GDT: WWE TLC (22nd October 2017) - Putting the Angle back together

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
This match was only going to be crazy. It's a gimmick match and a handicap match to boot. You want a traditional wrestley wrestlington match...you'll get it at Survivor Series.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
i was more entertained with watching Denise Richards get mauled by a giant space bug
My phone has been messing up. Starship Troopers is amazing.

I meant to write Starship Troopers 2, which was awful but almost good in the so bad it's good way.

Reactions: FultonReed

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
My only argument is that most likely the match timing wasn't going to change. It's 5 on 2. What in the world would you expect in a 5 on 2. It's a numbers game. They are going to take their time and make it hell for Ambrose/Rollins. There is no way they could keep the speed of it up. That's the storytelling. It's a beatdown and it was going to be sweet/slow for the heels. That was the story being told.

And I feel like the story would have been similar, just a little more vicious, if Roman was in the match. Roman probably would have been carted off and came back to save the day.
There have been beat downs where the heels could keep it interesting.

Evolution vs. The Shield where Evolution destroyed Roman Reigns in the middle of the ring after taking out Rollins and Ambrose, for example. This one was just way too slow and plodding in the middle, plus a whole bunch of waiting around with the whole Kane/Strowman/garbage truck bullshit, too. The middle was the weirdest f***ing sequence I remember seeing in a wrestling match.

I stand by the thought that a 5-on-3 TLC match to begin with was horrible in theory and in execution.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i was entertained sure, but overall it was an overbooked insanity... i love wrestling,i dont care. will always watch.. but Angle dressed in the SHIELD gear and trying to murder Strauman again with a f***ing garbage truck outta nowhere. ha!
not a good match... fun, sure. but not something i personally enjoyed.

im also super salty cuz i wanted Angles intro with pyro and everthing.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
There have been beat downs where the heels could keep it interesting.

Evolution vs. The Shield where Evolution destroyed Roman Reigns in the middle of the ring after taking out Rollins and Ambrose, for example. This one was just way too slow and plodding in the middle, plus a whole bunch of waiting around with the whole Kane/Strowman/garbage truck bull****, too. The middle was the weirdest ****ing sequence I remember seeing in a wrestling match.

I stand by the thought that a 5-on-3 TLC match to begin with was horrible in theory and in execution.
Just to add on to this because it just popped up in my head, but I didn't feel any sympathy for Rollins and Ambrose during the onslaught. I remember feeling sympathy for Reigns, Ambrose and Rollins back at Payback in that match with Evolution where Evolution was isolating each member and picking them apart for 35 minutes. That was brutal.

In the middle of this match, I was thinking the following things:

- Okay, Angle any moment now.
- God, why are they presenting Kane like a star?
- This is really slow and boring, give me Angle. Hell, throw Joe out there if you must.
- Is this a Strowman face turn? What the f*** is happening?
- What the hell was the deal with the garbage truck in the first place?
- Is Angle actually not coming back?
- I might accept Roman to make a save at this point. Is Lesnar there? Joe? Hello?
- Is Strowman going to break out of that truck and kill all the heels?
- ayy there's my boy Kurt

point is the middle was way too slow and plodding with way too much shit going on for me to actually feel any sympathy for The Shield during the onslaught because at a certain point it just became comical. Trim that middle portion down 7-10 minutes and the match is much better. Like I said, beginning and end (all the parts involving Angle) were fun as hell, but the middle was way too slow. I get where the other side is coming from story wise with the numbers and whatnot, but the execution was way too poor.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
i was entertained sure, but overall it was an overbooked insanity... i love wrestling,i dont care. will always watch.. but Angle dressed in the SHIELD gear and trying to murder Strauman again with a ****ing garbage truck outta nowhere. ha!
not a good match... fun, sure. but not something i personally enjoyed.

im also super salty cuz i wanted Angles intro with pyro and everthing.

I think that was actually smart what they did with Angle. He was just kind of the placeholder for Roman, I think the match generally would've went the same direction - Roman gets hurt, gets carried out of the arena, the people are 'robbed' of their Shield reunion, and he makes his heroic return, does his moves, gets the pin, etc. That whole sequence would have been exactly the same if Roman was there.

They gave us enough of Angle for it to be a great moment, but they didn't give us the entire Kurt Angle Package. It wasn't all of his stuff, it wasn't all of his entrance (even though he had that return to the match), it wasn't his ring gear. They left you enough to still yearn for a Kurt Angle feud and match with whoever it's going to be.

Reactions: Disclose

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
and like the Shield destroyed them one by one at the begining of the match for what it felt so long... i didnt feel bad (symphaty) when they were getting destroyed. thats the point of the match being 5v3... anyways. cant dispute opinions on something like this, but this was long and weird... mostly funny.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here. I had two friends over to watch the show, and we thought the main event was great. It was a 5 on 3 TLC match. Did people expect it to be a technical classic? It's a gimmick match with a bunch of guys in it. It was a huge cluster**** and it was entertaining as hell.
It was exactly the match I expected it to be. Lived up to expectations perfectly.

The problem is that I have no interesting watching that kind of match at all, so it's a dud from me. Just the same with the Usos vs New Day match last time, I'd give that match a dud too. I really don't care for hit-people-with-things-matches, nothing about them excites me at all.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It was exactly the match I expected it to be. Lived up to expectations perfectly.

The problem is that I have no interesting watching that kind of match at all, so it's a dud from me. Just the same with the Usos vs New Day match last time, I'd give that match a dud too. I really don't care for hit-people-with-things-matches, nothing about them excites me at all.
see, I think there's a time and place for these types of matches. Usos/New Day was 5 months of feuding before reaching this point where they were killing each other in the Hell in a Cell. It fit and was the perfect culmination IMO.

This one? Forcing the stipulation cause of the PPV, imo. It was weird. I don't know. I still don't know what to make of it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
see, I think there's a time and place for these types of matches. Usos/New Day was 5 months of feuding before reaching this point where they were killing each other in the Hell in a Cell. It fit and was the perfect culmination IMO.

This one? Forcing the stipulation cause of the PPV, imo. It was weird. I don't know. I still don't know what to make of it.

It was a bad time to have this PPV because they had no feuds lined up for a PPV wrought with stipulations. With the way they do Survivor Series, it makes it hard coming out of that PPV, so they move it to before the PPV and don't have the feuds in line to do it.

Maybe don't f***ing do it.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here. I had two friends over to watch the show, and we thought the main event was great. It was a 5 on 3 TLC match. Did people expect it to be a technical classic? It's a gimmick match with a bunch of guys in it. It was a huge cluster**** and it was entertaining as hell.
Nope. But it was dumb. And even stupider that the faces managed to pull it out in a 30-ish minute match. It was basically 5 on 2 for 20 minutes. And you're telling me your last #1 contender, your last tag team champions, your IC champion, and an legend can't put away the Tag champs?

I had no issue with the spots or anything. The work was fine.

But this was like... Miz vs Cena a few years back when Miz and Riley beat the crap out of Cena for 25 minutes and Cena hits 2 moves and the STF to win.

Sorry but that's not entertaining to me. It's predictable and that's sad.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Nope. But it was dumb. And even stupider that the faces managed to pull it out in a 30-ish minute match. It was basically 5 on 2 for 20 minutes. And you're telling me your last #1 contender, your last tag team champions, your IC champion, and an legend can't put away the Tag champs?

I had no issue with the spots or anything. The work was fine.

But this was like... Miz vs Cena a few years back when Miz and Riley beat the crap out of Cena for 25 minutes and Cena hits 2 moves and the STF to win.

Sorry but that's not entertaining to me. It's predictable and that's sad.

the predictability was my problem. not sure why they couldn't change up the story line. add in a 4th guy or just have the faces lose

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I did hate that Asuka debut. I agree with the LAW when they said the match made Emma look strong for no reason and made Asuka just look like another woman wrestler instead of something special. She should be beating the shit out of women for a good while to set the tone in everyone's mind that she's special. That match against Emma made her look normal. That's my only down grade for the show.

CW tag match - great/fun.

Finn/AJ - loved it. With 3 days to tell a story, the guys did a great job putting on a match and giving us substance and not just wrestling. Extremely entertaining and I feel like it could lead somewhere down the road.

Main event - loved it. Sure it had some lulls, but sit back and take that in. It's enjoyable. If you really break down the spots, there were tons of nice spots w/ carnage all around. The beatdowns made sense in a 5 on 2 story. Angle's feel good moment was there. Miz trying to be a leader but ultimately losing Braun/Kane was great storytelling. Dean/Seth fighting til their last breath was awesome, even against awful odds. I'd much rather see that than Roman overcoming odds and superman punching the world.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Of course they could put away the "tag Champs" (which in itself kinda diminishes who Dean and Seth are) But did they try to? How many pin attempts were there?

They wanted to extend the beat down and it bit them in the ass.
Lol Dean and Seth should have been dead.

I never want to hear complaints about Super Cena or Super Reigns from anyone who enjoyed that main event. Because as much as I very much prefer Seth and Dean to most in the company... It's a joke.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I did hate that Asuka debut. I agree with the LAW when they said the match made Emma look strong for no reason and made Asuka just look like another woman wrestler instead of something special. She should be beating the **** out of women for a good while to set the tone in everyone's mind that she's special. That match against Emma made her look normal. That's my only down grade for the show.

CW tag match - great/fun.

Finn/AJ - loved it. With 3 days to tell a story, the guys did a great job putting on a match and giving us substance and not just wrestling. Extremely entertaining and I feel like it could lead somewhere down the road.

Main event - loved it. Sure it had some lulls, but sit back and take that in. It's enjoyable. If you really break down the spots, there were tons of nice spots w/ carnage all around. The beatdowns made sense in a 5 on 2 story. Angle's feel good moment was there. Miz trying to be a leader but ultimately losing Braun/Kane was great storytelling. Dean/Seth fighting til their last breath was awesome, even against awful odds. I'd much rather see that than Roman overcoming odds and superman punching the world.
It's okay if Seth and Dean overcome insurmountable odds because they're good workers but booo to Super Reigns! :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad