www.todaysslapshot.com Devils draft preview

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So just checked out the mock and saw TSS had NJ picking Senyshyn with our first pick in the 2nd rnd. Interesting choice, scored goals at a decent rate, pretty light on assists, but it was his first season in the OHL(after a year in the CCHL). Fairly young for his draft year with March 30th b-day. Maybe a reach, but one could see that there is more potential there, I'm assuming he wasn't playing on the top lines, so he might very well have been going at it alone on the offensive end.

But more props to TSS for having a fairly in depth video "talk up" on Senyshyn. Never heard of this site b4, but was impressed by the write up on the Dev's and the video evalutaion of senyshyn.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
If someone told me that you could get a Scott Gomez like production today from our number 6 in Barzal I'd do it. Zacha's ceiling might be higher but I'm more inclined to go with the safe bet considering how light we are on young forwards.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
So just checked out the mock and saw TSS had NJ picking Senyshyn with our first pick in the 2nd rnd. Interesting choice, scored goals at a decent rate, pretty light on assists, but it was his first season in the OHL(after a year in the CCHL). Fairly young for his draft year with March 30th b-day. Maybe a reach, but one could see that there is more potential there, I'm assuming he wasn't playing on the top lines, so he might very well have been going at it alone on the offensive end.

But more props to TSS for having a fairly in depth video "talk up" on Senyshyn. Never heard of this site b4, but was impressed by the write up on the Dev's and the video evalutaion of senyshyn.

I really like Senyshyn, I'd prefer to get him at a lower pick but I'll take him .

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

TSS is just a couple years old, but we're building up fast. I have worked for several sites which basically hire any fan-boy in the hopes that sheer quantity of material will load them up with hits.

TSS pays all of their writers, and get stronger material as a result. Ian Gooding is straight up the best fantasy writer in the business and Chris Wassel is a huge Devils fan and an outstanding writer. Robert Nasso is a far superior prospect/draft expert than myself. Hopefully, you guys will come back to the site more often.

As for Senyshyn, I love this kid. He's raw, but improved all season long despite his relative youth/inexperience. His skating and hands are both top-notch tools. He's a few years away, but I think you're better off taking a chance on a guy with first-line upside than going with a guy like Fischer, who is a big body and a sure thing for a third-line role but lacks Senyshyn's skating and puck skills.

Ideally, I think the Devils should target Guryanov. He's not getting past Tampa at #28, but if he falls to #27 (Anaheim) I think the Devils could trade #36 and a prospect/mid-round pick and jump nine spots. I have Guryanov ranked as the #2 RW in this draft, ahead of Rantanen and Meier. The kid has, hands down, the best shot in the entire draft and his skating and stick handling are both plus-plus tools.

If that's not possible, I think the Devils should hang onto their two second rounders and swing for the proverbial fences with high-upside guys like Senyshyn and Korostelev.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Great article.

I am bit uneasy about the Draisaitl for Larsson trade suggestion. I really don't want to trade Larsson after his 2nd half of the season. I would however pull the trigger on a Severson for Draisaitl trade though. I think with the state of our current forwards at both NHL and prospect level, we need to take the plunge, knowing it might hurt if Severson turns out well. Draisaitl upside is very good and it is worth the risk.

And the Gelinas package for Grigorenko is a good hockey deal too.

You trade Larsson, we draft a top defensemen to replace him. I'm not against the idea.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
You trade Larsson, we draft a top defensemen to replace him. I'm not against the idea.

The problem is that historically, the rate at which top D prospects become elite NHL D's is significantly lower than the rate for forwards. Just look at all the D's drafted in the top 5 or 6 in the last 20 years, and think about how many actually became elite NHL D.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I will say that this write up has made me considerably more anxious for the draft and frighteningly optimistic.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I will say that this write up has made me considerably more anxious for the draft and frighteningly optimistic.

"frighteningly optimistic" -- that made me laugh out loud. Brilliant.

I will be covering the draft for TSS in Florida, and you guys can hit me up on Twitter while I'm down there: @StIves72 -- I'll be glad to give you the lowdown on anything I hear, or my analysis of the Devils (or any other team's) picks.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
"frighteningly optimistic" -- that made me laugh out loud. Brilliant.

I will be covering the draft for TSS in Florida, and you guys can hit me up on Twitter while I'm down there: @StIves72 -- I'll be glad to give you the lowdown on anything I hear, or my analysis of the Devils (or any other team's) picks.

Your pick to make and you're on the clock.

Who do you draft?

Roope Hintz or Anthony Beauviller?

And while we're at it, Korostelev or Dergachev?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Wow, that was incredibly well-written and thorough. And as for this:

The Devils are as organizationally thin on the right wing as any franchise has ever been thin on the right wing in the modern history of the NHL. At the time of the writing of this column, the RW at the top of their depth chart was Tootoo. We love Tootoo’s heart, but in hockey-skill terms, the best thing about his hands is that they often become fists. On their organizational depth chart, the top right wing is Connor Chatham, whose upside is to one day make it as Tootoo’s successor in a pugilistic, fourth-line role.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The one thing I don't like about this whole article is that you make it so painfully clear that Barzal is the best choice at #6, which means the Devils almost certainly will take someone else. :(

But that was a really fun read. Now to try and convince myself I don't need to go through your 29 other previews...

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Your pick to make and you're on the clock.

Who do you draft?

Roope Hintz or Anthony Beauviller?

And while we're at it, Korostelev or Dergachev?

I take Beauvillier over Hintz. I'm always on the lookout (when searching for draft sleepers) for the type of slightly undersized skill guys the Red Wings and Lightning seem to steal every year. Hints can become a very solid big body for an NHL third line, but Beauvillier could be the Ribeiro-type 65-point guy we wonder how we passed on.

Korostelev or Dergachev, ha. Good one. Korostelev wins with sheer talent, but Dergachev plays with more heart and grit. Also, Dergachev has an absolute bomb of a shot and is huge. But I would go with Korostelev due to the fact that he has legit first-line star upside. That being said, Dergachev's downside (so to speak) is a physical third-liner. Korostelev's downside is of a complete bust.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, that was incredibly well-written and thorough. And as for this:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

The one thing I don't like about this whole article is that you make it so painfully clear that Barzal is the best choice at #6, which means the Devils almost certainly will take someone else. :(

But that was a really fun read. Now to try and convince myself I don't need to go through your 29 other previews...

I'm only finished through San Jose (going in draft order). I think Colorado comes out today. So you have tons of time, my friend.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Connor Chatham's not REALLY the top organizational RW, it only seems that way. Maybe he's the top draft pick that plays RW which is sad enough though.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think looking at prospects current position is a bit misguided...you can almost bet that a good number of the prospects around the league listed as "centers" will become wingers.

Not trying to dismiss the fact that there is an organizational weakness on the right side but some of New Jersey's best wingers were drafted as centers like Parise, Elias and Sykora. So when I look at organizational depth chart and see 3 centers for every winger, I honestly just see forward prospects.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I think looking at prospects current position is a bit misguided...you can almost bet that a good number of the prospects around the league listed as "centers" will become wingers.

Not trying to dismiss the fact that there is an organizational weakness on the right side but some of New Jersey's best wingers were drafted as centers like Parise, Elias and Sykora. So when I look at organizational depth chart and see 3 centers for every winger, I honestly just see forward prospects.

This is true guys like Coleman, Quennneville, Blandsi, Garvus (If he comes over) and down the line a while Dudek are all listed as centers could very well become wingers. You could also see someone like Matteau become more of a RW then LW.

Not to mention who is added in this and next draft.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As a hockey journalist, I follow 30 NHL teams pretty closely.

But, if you must know, I went to high school in Bergen County so you can say I'm pretty familiar with the Devils.

Know what this sounds like to me? Rag's fan.:rant::rant:

This is true guys like Coleman, Quennneville, Blandsi, Garvus (If he comes over) and down the line a while Dudek are all listed as centers could very well become wingers. You could also see someone like Matteau become more of a RW then LW.

Not to mention who is added in this and next draft.
Well yeah, but the point is, we currently have no RW depth, and thus should target that in this, and possibly upcoming drafts.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011

This is pretty much the way I see it too. I'm pretty sure Lou had said once that he values centers because they can also play the wing. Maybe that's why we had so many defensive minded forwards in our brief history. Also explains why we haven't had a whole lot of wingers that can snipe through the draft as well. Double edged sword, perhaps?

Not everyone from there is a Rangers fan! Just a large chunk of them. And they make me sick.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Orange Lantern used to be a Devils fan bar, in Paramus Bergen County.

Less than 3 weeks away from the draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Well yeah, but the point is, we currently have no RW depth, and thus should target that in this, and possibly upcoming drafts.

Ha, I could be a Magnitogorsk KHL fan and the idea is that it would not change my journalistic acumen. Whether you enjoyed my column or did not should be, I hope, because you thought it was good or not good. There is no enemy -- we're all hockey fans. To me, if there's any bad guys, it's the dopes at ESPN who will bury the hockey highlights in order to tell us that Tim Tebow changed his socks or LeBron James ate pizza for lunch instead of his usual salad and what does it mean for the future of America as we know it?

Who did I want to win the Stanley Cup playoffs this year? The Calgary Flames were the team I most enjoyed watching, so much heart. The resiliency and high-end talent of the Blackhawks gives me chills -- Toews is like watching a prime-era Steve Yzerman, one of my all-time favorites. And what Yzerman has done in Tampa is truly inspiring.

I was told by a few sportswriting cohorts that my Devils preview was my most comprehensive so far. I of course attribute that to the fact that I live in Brooklyn and it's easy to follow them on TV and in the media. I was told that San Jose was my funniest, though. So maybe I'm a Sharks fan.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I really like Senyshyn, I'd prefer to get him at a lower pick but I'll take him .

Red Line Report just called Senyshyn their "sleeper of the draft" in a USA Today column this morning.

Kyle Woodlief: "Early in the season he [Senyshyn] showed plenty of individual tools, but was not yet the sum of his parts. He was brought along slowly on a powerhouse Greyhounds club, seeing only third-line duty and no power play duty... But in the season's second half he began putting it all together and forced the Greyhounds to increase his quality minutes, becoming a key contributor in their deep playoff run. His physicality down low creates extra space for his line mates, and nothing deters him from driving straight to the crease and causing havoc once he's there... Senyshyn is also a terrific skater with speed, first-step burst, balance and agility. By the time he hits the NHL in a couple of years, he's going to fill out into a beast."

Sounds like he would be precisely what the Devils need at #36, as I have been promoting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad