GDT: x-CAR - CHI - DundonSlavin Hockey Co.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Not that it probably matters, but does he require waivers after playing in Europe?

If you're referring to this rule, as I assume you are:

13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim. This section shall not apply to a Player on the Reserve List or Restricted Free Agent List of an NHL Club with whom the Player is signing an NHL SPC or is party to an existing SPC with such NHL Club.

the answer is no. The rule is oft misunderstood. I'm not sure I get the idea behind it, but it seems to apply (only) to fresh-new players signed from overseas during the season.

It doesn't apply to players who already are within the organisation, as a Reserve List player who already is drafted (or rights-traded) or signed to the club or an RFA of it.

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe the idea is that you can't make handshake deals with talented free agents to bring them in only around the midseason for Cup run and cap circumvention purposes.

The Waivers requirement take care that the guy brought in this way can't be too good a player, while not completely outlawing any midseason signings from overseas.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Anyone that can't keep up, don't feel bad. Just remember the time the Flames signed O'Reilly to an offer sheet when he was playing overseas and would have lost him to waivers if the Avs didn't match.
And with the Avs being dead last in the league at that point of the season, they would have had the first chance to claim him. I legitimately can't figure out which of the GMs was more of a moron in that instance. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad