Yeah so, the Memorial Cup.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It is hard to make an argument that the OHL as an entire league was in a down season. It is really hard to quantify that. For the same reasons someone points to it being less competitive, the same reasons exist for another person to say it is competitive. I can point to a lack of elite players overall that make such a huge difference but I’m not sure that carries enough weight alone. There would need to be a lot of other factors along with that to make that sort of assertion.

The traditional top tier teams need to be top tier coming into the season. then they take it over the top at the deadline. It is rare a team like Guelph manufactures it at the deadline.
Burnett was masterful imo. But he paid, effectively parting with an entire class
I wasn’t sure there was a top tier elite team coming in which was why I argued so fiercely that Ottawa was right with the top teams in the East. When Ottawa pulled away, it was evident to me that there wasnt’ a top tier elite team. In no way Ottawa, struggling with youth and still winning, should have won the East/League.

I think North Bay was still the team to beat if all teams were healthy. They had depth, speed, size and probably the best Goalie. I’m not sure they’d have faired better than Peterborough in the Memorial Cup though.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I can't remember a Canadian team with so few OHL players
At the 1988 WJC, Team Canada had only four players from the OHL.

Adam Graves. (Windsor)
Marc Laniel. (Oshawa)
Jody Hull (Peterboro)
Dan Currie (Soo)

Can’t remember a year since as bad.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Not advocating the trading of 1st rnd picks in the OHL but does this not give the QMJHL and WHL teams and advantage when building a team for a run? They seem to be able to add more skilled bodies by giving away future first picks where as OHL teams are limited to their regulations on trades. I thought I heard them mention that Seattle has 10 NHL drafted players?
What elite player from a non contending teams this season was not traded because teams were not able to trade 1st round draft picks? Teams are able to get elite and veteran by trading younger players, players drafted in 1st round in the previous year’s drafts and draft picks in rounds 2 through 15. If you allow 1st round draft picks to be traded in trades for elite players then that becomes the new asking price in trades for trades for elite players. I doubt we will see more elite players traded instead the players currently being traded will just cost more. The league maybe should look at allowing trading of positioning in the 1st round of that season’s upcoming draft. An example being a team trading a 5th overall draft pick for a 11th overall pick and in the transaction they also obtain a player or another draft pick for drafting lower in the 1st round. This would not be designed for obtaining elite players but instead the focus would be to allowing a team to trade a higher pick to be able to draft a player they want or will only report to them and allowing the lower place team to receive additional assets for drafting later in the 1st round. This would hopefully put an end to defected players and the need to trade them and teams receiving an additional 1st pick as compensation.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
At the 1988 WJC, Team Canada had only four players from the OHL.

Adam Graves. (Windsor)
Marc Laniel. (Oshawa)
Jody Hull (Peterboro)
Dan Currie (Soo)

Can’t remember a year since as bad.
And, I might add, the OHL champs that year, Windsor, after sweeping the OHL playoffs, were swept at that year’s Memorial Cup.

Last edited:

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
And, I might add, the OHL champs that year, Windsor, after sweeping the OHL playoffs, were swept at that year’s Memorial Cup.

Small correction as a Windsor fan, but pretty sure Windsor ran the table in the Memorial Cup that year and lost the final in overtime.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
He got super good value in the OS deal. Almost a theft to be honest. Suzuki and Phillips for peanuts….
I think OS mismanaged the trade and was originally asking too much/waiting too long. All of a sudden they were left without a trade partner and Guelph swooped in and picked up some high end assets for pennies on the dollar.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think OS mismanaged the trade and was originally asking too much/waiting too long. All of a sudden they were left without a trade partner and Guelph swooped in and picked up some high end assets for pennies on the dollar.

That was my sense as well. However, the rumours were OS did have a trade in place but the No Trade clauses were enforced which left OS in a last minute situation trying to gain ground with another trade partner which turned out to be Guelph.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That was my sense as well. However, the rumours were OS did have a trade in place but the No Trade clauses were enforced which left OS in a last minute situation trying to gain ground with another trade partner which turned out to be Guelph.
Yeah, there was something about Suzuki not waiving NTC without (Durzi or Phillips) joining him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah, there was something about Suzuki not waiving NTC without (Durzi or Phillips) joining him.
That deal ended up being the game changer. I think the other teams players were in the car driving to OS. I can’t remember the team….SSM? London?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That deal ended up being the game changer. I think the other teams players were in the car driving to OS. I can’t remember the team….SSM? London?
That was a story too, a post on hfboards? I don’t remember the team. I also remember DeGray trying to better Icedogs-Generals gentlemen’s agreement at the WJC.

Suzuki denies he & Durzi requested or insisted on being traded together

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That was a story too, a post on hfboards? I don’t remember the team. I also remember DeGray trying to better Icedogs-Generals gentlemen’s agreement at the WJC.

Suzuki denies he & Durzi requested or insisted on being traded together

Yeah, I can’t remember but I did hear that story about the players actually in the car on their way and then got the call to turn back. I don’t know if it is true or not but it seemed so out there that I figured how can it not be true? It also makes sense of the last minute Guelph deal at a discount…or at least what seemed like a discount.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
That was the Peterborough Petes team we saw in the playoffs. I predict the Petes will play Kamloops in the tie breaker and will the game. They will be highly motivated against the Blazers because they ran the score up on them in their previous game.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
That was the Peterborough Petes team we saw in the playoffs. I predict the Petes will play Kamloops in the tie breaker and will the game. They will be highly motivated against the Blazers because they ran the score up on them in their previous game.

Quebec had a trip already booked to the Final. I’m not too sure they played all that inspired compared to their other two games. Quebec reminds me a lot of the type of game Ottawa plays, just more overall talent and experience. It is not surprising that with Quebec seemingly not at full throttle, the Petes were able to handle them quite easily. A lot of the same things I saw in the Petes series vs Ottawa I saw in that game. Quebec had issues getting to the front of the net consistently and weren’t able to generate enough coming off the cycle either. It left them mostly to the outside where the Petes are very good.

Based on what I’ve seen in this tourney so far, I don’t think you can hang your hat on this win. It is a motivator and will provide a level of confidence but the next game the Petes play will be against a motivated team trying to stay in the tourney as opposed to a team already off until the Final. I think he level of effort required will go up a few notches. Petes need to be prepared for another tough match in the tie-breaker.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Quebec had a trip already booked to the Final. I’m not too sure they played all that inspired compared to their other two games. Quebec reminds me a lot of the type of game Ottawa plays, just more overall talent and experience. It is not surprising that with Quebec seemingly not at full throttle, the Petes were able to handle them quite easily. A lot of the same things I saw in the Petes series vs Ottawa I saw in that game. Quebec had issues getting to the front of the net consistently and weren’t able to generate enough coming off the cycle either. It left them mostly to the outside where the Petes are very good.

Based on what I’ve seen in this tourney so far, I don’t think you can hang your hat on this win. It is a motivator and will provide a level of confidence but the next game the Petes play will be against a motivated team trying to stay in the tourney as opposed to a team already off until the Final. I think he level of effort required will go up a few notches. Petes need to be prepared for another tough match in the tie-breaker.
Almost every Petes playoff has been a tough match. Even in the Sudbury series they had to work for every win. They seem to up their game in pivotal games such as game 6 in the Ottawa series, game 6 and 7 in the North Bay series and game six against London. If they play Kamloops in the tie breaker there is a chance Kamloops will take them lightly based on the 10-2 game and the Petes will be highly motivated based on the fact they ran the score up on them. No matter what happens it has been a great run that our city needed. I have not seen our city so behind a sports team since the Memorial Cup in Peterborough in 1996.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Petes have a really tough path. Seattle and Kamloops? I don't think so.
If they play Kamloops in the tie breaker game they will be highly motivated because they ran the score up on them. In the Seattle game the teams were tied 3-3 with 11:22 to go in the third period. The Petes score the next goal they likely would have won the game. That scenario happened often in the OHL playoffs. The game was closer than the final score indicates. Tonight the country saw the real Peterborough Petes team that won the OHL Championship.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
If they play Kamloops in the tie breaker game they will be highly motivated because they ran the score up on them. In the Seattle game the teams were tied 3-3 with 11:22 to go in the third period. The Petes score the next goal they likely would have won the game. That scenario happened often in the OHL playoffs. The game was closer than the final score indicates. Tonight the country saw the real Peterborough Petes team that won the OHL Championship.
You really believe that was a motivated Quebec team?

Kamloops isn't motivated, in front of their city and fans and their history?

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Whoever the Petes face in the tiebreaker will be playing a back-to-back after facing their league rival and trying to desperately avoid playing in the tiebreaker game……just saying.

It has been discussed how different this tournament is to a seven game series. One of the biggest factors is that teams are not on the same schedule. This is something that will be in the Petes favour for the tiebreaker.

Just enjoying the ride!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Whoever the Petes face in the tiebreaker will be playing a back-to-back after facing their league rival and trying to desperately avoid playing in the tiebreaker game……just saying.

It has been discussed how different this tournament is to a seven game series. One of the biggest factors is that teams are not on the same schedule. This is something that will be in the Petes favour for the tiebreaker.
Hopefully 3:p PTD, less than 24 hrs between games not to benefit the Petes but to benefit me for Petes sakes
Just enjoying the ride!

ptbopete

Oct 4, 2009
Peterborough, ON

Just enjoying the ride!
The scheduling at the start of the Mem Cup didn't favour the Petes with their first two games being back-to-back but then it balanced out with the Petes getting a day of rest before their game against Quebec (who themselves were playing 2nd game in two nights) and now a day off before playing tie-breaker game vs a team that will play 2nd in two nights.

About the loss to the Petes, Patrick Roy said that his players may have been psychologically disengaged because the game wasn't a must win for them like it was for the Petes/.

What do people think? I think the Petes' smothering checking style also had an effect on the Remparts who didn't have room to move with speed through the neutral zone. When they were able to gain control in the Petes end, the Remparts were dangerous as seen with Gaucher's goal.

Two of the Petes goals were a result of a turnover by Quebec, one when they would have been called for too many men so didn't touch the puck, another when Komorov blew a tire in his own end. Another Petes goal by Lockhart was a lucky pinball shot but all three of these goals were caused by good pressure by the Petes.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The rapmarts goal in that game was to not have any serious injuries or suspensions. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of them checked out of this one.

Obviously the Petes still have to take advantage of this. So good on them for that. But I think we’re going to know for real if they actually have a shot when the tie breaker happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad