Value of: Yegor sharangovich

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He's gonna have 30+ goals and is a special teams demon who has positional and line-up versatility and makes $3.1 million through next season.

This may be his career year in terms of goal scoring but there is very little reason for Calgary to move him unless you overpay. Every team could use a guy like this for the 24-25 season at his price point so if available, the market would basically be every team looking to improve their line-up.

There's probably a world where it would be smart for the Flames to liquidate him into some great assets instead of giving him a big extension but expect the market to be hot if they do.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I know Calgary fans think the world of him now... but when NJ moved him, it was in part because they weren't even certain of qualifying him. He seems to have found a perfect fit in Calgary, and he's clicking in all kinds of ways, but if I were a rival GM I wouldn't want to risk prime assets to acquire him, since nothing shows that next season he'll find the same kind of groove.

His usefulness to Calgary clearly outvalues his value to other teams, IMO. If I were his agent, I'd be advising him not to get too greedy and sign in Calgary, since a few solid years might up his all-around value, but right now as a UFA he'd be someone to be skeptical about.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I know Calgary fans think the world of him now... but when NJ moved him, it was in part because they weren't even certain of qualifying him. He seems to have found a perfect fit in Calgary, and he's clicking in all kinds of ways, but if I were a rival GM I wouldn't want to risk prime assets to acquire him, since nothing shows that next season he'll find the same kind of groove.

His usefulness to Calgary clearly outvalues his value to other teams, IMO. If I were his agent, I'd be advising him not to get too greedy and sign in Calgary, since a few solid years might up his all-around value, but right now as a UFA he'd be someone to be skeptical about.
Why wouldn't he be as useful to other teams?

I also was not a fan of his last year or two in New Jersey but outside of a slightly high shooting percentage, there's not much about what he's doing that seems unrepeatable in any solid situation. I feel like this is much more a player just growing into his skillset than a player to be skeptical about.

He's one of the most dangerous short-handed players in the league and he's been producing all over the line-up on a team not exactly flush with star line drivers. Maybe the 17.7% shooting comes down, but his PDO is a ridiculously low 962 and he's not a guy relying on PP production.

IMO he's just become a really good player whose versatility and cheap salary next year make him a top notch asset. I think other teams would absolutely value him highly.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I also was not a fan of his last year or two in New Jersey but outside of a slightly high shooting percentage, there's not much about what he's doing that seems unrepeatable in any solid situation. I feel like this is much more a player just growing into his skillset than a player to be skeptical about.

He's one of the most dangerous short-handed players in the league and he's been producing all over the line-up on a team not exactly flush with star line drivers. Maybe the 17.7% shooting comes down, but his PDO is a ridiculously low 962 and he's not a guy relying on PP production.

IMO he's just become a really good player whose versatility and cheap salary next year make him a top notch asset. I think other teams would absolutely value him highly.
Bring him back to Jersey Fitzy!

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The issue was NOT qualifying him. It was the issue of hoe much he getd in arbitration

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Because his last year in NJ he clearly wasn't a great asset, he might well be a 30 goal scorer from now on, or he could revert to the mean and be a 20 goal scorer for the next few years, in particular if he can't catch lightning in a bottle the way he has in Calgary. There's nothing wrong with that, but if I'm making an offer to trade for him, I'm thinking I'm getting a 20 goal scorer, not a 30-goal one. Even worse, if he expects to be extented as if he's a perennial 30 goal scorer.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The issue was NOT qualifying him. It was the issue of hoe much he getd in arbitration
If you don't qualify him, arbitration is moot.

Besides, I heard Marty Brodeur say outright they weren't sure to qualify him.

Reactions: Stealth JD

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Ross Colton comp+ slightly. Late 1st?

His play or advanced analytics haven't changed at all tho?

Literally the only thing that's changed is the shooting%

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Ross Colton comp+ slightly. Late 1st?

His play or advanced analytics haven't changed at all tho?

Literally the only thing that's changed is the shooting%
Yeah I mean he was a good player in 21-22...his 24 goals in 76 games isn't much different than it is this year, he's just adding more PP duties to his special teams minutes and he's getting increased usage which is why I think he's "growing" into a bigger role and the results are very positive.

All that says to me is his poor 22-23 is probably the outlier year.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Good player and I wouldn't blame Calgary for trying to sell high on him, I do think there would be some hesitation from teams with his history of being a streaky player coupled with a rather high shooting %. He likely has less value to other teams than he does to the Flames, seems like the perfect spot for him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Conroy should start negotiation talks once season is done with all his UFA's and see where their heads are at. If the guys are asking far too much and you can't lock them up then move them at the draft.

I assume he wants to keep Yegor, but if he's going to cost too much and you can sell high than do it while you can.

Reactions: Boomstick

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I wanted the Rangers to go at him at the deadline.

A solid 20/20 guy with higher potential as he is demonstrating now.

Solid hockey player right there.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'd sooner re-sign him honestly unless we do a down to the studs rebuild and move out Andersson, Weegar, Coleman, Backlund and Kadri. A late 1st and something small is probably all we'd get for him. Not really worth moving him out for that.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Needs to be sold immediately next year. Flames fans have been grumbling about the Mangiapane contract but Sharangovich’s next one will be much worse

Ledge And Dairy

Needs to be sold immediately next year. Flames fans have been grumbling about the Mangiapane contract but Sharangovich’s next one will be much worse
The flat cap really hurt middle players. Coleman was constantly bagged on until this year despite how effective his defensive game has been the last few years. Mangiapane is very fairly paid for his even strength production and strong metrics despite very difficult deployment, yet he's been the punching bag this season for Flames fans since Dube left. If Mange hit the market this summer he would get roughly the same cap hit. Sharangovich on the other hand is going to get paid similarly to Mangiapane on his next deal, probably even more. He will be fairly paid and people will still complain. Fans hate fairly paid players, they want all their players on team friendly deals.

We should be selling him because we don't need more middle 6 talent long term on lucrative deals. Plus his trade value is the highest it's ever been right now. We should have given him the Nick Paul contract last summer instead of a 2 year deal, now with over 50 points he's due for probably double his current salary

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

Guy has more goals than Huberdeau and Gaudreau combined while making a 1/3rd as much and half the fanbase wants to ship him out.

I don't get it. He's got skill you can't teach.
Gaudreau has scored more than 30 goals twice in his entire career, and Huberdeau has only gotten 30 twice. Neither are considered goal scorers yet both players have hit the century mark so that argument is just silly. Both of those players need guys natural goal scorers to pass to. Whereas Sharangovich is just an averagely skilled player with tenacity and a strong work ethic. There's nothing he does that is flashy or particularly brilliant. His "unteachable" skill is tenacity, not natural talent like Zegras or something. Don't get me wrong these kinds of players are important for success but we already have a bunch of them; Coleman and Mangiapane are the exact same way, Zary and Pelletier play that way too but are not fully developed yet. We can't plan to keep all of them, we need legitimate natural high end talent on the roster. Take Tampa's 2 recent cup wins, Sharangovich is a player like Palat, the problem is we have no one like Stamkos, Hedman, Point, or Kucherov. We have a good player in Kadri and hypothetically Huberdeau is a star caliber player too but that's not enough.

He also only makes that much for 1 more year, then he will be making over 6M and want a long term deal.

KovalchukFistPump

Too lazy to change username
Dec 24, 2008
California
I see he has a pretty bad +/- compared to other Calgary players. How is his 5v5 defensive play? Problem with the devils is that while he was good on the PK,!he got clearly outplayed by guys like Tatar for a top 6 wing spot. Obviously given Mercer and Holtz’ poor seasons, the Devils could have used him this year. But there was a reason he barely cracked the lineup in the playoffs. Seems to have been the only person to click with Huberdeau though.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Gaudreau has scored more than 30 goals twice in his entire career, and Huberdeau has only gotten 30 twice. Neither are considered goal scorers yet both players have hit the century mark so that argument is just silly.

Did I say he's better all around than those players? No.
So you arguing against that argument is just silly.
They might not hit 30G again in their careers.

Both of those players need guys natural goal scorers to pass to. Whereas Sharangovich is just an averagely skilled player with tenacity and a strong work ethic. There's nothing he does that is flashy or particularly brilliant. His "unteachable" skill is tenacity, not natural talent like Zegras or something. Don't get me wrong these kinds of players are important for success but we already have a bunch of them; Coleman and Mangiapane are the exact same way, Zary and Pelletier play that way too but are not fully developed yet. We can't plan to keep all of them, we need legitimate natural high end talent on the roster.

None of the guys you've listed here can beat a goalie clean from distance with any consistency whatsoever. That's Sharangovich's unteachable skill. That's his natural talent. We need legitimate natural high end talent just like we need legitimate natural mid range talent. More good players than bad. Takes all types when building a good a hockey team and a shooter is always an asset. One that can play C or W and both special teams is even better. Mangiapane is the guy you're thinking of that mostly just has tenacity, and that tenacity has been running dry since he signed that big deal.

He also only makes that much for 1 more year, then he will be making over 6M and want a long term deal.

Oh the horror. A 27 year old goalscorer on a term deal.
The question Conroy needs to ask himself is if this player is useful to the Calgary Flames in their roster build. If he wants too much money or some other team offers a lot for him or some combo of both then that usefulness would need to be remeasured. But just selling a good player because he had a good year is asinine. For what? A pick in the 20s? The odds on that pick even hitting 50pts within 5 years aren't really that good.

Reactions: Boomstick

Ledge And Dairy

Did I say he's better all around than those players? No.
So you arguing against that argument is just silly.
They might not hit 30G again in their careers.

None of the guys you've listed here can beat a goalie clean from distance with any consistency whatsoever. That's Sharangovich's unteachable skill. That's his natural talent. We need legitimate natural high end talent just like we need legitimate natural mid range talent. More good players than bad. Takes all types when building a good a hockey team and a shooter is always an asset. One that can play C or W and both special teams is even better. Mangiapane is the guy you're thinking of that mostly just has tenacity, and that tenacity has been running dry since he signed that big deal.

Oh the horror. A 27 year old goalscorer on a term deal.
The question Conroy needs to ask himself is if this player is useful to the Calgary Flames in their roster build. If he wants too much money or some other team offers a lot for him or some combo of both then that usefulness would need to be remeasured. But just selling a good player because he had a good year is asinine. For what? A pick in the 20s? The odds on that pick even hitting 50pts within 5 years aren't really that good.
Huh? There's nothing elusive about Sharangoch's shot at all. He's not a natural goal scorer at all. Like Mangiapane, he's simply got a good strong shot and a nose for the net. He's not going to score at 17%+ next year. He's got 28 goals so far this season and an expected goals of 21 (which is the same as Mangiapane just one has more luck than the other).

I am not against re-signing him. I am saying we should be gauging his market value before we sign him to a lucrative contract. Odds are he will have very high trade value to a contender/pretender due to his cheap contract.

Reactions: dgibb10

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
They have found precious few players who work with Huberdeau.

Sharangovich does. Stop playing him as a centre.

There’s a cap floor - my preference is to keep him.

If he doesn’t want to stay, he’ll return a tidy profit.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Huh? There's nothing elusive about Sharangoch's shot at all. He's not a natural goal scorer at all.

Maybe we're not watching the same player. He would be tied for the lead or leading 12 NHL teams in goals this season.
Is he not doing it naturally enough?

this is him beating an unscreend perennial Vezina candidate and 2x Stanley Cup champ clean from the top of the circles
Flames have not had an outside shooting threat like that in their forward ranks since Mike Cammalleri left

Like Mangiapane, he's simply got a good strong shot and a nose for the net. He's not going to score at 17%+ next year. He's got 28 goals so far this season and an expected goals of 21 (which is the same as Mangiapane just one has more luck than the other).

I'm sorry but expected goals is such a trash twitter stat. Pretty sure I remember Jesse Puljujarvi leading the entire league in xG/60 one year and that poor boy couldn't score in a monkey whorehouse with a fistful of bananas.

Until they have data on where the other players are on the ice and who is doing the shooting it's not worth nearly as much stock as people seem to want to put into it. A corsi event at the side of the net of a 4th liner pumping it into a set goalie's pads is worth 3x more than an Ovechkin one time rocket from outside the dot. Because math said so :laugh:

I am not against re-signing him. I am saying we should be gauging his market value before we sign him to a lucrative contract. Odds are he will have very high trade value to a contender/pretender due to his cheap contract.

Sure. Gauge the trade value. But I don't see the rush to trade a guy in his mid 20s who's just had a break out year on your team, a team that as you pointed out desperately needs offensive talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00