Prospect Info: Xavier Simoneau, Centre, Drummondville, 191st Overall

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I was thinking during Laval camp that Simoneau had the highest IQ on the team this year and that he should be centering the first line with RHP and Ylonen on is wings. Houle started him on the wing on the bottom 6...but the little bulldog is almost where I expected him to be.

Reactions: jrom

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Such a fun player to watch.
I am no expert but he appears to have NHL upside.

Definitely one of my favourite prospects to watch. I'm rooting for the kid to finally get a shot.

i've said it before but I think he gets in NHL games at some point in the next 2-3 years, he is impressive as he works hard out there but has a good amount of skill as well.

Hard not to love this kid as he is relentless and is a little bull on the ice. Hopefully his skating improves as that is the main reason for being passed over in the draft twice and nearly 3 times.

He has the IQ, work ethic and puck skills to play in the NHL. The size is obviously something of an issue but he is so strong that he can use it to his advantage at times by getting under his opponents hips and using his powerful base to win position.

I am not sure if he can improve his speed too much as he appears to have relatively short legs even for his size. This means there may not be much length to gain in his stride but even just an improvement in his crossovers and efficiency may allow him to be a little more dynamic on his edges and allow him to gain a little more separation on the ice.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Just wondering, when do you think they will sign him for next year ? He needs to be signed before June 1st

As of now he's still on AHL deal, can't even be called up to play for Montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Just wondering, when do you think they will sign him for next year ? He needs to be signed before June 1st

Only way he can be called up to Montreal is if they sign him to his ELC right away. But they won't do that. They would call Teasdale or Richard up if they need another body.

RHP was also signed to an AHL deal in 2020. Habs signed him to his 2-year ELC in May 2021.

Reactions: Number 57

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

He started the season off like gangbusters but since his head injury and wearing a cage he is barely noticeable. I like him but I don't think he did as well as RHP who had a AHL contract as well in the beginning.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He started the season off like gangbusters but since his head injury and wearing a cage he is barely noticeable. I like him but I don't think he did as well as RHP who had a AHL contract as well in the beginning.

Simoneau did come in guns blazing, and when he returned from injury, it took him a while to get back to his consistency from before his injury. Although he's picked it up lately with 6 pts in his last 9 games.

I think Simoneau is doing as good or even slightly better than RHP did in his rookie season when he was on an AHL deal, as well.

Reactions: Dutronc and Tyson

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
It's an interesting strategy deep in the draft. Most gambles don't pay off anyway. It fills the A with local talent that can play there and play well. And it's not like they have less chance of making the NHL than regular draft eligibles who would be picked in the 6th or 7th round.

It worked well with RHP, no matter how the rest of his career goes, and Simoneau shows promise as well.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's an interesting strategy deep in the draft. Most gambles don't pay off anyway. It fills the A with local talent that can play there and play well. And it's not like they have less chance of making the NHL than regular draft eligibles who would be picked in the 6th or 7th round.

It worked well with RHP, no matter how the rest of his career goes, and Simoneau shows promise as well.

They can follow that strategy with Davidson and Tourigny next year.

Reactions: Sagikev and jaffy27

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Timmins said when he picked Simoneau that the pick was influenced by RHP's success.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Habs had some good late picks under Bergevin & Timmins:
2014 7th Jake Evans
2016 6th Michael Pezzetta
2017 7th Cayden Primeau
2019 7th Rafael Harvey-Pinard

TBD if worthwhile:
2021 6th Xavier Simoneau
2021 7th Joe Vrbetic

TBD but under HuGo: