www.todaysslapshot.com Devils draft preview

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Barzal and Guryanov with our first two picks? Yes please. That would do wonders to our forward prospect pool.

On another note, no way should we trade for Draisaitl. I'd love to have him but he just won the Memorial Cup MVP award after winning the WHL Playoffs MVP award. He won't be coming cheap and I wouldn't want to part with whatever the cost may be for him.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I can see Barzal as the 6th best prospect in the draft but "not even close" is an unneeded distinction and probably not true with the likes of Provorov.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Watching that shift by shift video on Barzal, there is a play Barzal walks in towards the goal and has a clear shooting lane from about 5-10 feet out. He doesn't shoot, and instead goes past the net and tries to force a pass into a scrum right in front of the net.

The announcer laments that Seattle is over passing yet again. On this particular play they are speaking directly of Barzal.

Now he clearly is a pass first player, and seems to be pretty darn good at it. But Seattle is a team that lacks goal scoring. I find that to be a point of concern when evaluating Barzal.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
An opinion shared by 95% of the hockey world

Only guy I would take over Barzal is Strome/Marner but they will be gone. Other then that maybe Rantanen , no one else even enters the discussion (from forwards)

No one in the hockey world thinks he is "far and away better".

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the kind words, guys! I am optimistic about the Devils' future, I think they have an opportunity to add a couple of terrific offensive pieces in this draft and set themselves up for future success.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Great article.

I am bit uneasy about the Draisaitl for Larsson trade suggestion. I really don't want to trade Larsson after his 2nd half of the season. I would however pull the trigger on a Severson for Draisaitl trade though. I think with the state of our current forwards at both NHL and prospect level, we need to take the plunge, knowing it might hurt if Severson turns out well. Draisaitl upside is very good and it is worth the risk.

And the Gelinas package for Grigorenko is a good hockey deal too.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Great article.

I am bit uneasy about the Draisaitl for Larsson trade suggestion. I really don't want to trade Larsson after his 2nd half of the season. I would however pull the trigger on a Severson for Draisaitl trade though. I think with the state of our current forwards at both NHL and prospect level, we need to take the plunge, knowing it might hurt if Severson turns out well. Draisaitl upside is very good and it is worth the risk.

If we draft Provorov maybe we can spare a defenseman a little earlier but it's not like we are full of depth at the moment. A lot is still potential.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Great article.

I second this. Maybe Merrill in place of Severson and a pick if it can be got. The package for Grigorenko is fascinating.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I second this. Maybe Merrill in place of Severson and a pick if it can be got. The package for Grigorenko is fascinating.

Think of it like this: you're Buffalo. You have an elite future center trifecta of Eichel/Reinhart/Girgensons. Even if you move Zemgus to the wing (he is very good at both -- love that kid), you still don't have an open scoring line role which Grigorenko desperately needs to develop.

Basically, the kid is trade bait for the ancillary parts and/or franchise goaltender the Sabres need. I just think the Devils would be wise to jump on this kid before he is actively shopped in order to get the best possible value.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
A great draft week for me would be something along the lines of:

Trade back with Columbus: NJD 6OA to Columbus for 8OA and Rychel

Then either before the draft or during: NJD Gelinas + to Buffalo for Grigorenko.

Goal leave the first day of the draft with 1 of Barzal, Rantanen, or Zacha PLUS Rychel and Grigorenko

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Really good article.

I almost hate the fact that I'm reading up too much on this draft and getting excited about the prospect of taking Barzal (or Marner if he's gone), as I feel I'm going to be massively disappointed if/when the Devils trade the pick or take someone else like Crouse/Rantanen/Conner.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Agree 100%

Barzal is far and way the best prospect to be there at #6 and it isnt close

How is it not even close? Are you an expert or something? I haven't heard any scout say that, and in most drafts he is ranked lower than 6.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
How is it not even close? Are you an expert or something? I haven't heard any scout say that, and in most drafts he is ranked lower than 6.

Forward wise, I think Barzal is clearly the best option at #6 as well. And actually there are plenty (I do not mean majority) of scouts that have said Barzal could easily sneak into the top 5. Obviously I'm no expert but of the hours of tape I watched on Zacha and Barzal, I really don't see how those two specifically are close. It's 90% size bias in my eyes, which isn't nearly as important in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad