XI. Little General Stars Talk of Horrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I would boycott any game they wore a crappy red/white/blue color scheme in.

Ditto (t.v. I mean, of course)

Following the team from Minny to Dallas was fairly seamless (though I was still upset at the time) since they were still the Stars, same unis, colors, etc. I know it would be just a 3rd, but it would be going against everything hockey to me if they were to wear something totally different. The damn red in the Mooterus was sacrilegious enough.

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I would boycott any game they wore a crappy red/white/blue color scheme in.
I would hate it if it was done in a way that looked like just another Ranger/Habs design. If they did one where the Texas flag was the obvious inspiration, then I would be happy.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
It seems despite knowing the overwhelming % of fans wanted green they came very, very close to using an entirely different color scheme. Glad the NHL was on our side on this one. Id really appreciate a more indepth video about this process. How did they get from "either blue and gold or green and gold" to green and silver. Especially since we've heard the owner isnt fond of gold at all.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Thanks for the link! Was worth watching again.

Troy, I agree it would have to be based on the Texas flag, not just red white and blue. Re-watching that piece, I saw a few logos and schemes that would seem to work for me, and a few that just looked like the Blue Jackets or Rangers. Will say the Statue of Lib third is one of my faves, influencing something along the lines of a TX themed third.

Was actually expecting Tom Hicks at some point to just use the Texas Longhorns logo on a different color for the Stars, given his TX connections. I suppose I could also see a Longhorn type logo on a black sweater as sort of a third, done correctly. Just not sure after that video that they will do a black third of any kind. IMHO, too easy to go black and have the same stars logo and maybe different shoulder patch (TX state shape, Longhorn, TX flag, etc.)

It is probably about time for them to start thinking about the third, if they haven't already.

dalness

Oct 25, 2014
That blue and gold color scheme looked nice with the current jersey. However it's not the Stars. The stars are green!

Nexus

Jul 7, 2013
I'm glad they stuck with green. At first I thought the green was too "light" but over time I learned to like it.

It's odd shade of green though, on some pictures and instances it looks darker and sometimes it looks really light greenish. But the new logo and color scheme is something I definitely like.

MetalGodAOD*

That blue and gold wasn't so bad, agreed. I also liked the logo influenced by the old StArs design. Wouldn't mind seeing that come back in a 3rd sometime.

The Red White and Blue would have been a disaster. Screw you Razor :P

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Normally I'm opposed to different shoulder patches on each shoulder, but I the look with the current shoulder patch on one and a circular version of the Texas logo from the pants on the other wouldn't have been too bad always really liked our new third logo

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
But they ain't the Stars, they're the Wild. Different franchise.

We own the N. It's ours.
Legally, yes. But Minnesota is the only franchise to use it. It's all over their arena, worn by their fans, sold in their pro shop, and shown as old highlights on the jumbo tron. Meanwhile, Dallas puts "Est. 1993" on all the merch and sells stuff like this:

03894818-59F2-4543-B512-CC0B596AB6B8_zpsed936cdd.jpg

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Legally, yes. But Minnesota is the only franchise to use it. It's all over their arena, worn by their fans, sold in their pro shop, and shown as old highlights on the jumbo tron. Meanwhile, Dallas puts "Est. 1993" on all the merch and sells stuff like this:

03894818-59F2-4543-B512-CC0B596AB6B8_zpsed936cdd.jpg

"Minnesota" is not the franchise, the "Stars" are the franchise. Minnesota was just the place they did business for the first 26 years of existence, then that business packed up and moved to Dallas in 1993 - hence the "Est 1993" part. They can put Est 1993 all they want, you can count only from 1993 on all you want, doesn't change the facts. Seriously, doesn't matter one bit what you think of it or where you want to begin the franchise in your own mind. That's 100% moot.

I mean if you're dating some chick who isn't a virgin, you can pretend all you want she isn't someone's sloppy seconds but it doesn't change anything. Her canoe was still ridden prior to you and denying it won't change the fact. Just admit that to yourself, get over it, and be happy you're the one riding it now.

And by the way, I've been to Stars games in Dallas and I watch nearly all on t.v., lots of North Stars gear in the crowd.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I'll leave you with one more thing before I drop this because we've been over it and it's ridiculous, before the decision on the unis was actually made I was emailing back and forth with Mr.Gaglardi and I went in to our uniform history (yes, back to 1967) and what our uniqueness has meant to the league since, and I promise you 100% that influenced the decision to go back to green rather than something totally different.

I actually spoke with him for a bit in person when I was down there for the final 2 games of 2013 and he said the ST/\RS symbol and the gold just didn't work well with that they were piecing together. Just an FYI.

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Anyone bought a jersey from hockeymonkey? They've got a Black Friday sale going on and with full authentic stitching you can get a custom jersey for $112 and free shipping. How good is the quality of the customization? Because I'm about to pull the trigger on a Klingberg Victory Green.

Dunno about the hockeymonkey, but I just pulled the trigger on my Klingberg Green Jersey 2 days ago. :)

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I was wondering about Minnesota selling the North Stars jerseys in their pro shop. That money goes to us does it not?

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Interesting video.

We were initially told that gold had to be replaced by silver because of the beveling effect in the new logo. Now we see that's not the case as the gold was initially used as it should be, as a border. It makes the logo pop better than it does now and reinforces the overall shape of the star so that it doesn't get lost in the D.

jerseyscreengrab.jpg

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Interesting video.

We were initially told that gold had to be replaced by silver because of the beveling effect in the new logo. Now we see that's not the case as the gold was initially used as it should be, as a border. It makes the logo pop better than it does now and reinforces the overall shape of the star so that it doesn't get lost in the D.

jerseyscreengrab.jpg
Ultimately, I think the truth is they found silver merely looks better and is more versatile as a secondary color than gold. It's a lot easier to use silver in different formats. As we learned with the baby pop scrapped third jerseys, it's not easy to make gold a bigger color. Keeping green turned out to be good to remain unique, but gold wasn't an important component of the look.

I'll leave you with one more thing before I drop this because we've been over it and it's ridiculous, before the decision on the unis was actually made I was emailing back and forth with Mr.Gaglardi and I went in to our uniform history (yes, back to 1967) and what our uniqueness has meant to the league since, and I promise you 100% that influenced the decision to go back to green rather than something totally different.

I actually spoke with him for a bit in person when I was down there for the final 2 games of 2013 and he said the ST/\RS symbol and the gold just didn't work well with that they were piecing together. Just an FYI.
If you helped talk him into going green, thanks! I love victory green, but it's not like any part of the rebranding has any connection to the North Stars. The green is totally new, and the gold is gone. Really, the colors, logos, and designs have no relation to the Minnesota days. While I am sure he was nice to listen to you talk about 1967, the team obviously did not care to make any nod back to the North Stars history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad