You have to ask yourself this important question,

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If Toronto doesn't make a trade and in the 2017-2018 they also don't make the playoffs is it a failed year?

The answer for me is Hell NO. Toronto is 6-8yrs away from a win now mentality (based on Anderson, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev ages) so Toronto is still very much in the building process. I just don't see the need or benefit to trading our #1 pick or one of our kids to fill a need we have now when we are not really competing for the cup.

If we still need a top4 Dman 3-4yrs from now then sure we would need to ask tough questions, but not now.

Last edited:

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
The leafs are not a cup contender as of yet. But imo they'll be in the midst of playing with 'playoff contender expectations sooner that you may think. 6-8 years would be hugely disappointing.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If by "win now"-mode the OP means that the team views cup chance now as a very clear priority over long-term franchise health, then I agree that it's far ahead. If our core group follows normal development curve, it shouldn't be the case in ten years. At that point we'll want to just go for it before it's all over. Until then, we should apply a balanced approach where we maintain our ability to rejuvenate team depth by quality prospects, while also making sure we have a good chance each year.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In terms of win now likely 2 to 3 seasons away. However we can build and develop while trying to win at same time, and thats where we are right now. We should be looking to add pieces if they fit the group and not sacrificing our talented kids.
We are not 6-8 years from winning, we could be looking to win next season but realistically we will look to be competitive but in 2 years we would be looking to contend.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh:

Always find it interesting when the OP starts a thread, makes an outlandish claim and then never returns.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Lol 6 years. We are 1 legit dman away from contending next season.

1? We need at least one for the top-pairing and a couple capable guys on the bottom pairing as well. The Maple Leafs D consists of middle-pairing guys on the top pair and bottom pairing guys everywhere else. Extremely underwhelming.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
We were 6-8 years from competing the day we drafted Nylander in 2014.

Edit: actually no. Before Nylander was even in the organization.

Bernify

May 28, 2014
When the OP says "Win-now", they are referring to the end of our window. They are NOT saying we have a window that opens in 6-8 years

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If Toronto doesn't make a trade and in the 2017-2018 they also don't make the playoffs is it a failed year?

The answer for me is Hell NO. Toronto is 6-8yrs away from a win now mentality (based on Anderson, Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev ages) so Toronto is still very much in the building process. I just don't see the need or benefit to trading our #1 pick or one of out kids to fill a need we have now when we are not really competing for the cup.

If we still need a top4 Dman 3-4yrs from now then sure we would need to ask tough questions, but not now.

Not sure what are the basis of your analysis, I can't pinpoint any time frame (as a matter of fact most of us can not) - this team was pretty competitive last year and gradually going to improve, as I said earlier I don't know when but within 2-3 years we are going to be one of the contenders (not saying we are going to win it all). We can't even predict about next year's stanley cup champion, even odd makers can't predict that

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
1? We need at least one for the top-pairing and a couple capable guys on the bottom pairing as well. The Maple Leafs D consists of middle-pairing guys on the top pair and bottom pairing guys everywhere else. Extremely underwhelming.

We just signed those two swedes, can resign Hunwick or Polak and have other youngsters in the pipine. Our 3rd pair will sort itself out. We just need someone whos a top4 that can log heavy minutes. Its not easy to find but we are really just that 1 top4 player away from seriousness.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
He said we were 6-8 years from being in a must win it now position not 6-8 years from being a contender , reading is fundamental , comprehension is essential . Ever think this could have just been a test to determine which of you aren't actually fluent in English ? Welcome to Canada Eh ! it's one of our official languages , the other is the first language of another fan base .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad