OT: XXII Olympic Winter Games - Sochi 2014

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Really hoping Benn makes it.

He better. I've been saying for 2 years now he will be on the team. I can't be having everyone here coming down on me. My cred is on the line here. Damn oiler fans.

Him making it is the only way I'll be cheering for Canada. If he makes it I'll hope for another Canada vs USA final and then may the best team win. If he's not named, USA! USA!

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm preparing for the Stars' only representative being Kari, and as a backup or 3rd string.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Eh oh Canada go! No? okay....

Haha. Wow. That was the worst.

425.ab.danza.070312.jpg

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
He better. I've been saying for 2 years now he will be on the team. I can't be having everyone here coming down on me. My cred is on the line here. Damn oiler fans.

Him making it is the only way I'll be cheering for Canada. If he makes it I'll hope for another Canada vs USA final and then may the best team win. If he's not named, USA! USA!

I was pretty confident he was going to make it until Benner hit a cold streak the last 10-15 games. And USA?? Travis, are you not a Canadian boy??? :cry:

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I was pretty confident he was going to make it until Benner hit a cold streak the last 10-15 games. And USA?? Travis, are you not a Canadian boy??? :cry:

Yeah I was pretty much ready to buy a jersey. It sucks that the two Colorado games were the ones Yzerman was at. I think his book on Benn would be a little more extensive than just the two games though.

For sure I'm Canadian - wouldnt want to be anything else. I just grew sick of my fellow fans over the years. I find Canadian fans to be the most sensitive, defensive, arrogant of the bunch. Being a Modano fan, I've heard everything from "Go home you traitor!" to "You f***in American!" The misguided hatred for Brett Hull, the idea here that if you don't cheer for a Canadian team you're "not a real hockey fan", plus the whole "Hockey Is Canada's Game!!!" b.s. drives me up the wall. I like those people to get served up a big ol piece of humble pie.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Yeah I was pretty much ready to buy a jersey. It sucks that the two Colorado games were the ones Yzerman was at. I think his book on Benn would be a little more extensive than just the two games though.

For sure I'm Canadian - wouldnt want to be anything else. I just grew sick of my fellow fans over the years. I find Canadian fans to be the most sensitive, defensive, arrogant of the bunch. Being a Modano fan, I've heard everything from "Go home you traitor!" to "You f***in American!" The misguided hatred for Brett Hull, the idea here that if you don't cheer for a Canadian team you're "not a real hockey fan", plus the whole "Hockey Is Canada's Game!!!" b.s. drives me up the wall. I like those people to get served up a big ol piece of humble pie.

Damn, those are harsh words lol. Never got that, probably because most of my time being a Stars fan I've been a kid. As well as living in Montreal, the Habs and Stars don't exactly have a rivalry whereas the Oilers and Stars do dating back to the 90's and early 00's.

Although I have been told from former friends or classmates that I am Canadian so I should at least be cheering for a Canadian team. But nothing as bad as what you've been told.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Damn, those are harsh words lol. Never got that, probably because most of my time being a Stars fan I've been a kid. As well as living in Montreal, the Habs and Stars don't exactly have a rivalry whereas the Oilers and Stars do dating back to the 90's and early 00's.

Although I have been told from former friends or classmates that I am Canadian so I should at least be cheering for a Canadian team. But nothing as bad as what you've been told.

It's kind of a snowball effect. Very first thing I ever encountered was during the 1996 World Cup. Watching with a bunch of people I said that I hope Modano does well. Instant backlash. "How could you want that??! Traitor!" Made me actually cheer for the US in that tourney so when they won I was pretty happy. Just all went downhill from there. Even that old guy at the World Jr games with the red light on his helmet and he holds up the "Hockey Is OUR Game" sign - I wanna punch him in the head haha.

I just wish Canadians were more humble and less defensive and arrogant when it comes to hockey. I respect the Canadian hockey fan who can give credit to a player for what he is, not where he's from. That's a rarity up here.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

That's because Canadian hockey fans tend to think with their emotions not their brains. When you look at Hull in a logical way there's nothing to be mad about. He's a Canadian who considers himself Canadian who played for the US because there was a (justified) bias against NCAA players at the WJC in the early 1980s.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
That's because Canadian hockey fans tend to think with their emotions not their brains. When you look at Hull in a logical way there's nothing to be mad about. He's a Canadian who considers himself Canadian who played for the US because there was a (justified) bias against NCAA players at the WJC in the early 1980s.

They tend to act like 2 year olds with their favorite toy.

Well Hull at the time was basically told he wasn't good enough for Team Canada. The knock on him was that he was slow and lazy. Obviously having dual citizenship, the U.S.A came a calling.

Team Canada brass actually wanted him to play for them in the 1991 Canada Cup (one of the best tournaments I've personally ever seen, maybe the best). He told them no thanks and stuck with the U.S.A. That right there shows loyalty, something Canadians like to say he doesn't have.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
They tend to act like 2 year olds with their favorite toy.

Well Hull at the time was basically told he wasn't good enough for Team Canada. The knock on him was that he was slow and lazy. Obviously having dual citizenship, the U.S.A came a calling.

Team Canada brass actually wanted him to play for them in the 1991 Canada Cup (one of the best tournaments I've personally ever seen, maybe the best). He told them no thanks and stuck with the U.S.A. That right there shows loyalty, something Canadians like to say he doesn't have.

In hindsight he probably wishes he played for Canada in 1991 because no one would have called him a traitor after that.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
In hindsight he probably wishes he played for Canada in 1991 because no one would have called him a traitor after that.

No he's quite happy he stuck with the U.S. Said one of his greatest moments was winning the 1996 World Cup on Canadian soil.

It's funny though because had he chosen Canada from that point on, Canadians likely wouldn't label him a traitor yet that's exactly what he would be. Peter Stastny (Czechoslovakia) played for Canada in the 1984 Canada Cup, and Peter Nedved (also Czechoslovakia) played for the Canadian National Team and in the Olympics in 1994, yet nobody batted an eyelash. I guess you're only a traitor if you choose someone else over Canada, not Canada over someone else. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
CBC just has a Canadian Olympics selection process documentary. Sounds like Benn has made the team.

He's come a long way from that 5th round pick in British Columbia Junior A.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
It's crazy to me how many people have this notion that Jamie Benn is a slow skater. He's not Modano or Seguin but the dude will fly past defenders and create an opportunity multiple times every game. I think Benn on the big ice would be an amazing thing to watch.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
It's because he operates at three-quarters speed most of the time. If you don't watch him regularly you might not see his extra gear when he senses an opportunity or needs to catch someone on the backcheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad