Yes or no... Adam Larsson for Nail Yakupov?

• Thread starter DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
  • Start date

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

With the defensive prospects we have in the pipeline (Gélinas, Merrill, Severson, Santini, etc), the lack of talent up front and a current roster who's average age in our top #9 is around 34 years old, adding a bluechip forward like Yakupov would be a very solid move IMO.

It would benefit the Oilers since they look pretty stacked up front with all the 1st overall picks they've been stockpilling threw the years and it would also give them some solid talent on the blueline with Schultz, Klefbom and Nurse who are young players with solid upside.

I honestly think it's a move we should consider and I don't see why the Oilers wouldn't consider it as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Too bad Yakupov screams like the kind of guy that'll pull a Radulov at the drop of a hat, especially since he doesn't like to play two-way hockey and acts like he's frigging entitled.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
dilute our defense even further for a forward that is speculated to return to Russia? yeah ok!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

For a guy who has been on record saying he won't play our style + he's Russian?

No thanks

And what style is that? The winless in 6 games style?

If that's the case, I'd rather play the "Yakupov style" to be honest with you and no, adding a Russian isn't and shouldn't be a concern. I can understand you're still hurt about IK bolting home but let's be real here for a second... he left because he could make in 4 years, the same amount of cash we were offering over 14 years.

Any human being that was going to get that offer would've jumped on it whitout thinking twice about it but as fans, we tend to forget the "human aspect" and look at things with a bias angle.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Larsson + whatever for Eberle

Eberle or Yakupov... one or the other honestly, I wouldn't care all that much.

Edit: What's with this BS about every Russian bolting back to Russia? Jesus Christ, Kovalchuk bolted back home cause it would take him 4x less time to make the same money we were going to give him. I guess we shouldn't offer a contract to possible pending UFA's like Malkin, Datsyuk or Ovy when they'll hit the market, right?

:facepalm:

MountainGoat

I'd do it but I'm a biased Yaku fan, been watching him since day 1 with the Sting here in Sarnia

I don't know if it's a smart trade to do with our current defense, Gelinas and Merrill have to work out for us or we're ****ed

tsipka

Oct 3, 2008
If you guys think Larsson is benched a lot, imagine what Deboer will do to a guy who doesnt want to play his system.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
You can take that proposal.... Shine it up real nice... Turn it side ways and STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDY ASS!!!

IF YA SMELLALALALA WHAT THE BRIT IS COOKING

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Yup I'd do it.. I'm starting to get the feeling that Larsson needs a change of scenery to reach his true potential, and if the case, then he's never going to really work here and this could be our best return (a #4 for a #1)

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Yup I'd do it.. I'm starting to get the feeling that Larsson needs a change of scenery to reach his true potential, and if the case, then he's never going to really work here and this could be our best return (a #4 for a #1)

OR we could change our coaching staff with people who actually work well with young players and develop him into the #1-2 he can be.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

It's funny how everyone, including myself, laughed at the comparision TSN made when he got drafted (Sami Salo) but I'm actually crossing my fingers that he'll reach Sami Salo's upside instead of Lidstrom, wich was unfair to begin with.

He can't cut down angles the right way and let's everyone beat him to the outside wayyyyyyyyyy too often. He doesn't have the foot speed to properly pin someone to the boards when their coming at him full speed.

I'm starting to think we "Columbus BlueJacketed" the kid and it might be too late to salvage whatever talent he has left when taking into consideration the guys that are coaching him ATM.

MountainGoat

Yakupov is a massive flight risk and another Russian with baggage. **** no.

nah he's a good kid, flight risk? I guess you could say that with every Russian

Idk what this baggage stuff is your talking about, unless your talking about his final year in the ohl when Hockey Canada tried to screw him over

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

nah he's a good kid, flight risk? I guess you could say that with every Russian

Idk what this baggage stuff is your talking about, unless your talking about his final year in the ohl when Hockey Canada tried to screw him over

A 20 year old kid who's at his 2nd season in the NHL, while leading his team in goals as a rookie over guys like Taylor Hall, wouldn't be a solid pickup because he has "baggage"?

I'm on your side here, what kind of "baggage" can a 20 year old rookie really have :huh:

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
OR we could change our coaching staff with people who actually work well with young players and develop him into the #1-2 he can be.

It's funny how everyone, including myself, laughed at the comparision TSN made when he got drafted (Sami Salo) but I'm actually crossing my fingers that he'll reach Sami Salo's upside instead of Lidstrom, wich was unfair to begin with.

He can't cut down angles the right way and let's everyone beat him to the outside wayyyyyyyyyy too often. He doesn't have the foot speed to properly pin someone to the boards when their coming at him full speed.

I'm starting to think we "Columbus BlueJacketed" the kid and it might be too late to salvage whatever talent he has left when taking into consideration the guys that are coaching him ATM.

I'm leaning more towards DATW's outlook on Larsson.. The kid is getting beat out there and in those situations, like with Kane the other night, that's not coaching that's on Larsson.. He looked great and played with confidence in the pre-season, but every year during the season he plays like a scared kid.. And that's exactly what the coaches said to him in their meetings earlier this week (per TG).. He even agreed, and then came out with the same lack of confidence in his play that we've seen.. Not like someone who knows they have the ability to be a #1 or 2

Now, you could argue that the coach needs to practically guarantee him a spot in the lineup every night so that it makes him feel confident and trusted, but at some point he's also got to play confident when given his opportunities to prove he can do it.. I just feel like what would be best for him at this point is to go into a new organization and new environment, and if we don't get something for him now, his value will only decline until he goes elsewhere (either via FA or a weak trade) and then the change turns his game around.. At which point, we all jump off a cliff :(

B A T M A N

Would do it in a heartbeat. I have loved Yakupov since his Sarnia days.

Yakupov is a massive flight risk and another Russian with baggage. **** no.
He came from the OHL, not the KHL. He is no flight risk. He knows which league is the real deal, and which one is a circus act.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad