Player Discussion: Yegor Chinakhov

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
IMG_0594.jpeg

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Are Sillinger, Marchenko, Chinakov, Johnson and Voronkov all core players for the future? They can’t all be bridge deals because the day of reckoning if contracts expire in close proximity will limit who can be extended.

The franchise needs to decide which guys get shorter term bridge deals and longer term (5+) deals. Who gets what is a tough call but I don’t want Jarmo making those calls.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Are Sillinger, Marchenko, Chinakov, Johnson and Voronkov all core players for the future? They can’t all be bridge deals because the day of reckoning if contracts expire in close proximity will limit who can be extended.
i think young, talented players can be viewed as potential long-term solutions without being classified as core players.

all five guys you listed are good young players. the only 'core' guy on that list, to me, is johnson. the other four are all tracking towards being very useful supporting pieces, which are valuable in their own way, but very different from core.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
i think young, talented players can be viewed as potential long-term solutions without being classified as core players.

all five guys you listed are good young players. the only 'core' guy on that list, to me, is johnson. the other four are all tracking towards being very useful supporting pieces, which are valuable in their own way, but very different from core.
In concept I agree, but Chinny and Marchenko look like the core players to me. Maybe I am missing something, but I am disappointed with KJ's progression this year.
I would really like to see this group, with Fantilli, Mateychuk and Mateychuk latch on to this team like the core in Boston did. With a few outstanding grey beards (yes, you Werenski - you are becoming a grey beard in this franchise!) to fill in the gaps.
But you need the right front office and coach to get that level of buy-in, where they all get compensated nicely but TOGETHER. Not necessarily a home-town discount but a team discount to keep the band but not $10M for anybody. That is part of the reason I believe JK needs to go - I don't think he is capable of generating that kind of emotional buyin from such a group as a whole.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
In concept I agree, but Chinny and Marchenko look like the core players to me. Maybe I am missing something, but I am disappointed with KJ's progression this year.
I would really like to see this group, with Fantilli, Mateychuk and Mateychuk latch on to this team like the core in Boston did. With a few outstanding grey beards (yes, you Werenski - you are becoming a grey beard in this franchise!) to fill in the gaps.
But you need the right front office and coach to get that level of buy-in, where they all get compensated nicely but TOGETHER. Not necessarily a home-town discount but a team discount to keep the band but not $10M for anybody. That is part of the reason I believe JK needs to go - I don't think he is capable of generating that kind of emotional buyin from such a group as a whole.
'Completely agree on KJ. I feel like he needs to work on his speed and acceleration to really take the next step. The vision and passing is sublime at times but the skating is really what's stopping him from truly breaking out.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I feel like they are working so hard on KJs deficencies right now its masking his creativity. It doesnt concern me longterm but right now he doesnt look as free and creative offensively

Reactions: Forepar

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Maybe I am missing something, but I am disappointed with KJ's progression this year.
Why?
How much of that is due to Johnson playing with Bemstrom, rather than Chinakhov like Sillinger? How much due to playing under 14 mins a night?

You are disappointed in Johnson, yet he’s scoring at the same rate as Sillinger this year, and scores at a much higher rate over their full NHL careers.

Development is not linear.
'Completely agree on KJ. I feel like he needs to work on his speed and acceleration to really take the next step. The vision and passing is sublime at times but the skating is really what's stopping him from truly breaking out.
He’s already a 40ish point player scoring at a 2nd line P/60 rate (top liner 5v5 P/60 rate! 81st in NHL) playing slow. Imagine when he can play fast AND slow. Skating takes time. If you expected him to fix that and try to gain weight over one season, I don’t think that’s very fair at all.

EDIT: sorry, did not realize that this is the Chinakhov thread not the Roster Discussion thread.

Last edited:

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
If you expected him to fix that and try to gain weight over one season, I don’t think that’s very fair at all.

I didn't say any of that, just that he needs to improve his skating to take the next step.

FWIW, putting on a ton weight has diminishing returns for a player like KJ who already avoids contact. If he's fast enough and keeps the passing elite, no one will care if he can forecheck hard.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I didn't say any of that, just that he needs to improve his skating to take the next step.

FWIW, putting on a ton weight has diminishing returns for a player like KJ who already avoids contact. If he's fast enough and keeps the passing elite, no one will care if he can forecheck hard.
I shouldn’t have said ‘you’ -> I’m speaking for the fan-base in general, the two knocks on him were
1. Size/strength
2. Speed

He tried to gain weight last off-season, as it was evident last year he needed to. He’s already a good skater, just not a fast skater.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Sorry to get into this topic. KJ was trying to put on muscle, gain weight. This is often accompanied by an impairment in skating, as the body has to get used to the new weight and KJ was never a speed skater.

To his partners in lines, there are all:

@Cowumbus is in part right. In addition, let's not forget that now admittedly playing with Marchenko , but Kirill can not score a goal.

Reactions: Cowumbus

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I think for KJ rather than trying to gain muscle mass, gaining strength would make way more sense, especially core. I wouldn't necessarily want him big and strong, just deceivingly strong for his size and build.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Why?
How much of that is due to Johnson playing with Bemstrom, rather than Chinakhov like Sillinger? How much due to playing under 14 mins a night?

You are disappointed in Johnson, yet he’s scoring at the same rate as Sillinger this year, and scores at a much higher rate over their full NHL careers.

Development is not linear.

He’s already a 40ish point player scoring at a 2nd line P/60 rate (top liner 5v5 P/60 rate! 81st in NHL) playing slow. Imagine when he can play fast AND slow. Skating takes time. If you expected him to fix that and try to gain weight over one season, I don’t think that’s very fair at all.

EDIT: sorry, did not realize that this is the Chinakhov thread not the Roster Discussion thread.
It's the Chinny thread, and thus why I didn't go to great length explaining my view on KJ.
I think KJ will be a good player - but he looks "stuck" to me. It's not just about points, it's that he doesn't seem to be fully engaged.
I wasn't expecting good from KJ - I was expecting elite.
It's possible that has more to do with the type of game he plays (avoid contact) than his development in his game. Probably explains why I am not enamored with Gaudreau either. Perhaps the elite performance is there (not being facetious) but I just don't see it coming in KJ.

Reactions: thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
i was thinking 2.5-3million right now on a bridge
I actually think this is a good figure.

But with everything on RFA contracts, timing is everything.

Jarmo doesn't have good gambling instincts. Throwing $3 million or even $3.5 million/year on a 4 year deal Chinakov's way when he appears to be breaking out is very low risk. If he turns sour, he can be bought out at 1/3rd of the deal. Marchenko should have taken care of months ago.

Jarmo is more inclined to take high risk on players who have likely peaked and are at an age where they are more likely to decline than maintain their previous production levels (see Gaudreau and Severson) and at the time that their market value is inflated. The risk/reward of a bit more to Chinakov is so much better than his long term, aging free agent deals that it's not even funny.

The decision-making tree on contracts by Jarmo and JD is probably less complicated and more fraught with error than a bright 12 year old could make. I'm not kidding on this. Outside of the recent Boone Jenner deal, it's hard to point at a Jarmo/JD contract and say "that's a great deal for the team!".

Last edited:

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
I actually think this is a good figure.

But with everything on RFA contracts, timing is everything.

Jarmo doesn't have good gambling instincts. Throwing $3 million or even $3.5 million/year on a 4 year deal Chinakov's way when he appears to be breaking out is very low risk. If he turns sour, he can be bought out at 1/3rd of the deal. Marchenko should have taken care of months ago.

Jarmo is more inclined to take high risk on players who have likely peaked and are at an age where they are more likely to decline than maintain their previous production levels (see Gaudreau and Severson) and at the time that their market value is inflated. The risk/reward of a bit more to Chinakov is so much better than his long term, aging free agent deals that it's not even funny.

The decision-making tree on contracts by Jarmo and JD is probably less complicated and more fraught with error than a bright 12 year old could make. I'm not kidding on this. Outside of the recent Boone Jenner deal, it's hard to point at a Jarmo/JD contract and say "that's a great deal for the team!".
you cant fault jarmo for taking a shot on a player that was coming off an 115point season
consider we are the bjs and free agents never want to play here.... if johnny was playing the way he was in Calgary we would be in a playoff positions.

ANYways China is nasty since it is his thread

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
you cant fault jarmo for taking a shot on a player that was coming off an 115point season
consider we are the bjs and free agents never want to play here.... if johnny was playing the way he was in Calgary we would be in a playoff positions.

ANYways China is nasty since it is his thread
Can you imagine the posts from people if it came out that Gaudreau WANTED to be here and we DIDNT sign him. And then he signed somewhere else in the division or conference?

People would want Jarmo fired even more than signing him and having a lackluster season.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Can you imagine the posts from people if it came out that Gaudreau WANTED to be here and we DIDNT sign him. And then he signed somewhere else in the division or conference?

People would want Jarmo fired even more than signing him and having a lackluster season.
the usual suspects would be happy as ticks on a buck for something to cry about and blame Jarmo for

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad