Injury Report: Yamamoto week to week with ankle injury

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Odd that we call up Granlund after adding two forwards yesterday and only sending down one (Benson).

I agree Ennis should be a similar type of replacement until he's back... but it's a bummer. He breaths a lot of life into that line and is so excellent at puck recovery.

I take "week to week" to mean it's an ankle... they will rest it fully for a full week, give it a tape for a practice to see how he's feeling and not take their chances (another week) if it still isn't stable/reasonably pain free/balloons up after.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Oh, God.

And I mean that literally. Like, c'mon God, we've been through enough.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Odd that we call up Granlund after adding two forwards yesterday and only sending down one (Benson).

I agree Ennis should be a similar type of replacement until he's back... but it's a bummer. He breaths a lot of life into that line and is so excellent at puck recovery.

I take "week to week" to mean it's an ankle... they will rest it fully for a full week, give it a tape for a practice to see how he's feeling and not take their chances (another week) if it still isn't stable/reasonably pain free/balloons up after.

Not really that odd. Granlund will fill the Benson spot (which probably would have been Ennis originally) and Ennis likely fills Yamamoto's spot.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
May not be a high ankle sprain but:

High ankle sprain recovery time hockey
It typically takes a hockey player 46 to 48 days to recover from a high ankle sprain, the vernacular for what the medical community calls a Syndesmosis sprain, according to a study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

How long do high ankle sprains take to heal?
Healing from a high ankle sprain can take anywhere from six weeks to three months — sometimes even more. Healing time depends on how badly you've injured the soft tissue and if there was any bone damage.Jan 8, 2019

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I imagine it will also be somewhat determined by how the team does during the injury as well. If Ennis steps into Yams stop and the line doesn't miss a beat, and the team is winning, they likely give him that extra week.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Curious about this one. He hurt it in 2nd period. They took an extra look at it in the room evidently between periods as Yama was late coming out for the 3rd. Plays the whole 3rd and including the first shift and now they're saying he's injured?

Seems like maybe he shouldn't have been out in the 3rd period.

I still get worried about our medical and team staff. What does week to week really mean in Oilers doublespeak?
Agreed.

We had Yamo play on it after his injury, unless they brought others in the same team misdiagnosed Larsson on a broken leg and McDavid finished the game on his injured quad.

It does raise questions on our medical staff's abilities here.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Neal and Yamo both out with this nasty injury. :mad:

Send them to see McDavids Bionic Leg Repair Team and Hyperbaric Chamber Emporium. See if we can shave a week or two off of the 3-4 weeks they are out.

For sure should be spending 4 hours a day in the Hyperbaric chamber.

Not sure if the Oilers have one, but every team should. They are proven.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Guess this means he got injured when he twisted his ankle against LA. Looked nasty, hope he's recovering well.
I'm a little bit less worried about this with AA and Ennis on the forward core..

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
This is a huge blow... We will be limping into the playoffs if we make it at all.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
And this is why I'm happy that KH actually got us some depth this year. Yamo will def be missed, but this team has been resilient all year and I expect it to continue. Tennis will jump into that spot.

All teams have injuries. Look at the nucks. They lost 2 of their best players long term. Markstrom was the main reason they've been doing so well up to this point. Can they continue to win without him?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
200.gif

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sucks but we should be able to weather this. It's not as bad as Vancouver missing Markstrom

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005
Ooof. He was our good luck charm. Week to week? The uncertainty of that doesn’t sound good.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Curious about this one. He hurt it in 2nd period. They took an extra look at it in the room evidently between periods as Yama was late coming out for the 3rd. Plays the whole 3rd and including the first shift and now they're saying he's injured?

Seems like maybe he shouldn't have been out in the 3rd period.

I still get worried about our medical and team staff. What does week to week really mean in Oilers doublespeak?
Our medical team is crap. I bet his ankle got swollen the next day. Good thing we actually got some depth at the deadline. Imagine Yamamoto out now and no depth

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Luckily the team has some depth now to help deal with these injuries.

Personally I'd still like to see what Currie could do on this team as he's firing the puck like a mother down in the AHL... 2nd in shots in the AHL and leads Bako in scoring.
No thanks omg enough with the Currie fandom. He’s another Ryan Cuffner

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
I love watching Yamamoto as much as everybody, but losing Connor is bigger than losing Kailer, and we weathered that storm. It's a blow, but this team has what it takes, especially with the new acquisitions.

Now, if the hockey gods could kindly **** off with the injuries, that would be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad