GDT: X | "Nuge Capital Gains" | Oilers vs. Caps | 8:00 PM | HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
4-3 oil and third line gets 2 of those goals:hockey:

Wow, now you're dreaming, man. I'd put a $1,000 2/1 bet that it doesn't happen, then be happy I doubled my money after the game. ;) But anything is possible.

I think this goes to OT, and Connor gets the game winner, 4-3 game. Or Drai. Yeah I'm cheating.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Ovechkin out here buy Edmonton homeless clothes. Respect for the guy just went up ten fold.

Reactions: ujju2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think maybe the key to a more effective Klefbom might be to limit his minutes more. He's playing almost 24.5 minutes a game, compared to 22.5 last season. It's actually just over a 2 minute difference, which can be quite a bit if you're not used to playing that much. Then again, in his last 4 games he's played well over 25 minutes in all of those games, and he racked up 2 assists (his only points so far) and a +1, despite those huge minutes. Hell, I don't know; it's too early to say anything definitive I guess. He did have his breakout season last year playing 20 seconds or so over 22 minutes a game, but maybe he's ready for 25+? Will be interesting to me how many minutes Todd plays him tonight. Going by his past 4 games, don't be surprised to see 26 or maybe even 27 minutes from him tonight. He is incredibly well built and strong as an ox; he just doesn't play a rough style, so I really hope he has the conditioning for this pace (2 of his last 4 games he played over 27 minutes). Hope he can keep it up. Go Klef!

He also seems to be a bit of a slow starter. Three years running now he's taken time to get his feet under him at the start of the season. Last year his struggles were masked somewhat because Sekera and Russell were playing so incredibly to start the season. But he eventually found his game and was the Oilers best d-man the last 1/2 of the season. He'll probably get going good again sooner or later.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
He also seems to be a bit of a slow starter. Three years running now he's taken time to get his feet under him at the start of the season. Last year his struggles were masked somewhat because Sekera and Russell were playing so incredibly to start the season. But he eventually found his game and was the Oilers best d-man the last 1/2 of the season. He'll probably get going good again sooner or later.

I certainly hope so. I was expecting another season of at least 35 points from him, and more hopeful for 40, to build on last season. I really hope you're right, that's it's a slow start kinda thing for him, and he gets going soon (his last 4 games were better than the first 5, so that should be a good sign...please). It's certainly no where too late to score those points or to just be a better and better all around Dman; how easily we forget, I guess, that's it's still so early -- only about 10% of the season has been played so far, which is almost nothing, really. I really hope he gets going, as he's my favorite player (but I'm also very hard on him when he sucks, so I try to be fair and objective).

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The guy has been one of, if not the best goal scorer of this generation and has given back on numerous occasions but people still love to hate him. I don't get it.

tenor.gif

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I certainly hope so. I was expecting another season of at least 35 points from him, and more hopeful for 40, to build on last season. I really hope you're right, that's it's a slow start kinda thing for him, and he gets going soon (his last 4 games were better than the first 5, so that should be a good sign...please). It's certainly no where too late to score those points or to just be a better and better all around Dman; how easily we forget, I guess, that's it's still so early -- only about 10% of the season has been played so far, which is almost nothing, really. I really hope he gets going, as he's my favorite player (but I'm also very hard on him when he sucks, so I try to be fair and objective).

Just for the sake of comparison. Last season in 9 games in October he also only had 2 points.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
The guy has been one of, if not the best goal scorer of this generation and has given back on numerous occasions but people still love to hate him. I don't get it.
Unfortunately that's what happens when you are Russian.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Yamamoto healthy scratch. Again

Just send him down to jr
For me, he is out of the lineup because McDavid & co. will probably be up against Ovie, and TMac doesn't seem to have quite that much trust in him defensively, although I think he's been impressive.

I would think the reasoning is keep him up to practice with the team and learn more about the daily grind of the NHL, whether you agree with that or not.

Really he has nothing more to learn from junior, he will just go down there and dominate.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Just for the sake of comparison. Last season in 9 games in October he also only had 2 points.

You very well indeed may be on to something. Let's hope that's the case and Klef soon plays at the top of his game on EV and on the PP like he can (though he has been better lately, as I mentioned previously). Want to see more bombs from him on the point during the PP. Watched a lot of NHL game hi-lites on TSN last night, and lots of goals were scored on the point shot on the PP. Klef needs to get his Klefbomb going again, and not lose confidence in his shot. But hopefully it'll come, as you allude to.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
For me, he is out of the lineup because McDavid & co. will probably be up against Ovie, and TMac doesn't seem to have quite that much trust in him defensively, although I think he's been impressive.

I would think the reasoning is keep him up to practice with the team and learn more about the daily grind of the NHL, whether you agree with that or not.

Really he has nothing more to learn from junior, he will just go down there and dominate.

He has a lot to learn. If he had learned everything with nothing left to prove he would have went top 5. This was not a deep draft.

He needs to be developed

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

That’s bull. We have last change, so any line mis matches is tmacs fault.

This would be a great game to get him back in, see if he can build some confidence against a sub par d.

I see no point keeping him up if he’s going to sit. He needs to be playing hockey one place or another.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
That’s bull. We have last change, so any line mis matches is tmacs fault.

This would be a great game to get him back in, see if he can build some confidence against a sub par d.

I see no point keeping him up if he’s going to sit. He needs to be playing hockey one place or another.

I'm not saying line mismatch, I'm saying that TMac is going to actively match McDavid against Ovechkin, like he did last game against the Benn line. Fight fire with fire.

They'll give him his nine games and send him down, but at this point we need to win, and I guess that means Kailer is out. His development is not the main factor in the decision at this point

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo

I think Yamo has been very good, too, for the most part. Don't think he can learn much more in the WHL. This is a guy who scored 57 points in 68 games as a 15 year old rookie in the WHL, who probably only weighed 130 at most at the time, soaking wet, then easily put up over a point per game his D-1 season and of course his draft year where he had the highest points/game ratio than anyone in the first round (I believe; it's close with Hischier). When you can put up points like that on a pretty average team (at best) I think he can learn more from watching Connor, Drai and the other pros in the NHL -- 1st year of his ELC be damned. I really don't care about that. If he has a poor season points wise, it should only help our bargaining position. That wasn't the case with Drai, but I think we overpaid Drai (as much as I love him, I think he's a 7.5m guy at most, but I'm not getting into that -- it's too subjective to have a real debate of any substance because of said subjectivity). So yeah, I think Yamo should stay. Play maybe half the season, and watch the other half from above and learn more about the pro game from watching the games. Seems like a better development plan than for him to go to the WHL and put up 2 points a game without even really trying, with Dmen that are mostly terrible compared to NHL Dmen. I just don't see what he could learn down there that would be so important for his development; can't think of anything. And I better not hear "confidence". The kid has confidence -- zero question.

Reactions: oilers'72

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I said this earlier too. Caps will score 3-4 tonight. Let's hope our goal scoring can be good again tonight too.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Sounds like a very good plan. The final game of the Oilers next back to back is on the 12th in Washington. It's a pretty intense stretch with seven games in November by then. Give Yamamoto two games in that stretch and send him down after the next Washington game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad