XXII Olympic Winter Games All Sports, Continued PARALYMPIC GAMES

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
It doesn't feel that way to me. For some reason the Olympics have become a diluted event. There's not enough parity for me to care enough. I would much prefer amateurs go out there and represent the country. I don't know why the Olympics just don't do it for me anymore.

But I can see your point.

But in four years you will watch as we all will.;)

Camille the Eel

But in four years you will watch as we all will.;)

Yeah but that's just it. This year I didn't watch. I'm a hockey fan and found this entirely missable. Not one full game, bit only of US vs. Canada.

In fact,I actually watched more of the Women's final than anything in the mens and found the women's hockey more compelling than the men. Which is why I think maybe college players in the future; the best Olympic hockey I remember was in the "amateur" era.

Why is that? Dunno. But competition from some other olympic events recorded on DVR was a part. It was actually more interesting to watch downhill skiing, for example, where it's all over then and there, than hockey.

Go figure. It may just be me. But I've spoken to and read posts from a bunch of folks who felt, inexplicably, the exact same way.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Look people were stoked after USA beat Russia. Lots of people were talking hockey, and how great a game that was, even though it didn't carry much actual weight.

And I was ready for USA Canada. I was ready for a great game.

But that was an epic let down. And the Bronze medal game? Ugh.

Maybe the problem was: Team Canada went "95 Devils"? So dominated via defense that USA looked uninterested. Even in a one goal game it was devoid of drama. Same goes for the Gold Medal game. Would it have been more fun if Quick, Hemroid, and the Latvian goalie weren't so darn good? Or if Price let in some softies? I know from where I was sitting the latter would have been welcomed.

Bottom line is I think this Olympics was an instance where expectations were super high, but a dominant team took out all the drama, and the not meeting of expectations made it look worse then it was.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
and bad for the prestige of the NHL actually.

To amplify, when I can switch from Finland vs. Slovakia or the Czech Republic, with a slew of NHL players, to watch a snowboard race or a biathalon - a ladies relay ski-ing and shooting let's say - the NHL is not all that glamorous or all that dramatic.

When you put yourself on the same par as a kind of roller-derby speed skating - the mystique of pro hockey seems slightly diminished.

Let college hockey players and junior do the olympics in the future. That's what the famous miracle on ice was - a couple of guys from BU were the stars.

We all recognize the Olympics as a time when we watch sports that we would NEVER watch otherwise. The Olympics do great ratings, beating out non sports programming which would otherwise CRUSH speed skating, so it's not that out of line that we watch boardercross over an Olympic hockey game.

Now that could be seen as an argument for watching the Jr's in olympic hockey. Most people would never watch non pro hockey, so this would be a good time to do so, and we would get a chance to see the stars of the future.

But I see the Olympics as an arena for the best athletes in their respective sports. All the other sports have that. Junior hockey is not that. And I think this consideration outweighs the previous.

Unfortunately professional considerations may outweigh all.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Amazing Athletes With Tons Of Heart Not sure if these times are correct but it was the best I could find.

Day 1: Friday, March 7, 2014

11:00 a.m. on NBCSN: Opening Ceremony
Day 2: Saturday, March 8, 2014

1:00 a.m. on NBCSN: Alpine Skiing (Downhill) (Live)
1:00 p.m. on NBC: Opening Ceremony

5:30 p.m. on NBCSN: Paralympics Day 1 Coverage

Day 3: Sunday, March 9, 2014

1:00 a.m. on NBCSN: Cross-Country Skiing (Live)
11:00 p.m. on NBCSN: Paralympics Day 2 Coverage

Day 4: Monday, March 10, 2014

2:00 a.m. on NBCSN: Alpine Skiing (Super G) (Live)
Noon on NBCSN: Paralympics Day 3 Coverage

Day 5: Tuesday, March 11, 2014

2:00 a.m. on NBCSN: Biathlon (Live)
3:00 p.m. on NBCSN: Sled Hockey – Team USA vs. Russia

Day 6: Wednesday, March 12, 2014

1:30 a.m. on NBCSN: Wheelchair Curling – Team USA vs. China (Live)
3:00 p.m. on NBCSN: Paralympics Day 5 Coverage

Day 7: Thursday, March 13, 2014

5:00 a.m. on NBCSN: Sled Hockey Semifinal (Live)
Noon on NBCSN: Sled Hockey Semifinal (Live)

Day 8: Friday, March 14, 2014

3:00 a.m. on NBCSN: Snowboarding
11:30 p.m. on NBCSN: Paralympics Day 7 Coverage

Day 9: Saturday, March 15, 2014

3:30 a.m. on NBCSN: Cross-Country Skiing (Live)
1 p.m. on NBC: Sled Hockey Final

6:30 p.m. on NBCSN: Wheelchair Curling Final

Day 10: Sunday, March 16, 2014

4:30 a.m. on NBCSN: Alpine Skiing (Giant Slalom) (Live)
3:30 p.m. on NBCSN: Closing Ceremony

Last edited:

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
838296651.gif

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
That was very Cool NBC. Im guessing that they read the feedback on the coverage of the Olympics. Im sure Im not the only one that sent about 100 emails to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad