Prospect Info: Xavier Simoneau, Centre, Drummondville, 191st Overall

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
Saw Simoneau play a lot in juniors.

He's a very good playmaker with great IQ. He loves to get in tough spots. Relentless workhorse. He needs to work on his skating.

This guy is the passer version of Gallagher.

What I like the most about Simoneau is, like Gallagher, he's got very special positive leader qualities. There is only a handful of guys like this in hockey and like Gallagher, Simoneau is one of them. He's very active in his community and won the CHL humanitarian of the year in 19-20 which is the award given out annually to the player who made the most impact in his community accross all CHL.

Simoneau is resilient and got the mindset of a champion. He's a project but I would never count him out. This guy just never gives up. I really love this late pick.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How would it work if he plays in the ECHL or AHL next season? Should we sign him to an ELC and he would count against the 50 contracts limit? Or we could sign him to an AHL/ECHL contract?

Timmins in a recent interview said he expects him to play an overage season in Q then be signed to a minor league contract and play either in ECHL or AHL, and see if he deserves an NHL ELC. They have 2 years to sign him.

He compared it to the Harvey-Pinard signing. It sounds like the Canadiens intend to make these type of late Q picks a regular thing.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Timmins in a recent interview said he expects him to play an overage season in Q then be signed to a minor league contract and play either in ECHL or AHL, and see if he deserves an NHL ELC. They have 2 years to sign him.

He compared it to the Harvey-Pinard signing. It sounds like the Canadiens intend to make these type of late Q picks a regular thing.
With an ECHL team finally in place, it would be strange if they send him back to juniors.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With an ECHL team finally in place, it would be strange if they send him back to juniors.

Timmins in his interview with Grant,

TT: Trying the same thing with him as we did Harvey-Pinard. Play in the Q as an overage. If he’s healthy, he should run big numbers on that Charlottetown team, then go to Laval and we can see if he deserves an NHL deal or not. Sign him to an AHL deal. We own his rights for two years.
GM: Okay. Maybe he even starts in the ECHL…
TT: Yeah, we have that (option). Now that Montreal has a three-tiered system under its control, this is a good example. I talked about that on Thursday regarding David Desharnais….try to create more of that.
GM: Yeah, exactly. I thought he may play in the ECHL this year with the new franchise in Trois Rivieres and all, but okay.
TT: No, no. I’d rather he go back.

Reactions: Archijerej

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Saw Simoneau play a lot in juniors.

He's a very good playmaker with great IQ. He loves to get in tough spots. Relentless workhorse. He needs to work on his skating.

This guy is the passer version of Gallagher.

What I like the most about Simoneau is, like Gallagher, he's got very special positive leader qualities. There is only a handful of guys like this in hockey and like Gallagher, Simoneau is one of them. He's very active in his community and won the CHL humanitarian of the year in 19-20 which is the award given out annually to the player who made the most impact in his community accross all CHL.

Simoneau is resilient and got the mindset of a champion. He's a project but I would never count him out. This guy just never gives up. I really love this late pick.
He's Hudon light. And he will have a similar level of success at the NHL level.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He has better puck skills and raw tools, to my eye at least. He's even smaller than RHP though, definitely not ideal size to be a bottom 6 guy if the production dries up at the pro level.

looks quicker and better skater though. both seem to play bigger then their size but we'll see how it goes in the AHL as RHP surprised me a lot last year and this year he's really struggled. Like how he plays though, willing to get his nose dirty for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Is Simoneau a legit prospect or simply an over ager?

Likely a career minor league player but you never know. His skating is pretty awful and he is obviously small but has some strength. If he could somehow drastically improve his skating he could be very interesting but that is truly a long shot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211123-150858_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211123-150858_Chrome.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Sagikev

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Too bad Timmins passed on William Dufour last year and Olivier Nadeau this year, two big scoring wingers.

I still don't understand why, when we took Sean Farrell, we didn't also take Brett Berard. He was the leading scorer of the USNDTP in the USHL where Farrell was also playing and was still available in the 5th round...

but at least we got Farrell, Roy, Mysak, Kidney, and Simoneau from the last two drafts after the first round - better offense than most drafts. We'll of course have to see who, if any, pan out at the NHL level.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad