You have to ask yourself this important question,

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Not sure what are the basis of your analysis, I can't pinpoint any time frame (as a matter of fact most of us can not) - this team was pretty competitive last year and gradually going to improve, as I said earlier I don't know when but within 2-3 years we are going to be one of the contenders (not saying we are going to win it all). We can't even predict about next year's stanley cup champion, even odd makers can't predict that

The time frame is based on Anderson, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev ages. In 7yrs Rielly will be 30, Zaitsev will be 32 and Gardiner and Kadri will both be 33. I would say that is a good indication Toronto will be in a win-now mentality

I said this in another thread and got absolutely carved.

Not a good time to try to get your point across because win-now mentality refers to when a GM mortgages the future to get assets so to win in the present. I am not saying the team will only be competitive in 6-8yrs.

My post shows people don't read and just like to yell

Last edited:

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The time frame is based on Anderson, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev ages. In 7yrs Rielly will be 30, Zaitsev will be 32 and Gardiner and Kadri will both be 33. I would say that is a good indication Toronto will be in a win-now mentality

Not a good time to try to get your point across because win-now mentality refers to when a GM mortgages the future to get assets so to win in the present. I am not saying the team will only be competitive in 6-8yrs.

Man this isn't baseball lol those are rebuild ages - the leafs need a couple D and a winger for Matthews. We're looking great rn

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Leafs spent future assets to get better now this season by trading for Boyle. A rental.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If Toronto doesn't make a trade and in the 2017-2018 they also don't make the playoffs is it a failed year?

The answer for me is Hell NO. Toronto is 6-8yrs away from a win now mentality (based on Anderson, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev ages) so Toronto is still very much in the building process. I just don't see the need or benefit to trading our #1 pick or one of our kids to fill a need we have now when we are not really competing for the cup.

If we still need a top4 Dman 3-4yrs from now then sure we would need to ask tough questions, but not now.

If it takes us 8 years to become a contender, we're doing it wrong.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He said we were 6-8 years from being in a must win it now position not 6-8 years from being a contender , reading is fundamental , comprehension is essential . Ever think this could have just been a test to determine which of you aren't actually fluent in English ? Welcome to Canada Eh ! it's one of our official languages , the other is the first language of another fan base .

You can't be in "win now" mode without being a contender, nor does it make any sense to be contender and not be in "win now" mode.

Do YOU English?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Teams win now when their core is in their early twenties, not thirties. You can barely assume guys will play well into their 30's at all these days.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

No, it's the other way around. The yelling responses show that your post was garbage.

Toronto could be just 1-3 years from a "win-now" mentality. And your definition is wrong, anyway. Nashville and PIT are in "win-now" mode, and neither team just mortgaged their future. "Mortgaging the future" doesn't really happen all that often. And don't try to sell the idea that trading a 1st pick counts, because we just did that to get Andy, and might do it again to get a defenceman.

The plan is the be in a "win-now" window faster than 6-8 years.

"Win-now" doesn't explicitly mean mortgaging the future.

"Mortgaging the future" doesn't happen for every win-now team.

If Toronto doesn't make a trade and in 2017-2018 and also don't make the playoffs it is a failed year.

I hate your thread title.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

If you do not like the responses then try not telling posters they need to ask themselves an inane question.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
If Toronto doesn't make a trade and in the 2017-2018 they also don't make the playoffs is it a failed year?

The answer for me is Hell NO. Toronto is 6-8yrs away from a win now mentality (based on Anderson, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev ages) so Toronto is still very much in the building process. I just don't see the need or benefit to trading our #1 pick or one of our kids to fill a need we have now when we are not really competing for the cup.

If we still need a top4 Dman 3-4yrs from now then sure we would need to ask tough questions, but not now.

To not take advantage of the window they have now where they have 3 stars on ELCs is crazy. They should be going all in. If Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Gardiner and Andersen didn't have the years they had then I'd suggest being patient, but since they did? They need to go all out before they have to add another 20 million to the books.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So anyone going to actually discuss the OP intentions or are we just going to pat each other on the back while laughing at semantics? The point wasn't what our cup window is, it is that if at the end of the day the costs are too high and no blockbuster trade is made, and the Leafs miss the playoffs next year as a result, is that a huge deal?

This should be the debate. To me, no it is not, as it gives us another lottery ticket in a draft filled with D talent. I personally think it's better to wait a year and get a sense of what we have before making a move. What if one of the Swede's breaks out and becomes a top 4 D? Or Carrick does or Dermott? What if Nylander breaks out and scores 90 points when management considered moving him for a top 4 D?

What if Marner regresses and we realize we need Nylander and Matthews? What if Rielly breaks out and suddenly we don't need a #1 D anymore?

Everyone is too young to make these decisions as they are all based on luck and not anything substantial due to sample size. Gardiner was not who is he right now two season ago, in two years they could both be borderline #1 D and sure fire top pairing D. Suddenly the defense sorts itself out and we got to keep the depth.

Remember all the guys we gave up on? Stralman, Steen, Rask, etc. Just wait it out, I can't believe some of our fans STILL haven't learned the lesson.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
As much as some fans can say they don't like Bozak, right now the Leafs can have all the rookies AND Bozak. It's a great place to be with the Cap right now. The expansion draft not only weakens other teams with potential they'll lose a more important player to them, but also could free up players that the Leafs need to fill a hole. I dare say this, but the Leafs might have a better chance for success this year then next. As rookies start landing bigger salaries, there might not be room for a Bozak. Say what you will about Bozak, but there was only four Penguins with more points/game then him in the playoffs. When the rookie contracts push him out, they'll have to start producing at a over point/game in the playoffs to replace his production. Right now, not one forward beat Hyman for assists in the playoffs. The offensive rookies were not ready to replace Bozak just yet. I forecast the Leafs doing okay this season, taking a step back, then climbing to success.

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
So anyone going to actually discuss the OP intentions or are we just going to pat each other on the back while laughing at semantics? The point wasn't what our cup window is, it is that if at the end of the day the costs are too high and no blockbuster trade is made, and the Leafs miss the playoffs next year as a result, is that a huge deal?

This should be the debate. To me, no it is not, as it gives us another lottery ticket in a draft filled with D talent. I personally think it's better to wait a year and get a sense of what we have before making a move. What if one of the Swede's breaks out and becomes a top 4 D? Or Carrick does or Dermott? What if Nylander breaks out and scores 90 points when management considered moving him for a top 4 D?

What if Marner regresses and we realize we need Nylander and Matthews? What if Rielly breaks out and suddenly we don't need a #1 D anymore?

Everyone is too young to make these decisions as they are all based on luck and not anything substantial due to sample size. Gardiner was not who is he right now two season ago, in two years they could both be borderline #1 D and sure fire top pairing D. Suddenly the defense sorts itself out and we got to keep the depth.

Remember all the guys we gave up on? Stralman, Steen, Rask, etc. Just wait it out, I can't believe some of our fans STILL haven't learned the lesson.

good post :handclap:

with that being said, i still support the boyle trade someone mentioned earlier.

to be honest, i can't see us not being deep in the mix for the playoffs next year. our core is learning how to win and what's expected. building and nurturing that environment as team, and the FO being patient and calculated in their moves is the best route

i think we'll have something special within a few years

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Not really, there's a pretty good chance that Nylander/Matthews/Marner will have their best offensive seasons by the age of just 22.
If you look at rebuilds over the years - ie Penguins, Hawks, Kings all win cups when their star players were quite young.

In 8 years Nylander and Marner will be UFAs, if the Leafs havent made a cup final by then, management will have failed the team big time.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
They should target trying to stay in the top 1/3 of the league year after year in perpetuity. That way they get a shot at it every year. Lot easier said then done of course.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Not really, there's a pretty good chance that Nylander/Matthews/Marner will have their best offensive seasons by the age of just 22.
If you look at rebuilds over the years - ie Penguins, Hawks, Kings all win cups when their star players were quite young.

In 8 years Nylander and Marner will be UFAs, if the Leafs havent made a cup final by then, management will have failed the team big time.

Yup yup

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As much as few want to keep Bozak at all costs, with big contracts coming up, its why its essential to move on from faceoff kings like Bozak. No need to sign mediocre players on a team looking to get better with a young roster. Kapanen already showing he can replace Bozak's average offensive game so there is no need for a guy like Bozak plus Kapanen wont be a one man disaster defensive show like Bozak either.

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
The Leafs suck! Compare them to the two finalists this year and they are LIGHT YEARS away from being in the same league. Where is Lou on trades like Drouin? Lou is useless! it's time to put him out to pasture and bring a proven guy, not an old man that hasn't won in the new era.

Looking forward to another year of the Leafs not being able to get out of their own end, and an overworked goaltender. And better yet, all the fan boys on here lapping it up like they are getting somewhere.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The Leafs suck! Compare them to the two finalists this year and they are LIGHT YEARS away from being in the same league. Where is Lou on trades like Drouin? Lou is useless! it's time to put him out to pasture and bring a proven guy, not an old man that hasn't won in the new era.

Looking forward to another year of the Leafs not being able to get out of their own end, and an overworked goaltender. And better yet, all the fan boys on here lapping it up like they are getting somewhere.

This guy again. Mods?
Your not related to Freebird are you?

The Leafs are amazing. Compare them and they are on the right track.
Looking forward to fake fans coming in and telling us fake facts for the next decade. I love the future of the Leafs and some of the haters cant take it. Than we will see continous angry haters because Leafs are on a great path to success.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

The way to achieve the things you're complaining about is to NOT make the Drouin trade - NOT trade a young promising d-man for a scoring winger.

Lou made it to the Cup Finals in the "New Era" and then had to watch Zack Parise and Kovy leave b/c NJ had really poor ownership.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The way to achieve the things you're complaining about is to NOT make the Drouin trade - NOT trade a young promising d-man for a scoring winger.

Lou made it to the Cup Finals in the "New Era" and then had to watch Zack Parise and Kovy leave b/c NJ had really poor ownership.

Angry and sour haters will say silly things

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
We are much closer than people think. The Leafs core are on ELCs and our best D men on solid deals, so they can literally fill holes with older UFAs and have no cap issues whatsoever. I could easily see a situation where our 4th line becomes aging star vets like Thornton or Marleau seeking a cup for the next couple of years.

Once our guys are on their big contracts, the team will be then filled in with younger players and the Blackhawks model is in full force.

Otherwise all the Leafs need to do is dump their players who cannot be waived next season whom aren't going to make the team and acquire a D man.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
2018/19 season we will start to be considered a proper playoff threat , should be good for a 10/12 year run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad