Recalled/Assigned: Wyatt Kaiser

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Outside of Bedard and Vlasic, none of these young dudes would see nearly as much NHL time with any decent team as they have this season, they'll be alright. Kaiser is a 21 year old that made around half a million this year.
All I know is he was making 10k game checks and now he’s making 2k. I’d be upset. While players I am better than (Tinordi, Megna) collect their full check.

If he was sucking then idc about the money. Play better, get paid. He did that and is still getting screwed.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Outside of Bedard and Vlasic, none of these young dudes would see nearly as much NHL time with any decent team as they have this season, they'll be alright. Kaiser is a 21 year old that made around half a million this year.
He'll be alright but it doesn't change anything I said. Getting sent down at the beginning of the year made sense. He was struggling. He's playing good hockey right now. He's being rewarded with a massive pay cut.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
All I know is he was making 10k game checks and now he’s making 2k. I’d be upset. While players I am better than (Tinordi, Megna) collect their full check.

If he was sucking then idc about the money. Play better, get paid. He did that and is still getting screwed.
Not just players I'm better than, players that would make the same amount in the AHL. Only now I'm taking bus trips around the Midwest instead of flying on chartered planes and eating take out instead of having Hilton breakfasts.

Reactions: TLEH

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
If that's the players pov, I fear for their long term focus.

Do you want to work on your ability and develop in worthy competitions to earn eventual multiple more million dollar deals or earn several 10s of thousands more but seem ambitiousless

Reactions: WarriorofTime

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont

Do you want to work on your ability and develop in worthy competitions to earn eventual multiple more million dollar deals or earn several 10s of thousands more but seem ambitiousless
There’s 5 more NHL games left, he can definitely develop in those games too. He earned that 50k. Careers are short. He was playing well.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

They won't say anything because it's career suicide. The answer is yes. I want to make money and playing NHL minutes and existing is so much better for development than excelling as a good AHL defenseman.

Nobody is happy about taking a pay cut. Nobody. Especially so if it isn't merit based.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I said it about Reichel but fans want every contract signed moving forward to be team friendly. I'd be much less willing to sign a deal like that if I was short changed 40k when I was 21.

If you want to treat it like a business go ahead. The Blackhawks are holding the hammer. When a guy is headed into free agency the player is. Me personally? I'm getting my money back with a whole lotta interest.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
i could see being miffed because you had to take a paycut and go back down to the minors. as long as we’re speculating, i could easily see this as something they told him would happen. we’re gonna give you so-and-so amount of games in the show and then send you back down to rockford for playoff hockey. he’s still in that kind of position on the depth chart. doesn’t strike me as a big deal beyond the pure human element. that element isn’t nothing, but the dude also made more than the US median salary in signing bonuses alone this year, so i’m not exactly weeping for him.

Reactions: Space umpire

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I can't imagine Wyatt being upset or miffed whatsoever. This is the nature of the game at the beginning of their transition to the NHL. Getting to play some meaningful games in the A will be of great benefit for him and next year will progress another step or two at least.. All good.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
At this point I would say this should be end of Kaiser's AHL career going forward

There is no reason he should not be on Hawks roster to start next year and regular

No more Tinordi or Magna

Vlasic (Obviously), Korchinski and Kaiser have established themselves and should be locks on roster

If Hawks dont go out and acquire a quality defender in trade or FA, then one other kid should be regular on team next year (Whoever wins it between Phillips/Del Mastro or Allan) and a vet #7 (Zaitsev wouldn't be terrible in this role if he wants it on a 1 yr deal) for next year

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
“He’s been really good since he’s been back, skating out of trouble and making quick plays,” Richardson said. “A lot of times, he’ll draw someone to him, and even use the boards as an indirect [exit route] in the neutral zone. He’s kept himself out of quite a bit of trouble, so it’s really gone well for him.”

Kaiser will finish the season with seven points (all assists) in 32 NHL games, including three points in nine games during this most recent stint. His playing time increased to 18:58 per game during the second stint, and he ranks fourth on the team in five-on-five shot-attempt ratio since March 18 at 44.4% (behind only Nikita Zaitsev, Jason Dickinson and Connor Bedard).

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
At this point I would say this should be end of Kaiser's AHL career going forward

There is no reason he should not be on Hawks roster to start next year and regular

No more Tinordi or Magna

Vlasic (Obviously), Korchinski and Kaiser have established themselves and should be locks on roster

If Hawks dont go out and acquire a quality defender in trade or FA, then one other kid should be regular on team next year (Whoever wins it between Phillips/Del Mastro or Allan) and a vet #7 (Zaitsev wouldn't be terrible in this role if he wants it on a 1 yr deal) for next year
I am guessing they will just let Tinordi, Megna and Zaitsev as well walk.

I dunno if they will sign a veteran (they could go Zaitsev here, but if my math is right, he will walk away with more on a KHL deal than a vet min NHL deal). I would not trade Murphy so that they can have another veteran on the right-side to start the season.

Vlasic-Jones
Korchinski-Murphy
Phillips-Kaiser
Crevier

First callup: Del Mastro. You'd expect to see plenty of him, this most recent season the Hawks have had 10 defensemen appear in 23 or more games.

Now they could sign a veteran and push Phillips or Crevier down. Both are subject to waivers. Waiving Big Lou is not a major deal but he is huge, will only be 23, moves decently well and a natural righthanded shot... so if they are going to tank anyways they may just keep him around rather than expose to early season waivers. Then they can waive if he still sucks next season with less concern or risk of someone making a "ehh what the heck" kinda claim and him becoming something.

That 7 (8 with Del Mastro, 9 with Allan who would be 2nd callup) is an even younger D than this year but you are moving on from 2 former waiver claims and a player they paid you a 2nd to take on as a cap dump, so you can always find a new waiver claim during the season if you need one.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011

Didn't know Kaiser had this in his game?

IMG_3993.jpeg

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

Didn't know Kaiser had this in his game?

Well howdy bout that. That was good to see. He's been playing pretty frisky and more physical since he was just sent back down and it hasn't detracted from playing very good defensively and QB'ing the PP. Very nice.

I'm sure this will get scoffed at - but when everything is said and done a few years down the road - i think Kaiser has a real shot at being the best d-men prospect the Hawks have - despite him being only 6'0" / 180. That's not taking anything away from Vlassic who i think is a very good defensive d-man, nor is it taking anything away from Korchinski who I think will become a very good offensive d-man - but Kaiser will have both in his game.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Rockford announcers said yesterday that word out of Chicago is Kaiser was excited to go down and play playoff hockey. That should put to rest that he was mad about his pro-rata paychecks.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
KD gave him an opportunity to stick right out of college and he didnt so he shouldn't be upset with management about going down to play meaningful games and prove himself going into next year

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Rockford announcers said yesterday that word out of Chicago is Kaiser was excited to go down and play playoff hockey. That should put to rest that he was mad about his pro-rata paychecks.
I told my bosses I was excited to go to Minot, North Dakota to help train people in new equipment for a month a few years back.

I was not excited to go to Minot .

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Here is a transcript of the discussion the announcers were having, it starts during a stoppage with 17:08 in the third period. Italics is the color guy and non-italics is the play-by-play. Some good insight into his play and mindset. Note, this occurred before the impressive fight he had posted a few posts above.

"One thing about Kaiser, when Kaiser first got here, I didn't think he was as physical as he was now, and I think as he's gotten more comfortable, one of the things I was saying before, if you're not in the NHL, you need to add to your game. And he's one of our most physical players now. Shift in and shift out, he's not a huge guy. But he's playing hard, he's playing physical. They're giving other defensemen a chance in the NHL right now. He might not have got sent down because he wasn't playing well. But because they want to give the 'love' around a little bit and give everyone a feel and come back here and play for the playoffs."

"[mentions Del Mastro making his debut with the Blackhawks]... Kaiser with Rockford right now, Kaiser's played as much with Rockford as he has with the Blackhawks, just over 30 games each side. And hearing from some folks up in Chicago, the scuttlebutt was that he was excited to come down to Rockford. Obviously, he wants to be in the NHL."

"Yeah yeah, but he knows he's developing."

"But he was looking forward to the chance to play playoff games. Whereas the Blackhawks are certainly not going to."

"And if I'm an NHL GM, I'm marking that as a plus for the player, because there's players that say 'I don't want to go down' and I've said it before, these games.. you win an NHL Cup, you're gonna play 100 games, so you want guys that want to play as many playoff games as they can. You don't want when you're making your run guys that say 'Oh I'm tired now'. You want to get them used to the grind of playing the same team seven times in a row and I love that philosophy."

"You talk about Kaiser getting comfortable, and he certainly has, one thing I look at is the numbers, the stats, the goals, the points, the assists, to say, ok this guy's comfortable at this level. But you can also maybe look at the physicality, and see, ok, the hitting has picked up. He's finding his game, or he's at his game, and he has settled in."

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And not everyone does say that as a lie and not speak out if they disagree.

David Jiricek complained this year about being in the AHL not in the NHL. It doesn't harm his career anyway but had people talking when he complained Korchinski/Mintyukov were playing steadily in the NHL but not him. It shows a lack of situational awareness in scenarios being different. But it's better if you know your player has the drive to be better than where they are already

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Kaiser is looking better and better . Looking very much like a real good future top 4 D .

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Here is a transcript of the discussion the announcers were having, it starts during a stoppage with 17:08 in the third period. Italics is the color guy and non-italics is the play-by-play. Some good insight into his play and mindset. Note, this occurred before the impressive fight he had posted a few posts above.

"One thing about Kaiser, when Kaiser first got here, I didn't think he was as physical as he was now, and I think as he's gotten more comfortable, one of the things I was saying before, if you're not in the NHL, you need to add to your game. And he's one of our most physical players now. Shift in and shift out, he's not a huge guy. But he's playing hard, he's playing physical. They're giving other defensemen a chance in the NHL right now. He might not have got sent down because he wasn't playing well. But because they want to give the 'love' around a little bit and give everyone a feel and come back here and play for the playoffs."

"[mentions Del Mastro making his debut with the Blackhawks]... Kaiser with Rockford right now, Kaiser's played as much with Rockford as he has with the Blackhawks, just over 30 games each side. And hearing from some folks up in Chicago, the scuttlebutt was that he was excited to come down to Rockford. Obviously, he wants to be in the NHL."

"But he was looking forward to the chance to play playoff games. Whereas the Blackhawks are certainly not going to."

"And if I'm an NHL GM, I'm marking that as a plus for the player, because there's players that say 'I don't want to go down' and I've said it before, these games.. you win an NHL Cup, you're gonna play 100 games, so you want guys that want to play as many playoff games as they can. You don't want when you're making your run guys that say 'Oh I'm tired now'. You want to get them used to the grind of playing the same team seven times in a row and I love that philosophy."

"You talk about Kaiser getting comfortable, and he certainly has, one thing I look at is the numbers, the stats, the goals, the points, the assists, to say, ok this guy's comfortable at this level. But you can also maybe look at the physicality, and see, ok, the hitting has picked up. He's finding his game, or he's at his game, and he has settled in."

It shows that Kaiser is intelligent enough to play nice. The rest is media white noise to me.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad