a modest 8 million for the honour of donning the blue and white.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Given what he just did with his 2nd rnd pick this year, and considdring how he traded down to draft a guy sho's already looking like the steal of thd first round of his first draft, I'm pretty sure that our young GM has a very good idea of exactly what a late 1st round pick is worth.

And yeah, getting rid of marleau's contract had to be done, unfortunately. The hilarious thing is that most fans here would literally have been happier to trade Nylander than that fist round pick.
Lets not crown Robertson before he does much. He looks like a good pick but let's not get ahead of ourselves. His 2nd rounder last year was a thrown in a trade where he had little value, and people were raving about SDA who then went on to have a terrible year with the Petes. Sandin looks good, and has improved his value from when he was drafted, but I would hold off on steal of the draft talk.

Reactions: robertmac43

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I always think about how the Fletcher-Burns and Quinn era Leafs were always these gritty teams that scrapped and overachieved vs the early Bowman era Red Wings who always choked under pressure but had all the talent in the world until they figured it out. Maybe in the moment it wasn't clear that the Red Wings would get there, but I remember how I always wanted the Leafs to build that way instead of the patch work, ugly, go for broke mortgage the future way they actually did things.

The Toronto Raptors dramatic, if not improbable run to a championship reminded scrappy Leafs teams that couldn't quite get it done. It was a nice reminder that those gritty, veteran laden, effort-chemistry playoff runs still have their charm. Over the next few years our high end core needs to learn those lessons because they're not going to win playing that tic tac toe October hockey.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Nevermind the cryfest, and look at me story, there's just so much factually wrong with the OP.

Don't worry op, you can leave. For every one of you, there's 10 young kids idolizing the young stars, including Dubas
You can try to sound cool. But there are no young kids idolizing Dubas. Kids don't care who the GM even is much less idolize them. I'm sure they have gained a fair number of young fans by getting to the playoffs repeatedly. Although maybe not as many as they would have by getting past the first round. Still more than they were picking up by being trapped in mediocrity.

If people reach the end of their patience that's fine. Life is more than being a sports fan. There is a fair amount of things to be frustrated by. Seeing young players being so short-sighted that they sabotage the chance to win anything is a bit unfortunate. But it isn't hopeless yet. How the Marner situation plays out matters. But what matters most is if this team can take any step forward.

I really wonder if people attack these sorts of posts because they are actually envious. That someone could actually move on while they are trapped living and dying by this team drives them crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad