GDT: WWE SMACKDOWN PRESENTS BACKLASH (Sept. 11, 2016) - Kingpin vs. Phenomenal

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The show is scheduled for three hours on the network plus a one-hour pre-show. :help:

This should be like those network specials like Roadblock where they were two hours.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm sure there will be some impromptu segments. Corbin will probably do something, I'm sure Crews will show up. Maybe Jordan will have a singles match. Soemone will cut a promo about something. There will be plenty of content.

The problem has historically been when they've tried to fill gaps on the fly-ish that they really turn into trainwreck segments. I'm sure there are some good ideas. Between guys like Crews, Corbin, Vaudevillains, Ascension, Breezango, Kane, and Erick Rowan available to do something, they can probably find two matches to go to. Do a Crews-Corbin match in the preshow. Do a spot in the middle somewhere that has Fandango call out Kane and then have Breeze show up to help beat him down or something. Either way, a three hour show with six matches before a preshow match is announced is going to see some lengthy matches. Which is probably the best thing for Smackdown to do because the stories aren't there yet and the wrestling should get them over...except for the Miz/Ziggler match because Miz matches are pretty bland.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The show is scheduled for three hours on the network plus a one-hour pre-show. :help:

This should be like those network specials like Roadblock where they were two hours.

It's too bad the timing of this. If AJ/Ambrose would've been at a blowoff point, this would've been an excellent opportunity to do an Iron Man match.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Man if I were in charge of the booking **** would be hitting the fan right now for the next month and a half.

Styles wins at Backlash after Gallows and Anderson interfere on his behalf

-Rematch is booked at No Mercy in a steel cage to prevent outside interference-
-The weeks go by and Styles and Ambrose beat the living hell out of each other and interfere in no less than one match each in separate weeks. A restraining order must be invoked by GM Bryan-
-Meanwhile at CoC Styles sabotages the reign of the New Day invoking a greater conspiracy amongst the WWE that must be dealt with-

Bray Wyatt beats Randy Orton at Backlash starting a MASSIVE push after this and eventually wins the WWE Championship at some point

-He slowly poisons Orton back into the sadist he used to be, almost torturing him like the Joker in the batman movies-
-Orton wins the take home match at No Mercy but is now a bonafide tweener who will kill anyone in sight-
-Wyatt wears snake inspired garb on and off for the rest of 2016 and brags about his "creation" in Randy Orton-

Becky Lynch wins Smackdown! Women's Championship last defeating Alexa Bliss

-The two begin a lengthy feud-
-Carmella vs Nikki continues-

The Usos win the Smackdown! tag team championships, crushing the dreams of Rhyno and Slater

-Slater continues his campaign to legitimize himself as a WWE star with Rhyno's sympathy and support-
-American Alpha plots their revenge-

Miz vs Ziggler ends when the two men beat each other so much that the match ends in a double KO

-This evokes a last man standing rematch on Smackdown! that Ziggler wins-

A trade is made for Cesaro after he wins the feud with Sheamus, setting up an eventual title shot against AJ Styles... and the Club apparently

Wanna get the ratings needle moving up? This is how you do it.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
^ Anderson & Gallows? Styles together again? Congrats... you've killed the brand split even quicker than the WWE has.

I mean, it was a bad idea from the start, but you can't go killing it after two months.

It's too bad the timing of this. If AJ/Ambrose would've been at a blowoff point, this would've been an excellent opportunity to do an Iron Man match.

That's what I was thinking. They seem committed to giving this three hours (god, I hope not) but they only have six matches on the card and Smackdown is razor thin on talent to fill a three-hour show. Unless they plan on giving Styles vs. Ambrose like... 40-60 minutes or something, and then Orton/Wyatt 25 or something, it's just going to be a whole bunch of filler with some wrestling sprinkled in. This would have been a fantastic 2-hour show, most likely.

- Usos vs. Hype Bros: 8-10 mins
- Miz vs. Ziggler: 10-12 mins
- Women's title: 14-16 mins
- Orton vs. Wyatt: 14-17 mins
- Usos vs. Slater/Rhyno: 8-10 mins
- Ambrose vs. Styles: 20-24 mins
- TOTAL: 1:12:00 - 1:29:00 of total in-ring time.

Small interviews segments, video packages, etc., and straight wrestling.

Instead, a lot of matches will either be too drawn out, or we're going to get a lot of filler and heat-less matches.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
^ Anderson & Gallows? Styles together again? Congrats... you've killed the brand split even quicker than the WWE has.

I mean, it was a bad idea from the start, but you can't go killing it after two months.

That's what I was thinking. They seem committed to giving this three hours (god, I hope not) but they only have six matches on the card and Smackdown is razor thin on talent to fill a three-hour show. Unless they plan on giving Styles vs. Ambrose like... 40-60 minutes or something, and then Orton/Wyatt 25 or something, it's just going to be a whole bunch of filler with some wrestling sprinkled in. This would have been a fantastic 2-hour show, most likely.

Instead, a lot of matches will either be too drawn out, or we're going to get a lot of filler and heat-less matches.

Bray and Reigns went 22 minutes at Battleground last year. Orton could probably go until the cows came home so I think you can get a good 20-25 minutes out of those two. But other than those two and AJ/Ambrose, good luck extending matches out. But I'm also expecting an impromptu match or some Kane chokeslam segment to go along with a purely made up match for the preshow.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Lol oh no. The brand split is strong as ever. It eventually reaches the point where WWE forbids them from ever joining forces again. This sets up Club vs WWE at Survivor Series and a few other names wanting in including Baron Corbin and a recently turned heel Neville. The support of Balor remains unknown.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
With Benjamin and ADR out and mostly the ADR thing, they need to bring someone in sooner rather than later. I'm hoping that the 7th match of the Sheamus/Cesaro series is also a loser leaves Raw gimmick and I hope Cesaro loses through heel tactics. That's the best of all worlds to me. One, there was never a determination of which title the winner gets a shot at so I can safely assume that by this time Reigns will have beaten Rusev for the US Title and Sheamus can go after that and lose. lol Cesaro goes to Smackdown which makes all the sense in the world. Cesaro gets a lot of sympathy losing that match through heel tactics after making a hell of a comeback being down 3-0. Sheamus gets some decent heat even though him chasing Reigns will kill it entirely but nobody really cares. Cesaro chases down Miz and takes the IC Title.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Either Cesaro or Zayn should go to Smackdown, plus Samoa Joe.

In fact, I'm not against Joe appearing at No Mercy and screwing Ambrose out of his rematch.

4thdoctor

Jan 28, 2014
Why would Joe interfere for Styles? I know they were in TNA together but are they friends in life? Do they have heat? Joe's character is built like he doesn't really care who he fights. I dunno. I think he needs his rematch with Nakamura first.

Let Styles and Ambrose go at it. Or let Ambrose be heelish like at SS and cost him his title.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Why would Joe interfere for Styles? I know they were in TNA together but are they friends in life? Do they have heat? Joe's character is built like he doesn't really care who he fights. I dunno. I think he needs his rematch with Nakamura first.

Let Styles and Ambrose go at it. Or let Ambrose be heelish like at SS and cost him his title.

Because Ambrose is the kingpin and Joe doesn't give a ****? Makes an impact right away. There doesn't need to be any implications from TNA, real life relationships or anything, it's starting a program right out of the gate to put Joe in a high-profile position.

Ambrose losing clean in back-to-back singles matches - while not the worst thing in the world - just won't fly in WWE world. It's not NJPW.

4thdoctor

Jan 28, 2014
I see Ambrose winning on Sunday, somehow. Could be wrong but I think they'll stick with Dean for one more month.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It could happen but I don't see it. Styles is the guy they want and have had big plans for since April.

4thdoctor

Jan 28, 2014
My oh so vague prediction is that by Survivor Series AJ will be champ. Reeaaalllly going on a limb out here, I know:sarcasm:, but WWE flips titles, usually too late/ too early. See Goldberg.

My hope is that this isn't just a set-up for Cena's sweet 16. Let AJ have the win and move on.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't cheer against Beauty and the Man Beast. I just want the Free Agent Heath Slater gimmick to continue. The tag titles on those two would be kind of lame to be honest. I like the pair but they shouldn't be the inaugural champs. I don't like the idea of putting the titles first on what is a joke tag team.

And I would like to see Smackdown start a weekly thing of putting either a specific title on the line each Tuesday or a cycle of it. Considering their state, I think featuring a championship match every week or pretty close to every week would be an excellent way to move the needle a bit and have something to promote from one week to the next.
I love UFA Slater too, but eventually he's gotta win something. He's been the joke since he was used a glorified jobber for legends leading up to Raw 1000. He's hot right now, perfect time for him and Rhyno to win the tag titles. The Usos took out Gable's knee, that storyline doesn't need tag titles really.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
While it's great and fun, the Slater FA angle blowoff has to be the tag titles. Any longer and you risk running it into the ground.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI

If they can make the PPV only 2 hours, great...but I can understand if it goes longer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I want to see it happen but I'm not sure where Slater goes. He's getting over in ways Sandow was, but there's limits to it, and neither way has much shelf life.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I want to see it happen but I'm not sure where Slater goes. He's getting over in ways Sandow was, but there's limits to it, and neither way has much shelf life.

Slater can easily be a mainstay in the tag division and still be entertaining as hell because he's just so good. He doesn't take himself too seriously. The FA thing can only go so far and we're at that point now.

This shouldn't be a three hour show. 2 hours with overrun would of been fine.

Hopefully that's what ends up happening.

Is this show even listed on pay-per-view or is this a Network exclusive?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad