Player Discussion: Yegor Chinakhov

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Our next great Russian forward following. uh, never mind. Hopefully he turns out to be the next great Jarmo draft find.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He was starting to improve and look like an NHL player before he got hurt last year. My expectations are for him to pick up where he left off and continue that improvement.

Reactions: Youngguns80 and ViD

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously not Datsyuk but he did a Datsyuk against Carolina and nobody speaks about this.

He has great moves on the goalie but Chinny is not generally good in carrying the puck through traffic, he likes to wheel the outside. If his handling ability was average, much less Datsyukian, it would let him get to the middle much more often.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If his handling ability was average, much less Datsyukian, it would let him get to the middle much more often.
And get the shots off quicker. Inconsistent puckhandling has always been one of his biggest weaknesses, looking forward to see how much it has improved since last time he played in an NHL game.

Reactions: majormajor

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
He has great moves on the goalie but Chinny is not generally good in carrying the puck through traffic, he likes to wheel the outside. If his handling ability was average, much less Datsyukian, it would let him get to the middle much more often.
It'll be interesting how he has progressed, specifically with less time and with lots of players around him. His breakaways are money though.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Agent says Yegor Chinakhov ‘unhappy’ with Columbus Blue Jackets, considering trade request​

Chinakhov’s goal was a beautiful individual effort that included him outskating three Bruins at the end of his shift to collect the puck and turn it into a breakaway.

Capping it with a wicked wrister to beat goalie Linus Ullmark, the third-year Russian winger’s skill was clear as day. It was only his second goal, and according to his agent, Shumi Babaev, the Jackets’ first-round pick in the 2020 NHL draft isn’t happy playing a fourth-line role.

“He doesn’t feel they trust him, and he wants to leave,” Babaev said via text message. “They don’t understand how bad ‘Chinny’ feels.”

Chinakhov spoke with reporters after the game and said during an answer to a question about Voronkov’s homesickness that he wants to stay in the NHL. Chinakhov said that he, too, debated returning to Russia as a rookie, but his desire to play in the NHL motivated him to stay.

“Sometimes (I thought about it),” he said, “but I want to play here and that’s it.”

Should that feeling change, Chinakhov would need the Blue Jackets to loan him to a team in Russia if he wants to play there. The same applies to Voronkov, since both are under NHL contracts. Babaev said he expressed Chinakhov’s concerns to Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen about 10 days ago, but no trade request has been made yet.

Kekalainen declined to comment.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the root of the issue is that Chinakhov isn't scoring much.

That's not fun for him. And who are you taking minutes from? There are more deserving players who are playing better and scoring more.

If he scores more, and he looked great tonight, then he'll feel better and earn more minutes along the way.

It's tough though - we have too many RFA aged players. Some guys aren't going to make it here, and not because they aren't good enough to play in this league.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
That's not fun for him. And who are you taking minutes from? There are more deserving players who are playing better and scoring more.
In theory Kuraly line is the obvious candidate, but Sillinger line hasnt really earned it over them. Especially since Kuraly line gets tougher matchups.

If there was a trusted veteran 3C it'd be easier to see Kuraly line minutes going down. But if they buy one, who is sitting?

Feels to me like Chinakhov is hard stuck on the logjam and will likely end up sending the trade request.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldGoaltender

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In theory Kuraly line is the obvious candidate, but Sillinger line hasnt really earned it over them. Especially since Kuraly line gets tougher matchups.

If there was a trusted veteran 3C it'd be easier to see Kuraly line minutes going down. But if they buy one, who is sitting?

Feels to me like Chinakhov is hard stuck on the logjam and will likely end up sending the trade request.

I think the opportunity that Chinakhov needs is on the PP.

At 5v5, the Kuraly line is our best line, lol. Or you could say whatever line Danforth happens to be on is our best line. Here's the results from the last ten games.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I think the opportunity that Chinakhov needs is on the PP.

At 5v5, the Kuraly line is our best line, lol. Or you could say whatever line Danforth happens to be on is our best line. Here's the results from the last ten games.
He's on the 2PP here. There's very few teams in NHL where he'd get 1PP time, so trade request doesnt help much there.

With the 'in theory' I was referencing more to career results. From the stats I've seen Kuraly has always been 4th liner by all metrics. I doubt Kuraly's minutes will change even if he plays worse, so assumming his results regress back to normal, his line is where the extra minutes are.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
About Yegor. His agent is Shumi Babayev, who likes to make, if without diplomacy, threats in a similar way. He is known for that in the KHL. Since he is also licensed in the NHL it seems he will try it here as well. Hmm, it would be interesting to see his dealings with Jarmo. :nod:

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
It's a shame about Yegor ad I think he's been carrying his lines for the past couple weeks, or at least has looked the best on whatever line he's been on. The issue is playing with Sillinger and recently Laine have been killing his output. That said, it's not like it was that high to begin with, he's still a very young player who needs to prove a lot and get a whole lot more consistent. I have noticed an improvement since returning from the AHL though.

Saying all that, this feels like he needs to shutup, be patient, and continue working. He's still raw and needs to improve a lot but the potential is high imo. If he can show confidence and effectiveness carrying the puck in the offensive zone, he's going to turn the corner and put up more points. That and getting the hell away from Cole unless Vronk is with him.

The other elephant in the room is just how bad this team is and that's affecting every player's production on the team.

I will say this though, Vincent's usage of Chinakhov has been a joke. He's had great starts to games and still only plays 10-12 minutes. I'd agree they don't trust him, we have a coach who rather player Cole 15 mins when he can't protect a puck to save his life. Hopefully this is nothing more than, "hey, your coach is a f***ing idiot, play me more, I'll show you that I'm right."

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Jackets have six U25 NHL forwards on their contract year (Bemstrom, KJ, Chinakhov, Marchenko, Sillinger, Texier).

Ideally, those who aren't seen as long-term pieces would be put in positions to succeed (=produce) to get better value out of them at TDL or in the offseason. Those who are going to be kept, would play in more limited roles than what they're capable of playing, to hold their value down.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Can’t say I blame Chinakov … kid is a weapon , and has watched this team trot out the same veteran guys , that aren’t remotely getting it done on the powerplay . He’s on Power play #2 thats lucky to get 20-30 seconds of power play time . Honestly though , it sounds like the organization doesn’t have good support structure for our Russian players .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
He's on the 2PP here. There's very few teams in NHL where he'd get 1PP time, so trade request doesnt help much there.

With the 'in theory' I was referencing more to career results. From the stats I've seen Kuraly has always been 4th liner by all metrics. I doubt Kuraly's minutes will change even if he plays worse, so assumming his results regress back to normal, his line is where the extra minutes are.
Let’s be honest .. there is absolutely no reason , certainly not production based , where Vincent should keep putting the same guys that aren’t producing , on the top unit . For nearly the whole season our powerplay 2 , in the 20-30 seconds they get , has been more dangerous than our top unit .

Reactions: majormajor

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Here is the deal.

It is a crowded lineup full of mediocre players. If he plays like he did last night he'll be fine but nobody is making trades right now. He just needs to show he's better to rise above the pack.

He's making progress to get more ice time and be more productive but's he's also lost a lot of time to injuries that has set him back. What team out there would be willing to trade for him and promise him a top 6 role? He's on a pace to be a 30 point guy over the course of an 82 game season over the last 2 years.

Reactions: Doggy and Crede777

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Here is the deal.

It is a crowded lineup full of mediocre players. If he plays like he did last night he'll be fine but nobody is making trades right now. He just needs to show he's better to rise above the pack.

He's making progress to get more ice time and be more productive but's he's also lost a lot of time to injuries that has set him back. What team out there would be willing to trade for him and promise him a top 6 role? He's on a pace to be a 30 point guy over the course of an 82 game season over the last 2 years.

Watching last night I thought to myself that Chinakhov might be the fastest player on the team now... am I nuts?

Reactions: Cheddarcheese

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad