GDT: WWE TLC (22nd October 2017) - Putting the Angle back together

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm happy AJ vs Finn is taking place, but I really wish it wasn't under these circumstances. A match like that, IMO, needs to be built around Balor Club and how Finn/AJ could battle for control (even though it's called "Balor" Club in WWE lol) as the two leaders. It deserves a lengthy build. This is going to be a throwaway match IMO that won't go on very long.

I also don't expect Angle to do very much other than apply an ankle lock on someone, probably Miz.

Reactions: TNT87

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I think it's gonna be a headfake. Samoa Joe attacks Angle before the match or something, leads to Angle's real return at a future event.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Of anything you could have done, you choose Angle?

Should have called up Kassius Ohno to work with Seth and Dean

Or, I dunno, just put Finn in the match?
I would have liked that too.

Could have put a cruisweight match on the card with 20 minutes and show people why people originally loved the tournament. TJ Perkins vs. Gran Metalik.

Angle return and AJ vs Finn just seem like crazy things to blow on a nothing show that hundreds of thousands of people aren't even going to know about the change until it's too late.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
trhead title should be Tables, Ladders, Chairs and Meningitis.
I like my 'Putting the Angle back together' better. You have the double use of putting the storyline back together, and also putting the broken down wrestler back together. Along with playing off the original title of 'Putting the band back together'.

The 'stacking the odds virus' PPV plays into the illness a bit. But there are better options. I wanted to keep with the one word fixes mirroring the one for one card changes.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would have liked that too.

Could have put a cruisweight match on the card with 20 minutes and show people why people originally loved the tournament. TJ Perkins vs. Gran Metalik.

Angle return and AJ vs Finn just seem like crazy things to blow on a nothing show that hundreds of thousands of people aren't even going to know about the change until it's too late.
You replace stars with stars, not stars with a joke cruiserweight match that no one cares about. You want people to remain excited about a show, not make them feel even worse about a show that is really one match deep.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I think it's gonna be a headfake. Samoa Joe attacks Angle before the match or something, leads to Angle's real return at a future event.
I half expect this. I think I read Joe was cleared, so he could do something.

I kinda hope they do now, just so I can watch WWE dance around all the matches Joe and Angle had in TNA lol.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Like I said else where, you don't know what the plans are going forward to know if they can or can't do those things. Making those changes may not make sense with where the booking is heading.

And calling up Ohno isn't an option. They're replacing two starts with two different stars. While Ohno is one of the best in the world, he's a non-name guy in comparison so wouldn't have gotten a look. He's not even positioned as a top guy in NXT. McIntyre would be a better shout.

Most fans know that Ohno was originally supposed to be in The Shield. He’s also one of the top guys in NXT.

I’m not saying that should be the top option, but it’s certainly better than Angle. Though, maybe McIntyre is a better option.

Also, “we don’t know the future” doesn’t really apply here. The replacements have nothing to do with future booking. There was 0 plans for any of this.

Replacing Roman with Finn and giving other matches more time, or adding another match (say The Club vs another tag team or Jason Jordan vs someone) makes much more sense than having Angle.

Unless...

I actually can see this. Makes sense. Would WWE want Angle to work with someone as rough as Joe though?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I half expect this. I think I read Joe was cleared, so he could do something.

I kinda hope they do now, just so I can watch WWE dance around all the matches Joe and Angle had in TNA lol.

For the first time ever!!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But if Samoa Joe attacks Angle before the match, what the hell happens to the match? It becomes a 5 vs 2? There's no way Rollins/Ambrose should be able to win that match, let alone last long. It should be demolition by Braun/Sheamus/Cesaro/Kane/Miz.

There's no way Joe is going to join Rollins/Ambrose.

Reactions: Dont Hinder Jinder

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
So everyone got meningitis? Jesus Christ. This is a MUCH better card, but this is wild. What the f***.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
But if Samoa Joe attacks Angle before the match, what the hell happens to the match? It becomes a 5 vs 2? There's no way Rollins/Ambrose should be able to win that match, let alone last long. It should be demolition by Braun/Sheamus/Cesaro/Kane/Miz.

There's no way Joe is going to join Rollins/Ambrose.

Joe takes out Angle, Seth and Dean go it alone and then the music hits.....

.....and Kurt Angle’s son Jason Jordan hits the ring to make the save and win the match :sarcasm:

Reactions: Max Money

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
.....and Kurt Angle’s son Jason Jordan hits the ring to make the save and win the match :sarcasm:

122.gif

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
so yeah, obviously the guy Satin was referring to when he said the meningitis scare could affect the TLC main event was Roman Reigns. This is wild. I can't remember the last time the company had to scramble and change the card so drastically so close to the show. Off the top of my head, the only cases I remember was Big Show subbing in for Khali in the punjabi prison because of Khali's liver enzymes back in 2006 or 2007 and I think that one came day of.

Another one being where they had HHH compete three times in one night at No Mercy 2007 and Orton twice when Cena tore his pec the Monday before the PPV.

This PPV went from one of the weakest cards of 2017, imo, to being absolutely must-see with Angle making his return and Balor/Styles happening instead of Wyatt/Balor.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Also, “we don’t know the future” doesn’t really apply here. The replacements have nothing to do with future booking. There was 0 plans for any of this.

Replacing Roman with Finn and giving other matches more time, or adding another match (say The Club vs another tag team or Jason Jordan vs someone) makes much more sense than having Angle.

But if the plans are for a Bálor club vs Shield match to happen some time within this Shield reunion, then having Bálor be the replacement isn't an option. It's things like that which can make obvious replacements not an option.

While it's WWE, and their planing is completely whack most of the time, we are in the "set everyone up for the Rumble/Wrestlemania" part of the year. So there could be things they need to do which restricts easy options.

And you still need to add star power to the show to replace the missing ones, which you need to do when you have such a top heavy card.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yeah Cena tearing his pec is the last one I can remember screwing up the main event.

The Great American Bash in 2006 or 7 was littered with guys who got sick and high liver enzymes but it didn’t hit the main event I don’t believe.

This is wild.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
And this show has it doubly bad as it's hit the two biggest matches on a mostly one-match-show card. I don't think it's possible pick two guys and have a bigger impact.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I was hoping for a really good build for when Angle returned to the ring instead of this spur of the moment announcement.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This is crazy but the show got a whole lot more interesting.

Would much rather watch AJ vs Finn then Bray in the mix.

And of course Angle over Reigns is a no brainer. Anything that gets Reigns away from this forced down our throats face push.

But feeling the bait and switch with this one. I don't think Angle is going to wrestler. I know Joe is supposed to be a "heel" but why not put him with the Shield. He is Samoan too if Vince squints enough he might not even be able to tell the difference :).

Anyways the show just became 10 times more entertaining no matter what happens.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They should've just put Finn in the main event.

This will definitely be a better show, though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They should've just put Finn in the main event.

This will definitely be a better show, though.

Then you are down a match and insanely short on time.

Kimi is also right. You have to replace stars with stars or you severely short change the paying audience when attendance is already a mess.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
AJ vs Finn should be fantastic and can maybe be planting the seeds for their HOPEFUL rivalry over The Club.

Angle is either gonna get attacked before the match or not do much and Jason Jordan will come out, guaranteed.

I already didn't like Kane in this match now I really wish he wasn't so it would be Seth, Dean and Angle w/ Jordan vs Bar, Miz and Braun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad