Young kids (including Dubas) turning me off the team and into a Raptors fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I haven’t posted in 4 months, since the start of the playoffs. So this is not a knee jerk reaction to either another Leafs first round collapse or the ongoing Marner shenanigans. The Leafs organization would be well-advised to consider that I am not the only one in this city that feels this way:

Marner’s greed is just the latest in a year long saga that follows the greed of Nylander and Matthews, and the incompetence of Dubas and his inability to sign any of the kids to acceptable contracts.

It starts with Dubas, who is not capable of being a good negotiator. I have no idea why a billion dollar organization handed the keys to a 30 year old kid with zero NHL experience. He acts like a friend to the young Leafs, which would be fine except he takes it too far because it clouds his ability or willingness to take a hard stance with Nylander, Matthews and Marner. We didn’t need a friend last year. We needed a GM. We didn’t have one, and because of that Dubas caved with Nylander, which in turn set the tone for a terrible contract with Matthews.

And what did Nylander have to show for his new contract? Nothing but dismal “production”, and his “contribution” to a first round loss. The Leafs would’ve been just as well off taking a hard stance with Nylander and letting him sit out. At least Dubas could have showed the world he wasn’t to be messed with. The problem with Dubas is that as a young kid himself, he has no perspective of time. He thinks every current year is the only year that matters. He has no regard for the long term. It was this lack of time perspective that made him cave with Nylander, and which makes me fear he will do the same with Marner. Some might say we can’t afford to waste a year by letting our stars sit. I say we would find success eventually, whether in 2 years or 20 years (time perspective). But you can’t let your RFAs walk all over you and handicap your cap long-term relative to the other 30 teams, and certainly not when you have 3 of them to deal with.

Speaking of Marner, he had the city handed to him on a silver platter, and he’s throwing it all away. His true value, considering his RFA status and the artificial bump up in production playing with Tavares, should’ve been $9 million tops, and over 8 years. His ask of $11 million+ is so ridiculously over the top that there should be no question Dubas should let him sit out the season before paying that much. If Marner isn’t willing to sign a max deal for $9-9.5 million, he should sit. Making him sit is fine. A trade is fine if the return is good. An offer sheet? Don’t entertain matching it and just take the picks. That’s fine. What’s not fine? An overpayment with Marner.

I’ve been a Leafs fan since the Gilmour days, and have stuck around for all the losing seasons, but my patience and my fandom for the Leafs is hanging on by a thread. Maybe I’m just getting too old now to accept all this nonsense. As I said above, I can accept sitting Marner, I can accept a good trade and I can accept an offer sheet, but I can’t accept an incompetent overpayment. If Marner gets anything more than $10,000,000 over 8 years (or $6 million over a 3 year bridge), then I’m done as a fan. And I’m already prepared for that, as all signs point to Dubas overpaying once again.

I have never been a basketball fan, but the Raptors captured my attention this spring after the overpaid young Leafs did nothing to justify their contracts. Hard to imagine that the Leafs have always had priority with me, but it was the Raptors that came from nowhere to deliver. Who knew basketball was this fun! Tim Leiweke said in 2014 that the Raptors would be bigger than the Leafs in 10 years. I laughed, but now knowing how I feel, I know I’m not the only one in this city to feel this way. It’ll probably take longer than 10 years, but it’s absolutely possible for the Raptors to overtake the Leafs in this city, and it’s because of greed from people like Marner and incompetence from Dubas that this one Leafs fan is feeling less of a Leafs fan and more of a Raptors fan today.

What can Dubas and Marner do so they don’t lose the average fan? Dubas needs to take a stand on behalf of the organization and grow a backbone and be willing to let Marner sit, long before he offers a terrible contract. 2 overpayments with Nylander and Matthews were bad enough. There can’t be a 3rd. You can’t be 100% Harold Ballard, but you need to be at least 1% Ballard. And what can Marner do? He needs to knock off this nonsense and sign a $70 million deal over 8 years, which allows you to remain an icon in this city. Surely your quality of life won’t suffer with that type of money? But who am I kidding. I’m already prepared to be disappointed one last time. But you’ve been warned, Leafs. My fandom is hanging on by a thread, and I’m not the only one.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I haven’t posted in 4 months, since the start of the playoffs. So this is not a knee jerk reaction to either another Leafs first round collapse or the ongoing Marner shenanigans. The Leafs organization would be well-advised to consider that I am not the only one in this city that feels this way:

Marner’s greed is just the latest in a year long saga that follows the greed of Nylander and Matthews, and the incompetence of Dubas and his inability to sign any of the kids to acceptable contracts.

It starts with Dubas, who is not capable of being a good negotiator. I have no idea why a billion dollar organization handed the keys to a 30 year old kid with zero NHL experience. He acts like a friend to the young Leafs, which would be fine except he takes it too far because it clouds his ability or willingness to take a hard stance with Nylander, Matthews and Marner. We didn’t need a friend last year. We needed a GM. We didn’t have one, and because of that Dubas caved with Nylander, which in turn set the tone for a terrible contract with Matthews.

And what did Nylander have to show for his new contract? Nothing but dismal “production”, and his “contribution” to a first round loss. The Leafs would’ve been just as well off taking a hard stance with Nylander and letting him sit out. At least Dubas could have showed the world he wasn’t to be messed with. The problem with Dubas is that as a young kid himself, he has no perspective of time. He thinks every current year is the only year that matters. He has no regard for the long term. It was this lack of time perspective that made him cave with Nylander, and which makes me fear he will do the same with Marner. Some might say we can’t afford to waste a year by letting our stars sit. I say we would find success eventually, whether in 2 years or 20 years (time perspective). But you can’t let your RFAs walk all over you and handicap your cap long-term relative to the other 30 teams, and certainly not when you have 3 of them to deal with.

Speaking of Marner, he had the city handed to him on a silver platter, and he’s throwing it all away. His true value, considering his RFA status and the artificial bump up in production playing with Tavares, should’ve been $9 million tops, and over 8 years. His ask of $11 million+ is so ridiculously over the top that there should be no question Dubas should let him sit out the season before paying that much. If Marner isn’t willing to sign a max deal for $9-9.5 million, he should sit. Making him sit is fine. A trade is fine if the return is good. An offer sheet? Don’t entertain matching it and just take the picks. That’s fine. What’s not fine? An overpayment with Marner.

I’ve been a Leafs fan since the Gilmour days, and have stuck around for all the losing seasons, but my patience and my fandom for the Leafs is hanging on by a thread. Maybe I’m just getting too old now to accept all this nonsense. As I said above, I can accept sitting Marner, I can accept a good trade and I can accept an offer sheet, but I can’t accept an incompetent overpayment. If Marner gets anything more than $10,000,000 over 8 years (or $6 million over a 3 year bridge), then I’m done as a fan. And I’m already prepared for that, as all signs point to Dubas overpaying once again.

I have never been a basketball fan, but the Raptors captured my attention this spring after the overpaid young Leafs did nothing to justify their contracts. Hard to imagine that the Leafs have always had priority with me, but it was the Raptors that came from nowhere to deliver. Who knew basketball was this fun! Tim Leiweke said in 2014 that the Raptors would be bigger than the Leafs in 10 years. I laughed, but now knowing how I feel, I know I’m not the only one in this city to feel this way. It’ll probably take longer than 10 years, but it’s absolutely possible for the Raptors to overtake the Leafs in this city, and it’s because of greed from people like Marner and incompetence from Dubas that this one Leafs fan is feeling less of a Leafs fan and more of a Raptors fan today.

What can Dubas and Marner do so they don’t lose the average fan? Dubas needs to take a stand on behalf of the organization and grow a backbone and be willing to let Marner sit, long before he offers a terrible contract. 2 overpayments with Nylander and Matthews were bad enough. There can’t be a 3rd. You can’t be 100% Harold Ballard, but you need to be at least 1% Ballard. And what can Marner do? He needs to knock off this nonsense and sign a $70 million deal over 8 years, which allows you to remain an icon in this city. Surely your quality of life won’t suffer with that type of money? But who am I kidding. I’m already prepared to be disappointed one last time. But you’ve been warned, Leafs. My fandom is hanging on by a thread, and I’m not the only one.

MLSE still gets your money either way...

Reactions: Auston Escobar

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I know where you're coming from. Something just always seems to go wrong in Leaf land, doesn't matter how things unfold.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
Didn’t take a stand vs Nylander? Needs to grow a back bone? He literally held him out for the longest a GM has held out a player in modern times. Got him signed to a very good contract.

This is the best team we’ve had in decades.

Leaf fandom has been so strange lately and all I can seem to come up with is there is a young GM with modern views and its driving people absolutely bonkers.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wait, so Nylander’s contract, signed AFTER Matthews’ deal is responsible for Matthews’ deal? Colour me confused.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't get this sentiment, especially if you have watched for so long. You were watching during the dark days post lock out and as the decade turned, how can you not be excited by this team? It's good, has big names up and down the line up, this team will get over the hump it just takes time.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Nylander’s contract is fine given where the cap is at.

Matthews is bad, I agree. When you compare his contract to Eichel and McDavid and see they signed for 8 years at a similar price, Matthews’ contract for 5 years looks like a joke.

Marner situation is bogus but he’s not the only high profile RFA still holding out. Tkachuk, Laine, Boeser, and Rantanen are still unsigned, but because they don’t play in our fishbowl there’s a lack of hysteria.

Yes it’s annoying going through these shitty contract negotiations. But it’s business, and once Marner is done we’ll have our core locked up for half a decade not worrying about contract talks. Just gotta get through this December at least (if we’re lucky sooner than that) and we can enjoy watching them play hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: TML Dynasty

Auston Escobar

Plata o Plomo
Aug 14, 2019
old.jpg

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I couldn’t agree more. The greed is exhausting. The lengths that people go to defend Dubas is laughable. I will continue to watch every game but I will struggle to truly love this team until Matthews/Marner/Nylander are gone.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
That's why I lost my mind when they hired Dubas. You got rid of Lou to roll the dice on the greenest GM in NHL history to handle the 3 most important contracts this team has seen in 2 decades. Why they didn't keep Lou around for another year to help with Willy and AM is beyond me. It's just like the Sparks situation. A completely unnecessary risk taken when you had a sure thing. Unfortunately the stakes are much higher with a GM.

And of course the contracts have gone about as bad as they possibly could. Dubas needs to go. He's already set us back too far though. The damage is done. I'm done blaming Dubas. This is on Shanny now.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Didn’t take a stand vs Nylander? Needs to grow a back bone? He literally held him out for the longest a GM has held out a player in modern times. Got him signed to a very good contract.

This is the best team we’ve had in decades.

Leaf fandom has been so strange lately and all I can seem to come up with is there is a young GM with modern views and its driving people absolutely bonkers.

It's the insanity induced by 3 straight years of the same result and that pathetic second half of last year where it seemed the league figured out how to easily stifle us and pick us apart.
Plus signing Tavares only to regress in the standings and Matthews should have never been paid more than Tavares on his first contract. Tavares earned that, should have let Matthews earn it too.

I'm excited and think we'll be fine but there have been many questionable actions by management.

Such is the drama of a popular sports team with high expectations constantly under the microscope.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The Raptors took a risk with the Leonard trade. They now have nothing to show for it player wise with Leonard and Green leaving, yet they have everything to show for it via the championship won. The risk paid off. There's also a luxury tax in the NBA, among other differences from the NHL. I don't know if the team's payroll fell in that range.

It's still early for the Leafs in comparison. All of the contracts aren't exactly what I had hoped. Still, there's no guarantee that the team will become undone by the cap either. It's also early to fully evaluate all of the moves made by Dubas as GM. Can also be a fan of both teams, whether that's on the same level or not.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lol.

Better the team gets, the more insane leafs nation gets.

Every time.

We get rid of every bad contract on the team, for the first time ever....and leafs fans are hilariously upset that we're paying the best collection of young elite talent we've ever had, and the best in the league, what they deserve.

Absolute insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad