Yes, the Pens can win. Here's how...

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
While I wouldn't bet on it, a team with Crosby and Malkin on it can beat anyone. Rangers aren't unbeatable and us winning wouldn't be the biggest upset ever, not even close.

And if they do beat us and the Caps make it by the Islanders, I hope the Rangers wipe the floor with the Caps

STLPensFan

Jun 5, 2012
STL, MO
Aren't we entitled to one free 5 minute major penalty powerplay in the playoffs when Scuderi is finally sacrificed to the hockey gods to make up for the 82 games he played in? I thought that was the reason we gave him a contract.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
Anyone else come into this thread expecting an outline for a plan on how to spike the Ranger's Gatorade with muscle relaxant?

Sometimes you're the hammer; sometimes you're the nail.
Eh...this is the Penguins we are talking about. It seems more like sometimes you're the nail, sometimes you're the screw.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why do people keep blaming MJ?

He WAS on the 3rd line.

Then he wasn't.

I definitely believe there is more to that than people want to admit. Someone told him he can't do that.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Why do people keep blaming MJ?

He WAS on the 3rd line.

Then he wasn't.

I definitely believe there is more to that than people want to admit. Someone told him he can't do that.

He is blamed because he is responsible for the lines unless we hear otherwise.

Even if it was true he needs to have a backbone to say he's doing it his way.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He is blamed because he is responsible for the lines unless we hear otherwise.

Even if it was true he needs to have a backbone to say he's doing it his way.

Right, like JR's mention of it not really being him that makes the final decisions. I am sure they really let anyone on this team have any kind of proper control.

Be real here, this team has too many people running it that think they know better than the guy beside them.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Right, like JR's mention of it not really being him that makes the final decisions. I am sure they really let anyone on this team have any kind of proper control.

Be real here, this team has too many people running it that think they know better than the guy beside them.

There is a difference in those situations. JR was more or less hired as a mentoring GM and his decisions are influenced more.

MJ is the coach and it's not the same situation. If someone is telling him who to play and where why wouldn't they hire them in the first place. It's not like JR's situation.

Why wouldn't MJ tell them to **** off and play who he wants? It can't work like that and he'll get fired anyway.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
tumblr_n40g65bhSQ1r4wriao1_500.gif

Nah, we're gonna be Cap ^ in this gif this series.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's pretty much guaranteed that Rangers are going to target Scuderi and Kunitz every shift that they're on the ice. This will render both the 2nd line and 1st PP unit irrelevant, and probably an overall detriment to the team, even if 71 is totally healthy. (which I doubt)

They're the 2 biggest weaknesses on this roster besides Craigers, whom I don't expect to play. If those 2 get the minutes that they have all season long, (and I have no reason to think they won't) it's going to be a very short post-season.

Now if coaching and management get their heads out of their *****, and use them both appropriately, (Kunitz on the 3rd or 4th line and off the PP, and Scuds on the bottom-pairing and off the PK) then we may actually make this a series.

I don't think Craigers gets time.

Winnik-Sid-Horn
Kunitz-Geno-Perron
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Lappy-Comeau

That's the lines against Buffalo and he sat. Unless Downie becomes a liability or Bennett breathes wrong, I think may have seen the last of Craig Adams.

As for the Power Play, I really hope the coaches sat around and had an "AHA!" moment as to how bad it is...and devise a completely new system that has everyone doing something completely different than before...for nothing else than to confuse the Rags. Just like in Rocky 2 when he fought right handed instead of south paw to confuse Creed.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hockey is a largely mental game at this level. The series is going to be decided by how far the Penguins are willing to go to throw the Rangers off their game. I love that they are being viewed as the big underdog. That is going to give them the right mindset to get the job done. Steal one of the first two games and turn this into a quagmire for New York.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
While I wouldn't bet on it, a team with Crosby and Malkin on it can beat anyone. Rangers aren't unbeatable and us winning wouldn't be the biggest upset ever, not even close.

And if they do beat us and the Caps make it by the Islanders, I hope the Rangers wipe the floor with the Caps

If Crosby and Malkin had more help they might be a cut above, but they don't so they're not. At least this year, we're just a team with two high end forwards and nothing else.

The playoffs are different and I respect some people's enthusiasm, but the Penguins aren't a very good team. They've got some great players, but so do a lot of other teams who also have complimentary guys. We've got literally 4 forwards I would bet a dollar might score on a given night, and I'm counting Sutter! The D is just too wrecked too.

It was mentioned on the radio and I agree: If everyone was healthy they'd be a dangerous team to play but as it stands no secondary scoring + ravaged D means early exit.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

Winnik-Sid-Horn
Kunitz-Geno-Perron
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Lappy-Comeau

That's the lines against Buffalo and he sat. Unless Downie becomes a liability or Bennett breathes wrong, I think may have seen the last of Craig Adams.

As for the Power Play, I really hope the coaches sat around and had an "AHA!" moment as to how bad it is...and devise a completely new system that has everyone doing something completely different than before...for nothing else than to confuse the Rags. Just like in Rocky 2 when he fought right handed instead of south paw to confuse Creed.

Replace Lappy with Scott Wilson and I like those lines.

Scott has been on a scoring TEAR in the A, why not at least try him out? He can't add or subtract more than Lappy can, anyways....

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013

Winnik-Sid-Horn
Kunitz-Geno-Perron
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Lappy-Comeau

Even if MJ keeps him out of the first game or two, after the Pens have dropped 2-3 games you can pretty much guarantee he will be inserted into the line-up for game 3-4 as an attempt to spark something (despite the fact that the only thing he is capable of sparking is groans from the fans) probably in place of Bennett...because of course.

At least there are no potential back-to-backs this round which could also have facilitated Craigers getting into the second game as a "fresh" body for the second game.

nape

Feb 27, 2013
The only way to win is to show no respect, play on the edge and hope the PK can bail them out when they go over.

This series has to be won by the bottom 6. Keep the scores low and draw penalties. Of course they will need to convert on any PPs.

If they stubbornly stick with the game plan they had all year of retreating and regrouping defensively in lieu of fore checking, the series will be over in 4-5.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
The only way to win is to show no respect, play on the edge and hope the PK can bail them out when they go over.

This series has to be won by the bottom 6. Keep the scores low and draw penalties. Of course they will need to convert on any PPs.

If they stubbornly stick with the game plan they had all year of retreating and regrouping defensively in lieu of fore checking, the series will be over in 4-5.

Yepp, I never thought I would be saying it, but I miss the style of forechecking we used when DB was coach. I don't miss his idiotic lineup decisions, or lack of ability to change it up in-game, but the STYLE that we played normally translated well to victories.

If he had just learned to use matchups and maybe stressed defense a BIT more, we would have been more successful.

This full-out-balls-to-the-wall team defense that Johnston runs is just not suited for this team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the pens have any chance at all they have to win game 1, or at least play well in game 1.

Pens are such a fragile team, they need confidence early in the series to make them believe they can upset NYR.

Penguinzilla*

Here's my hope:
1. Pens don't have the pressure they normally have, they are underdogs. They can 'relax' and play for once.
2. Kunitz looked like he was actually trying during the last couple of games of the season.
3. Perron seemed to finally get his feet moving in the last few games and was creating quality chances. Normally, he gets the puck and just stands there and plays around with it until he loses it.
4. Getting some rest.
5. Rangers eventually lose. That's just what they do.
6. Sutter's playing well.
7. Need 2 "other" wingers to step up and make an impact. Like Bennett or Winnick.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
My thing is I just don't see this team "upping their game" for the playoffs. We don't play physical. We don't try to exert dominance. We don't try to push anyone around. We don't take subtle shots at opposing players. If anything we use broad strokes and take penalties. Is all this going to change? I doubt it.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The RAGS have 6 D that they can dress who are better than anything the pens can now dress. Without Letang, Maata and #47, the pens d Just sucks. p

bruizer

Apr 28, 2010
The pens will finally have 6 Dmen with most of the top 4 for one of the first times since malkin came back. They had to be exhausted by the ends of the last games (see 3rd period shutdowns). As long as sid and geno play on their levels and fleury is solid a couple of guys step up in the scoring department, I'm still hopeful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad