GDT: WWE Royal Rumble (28th January 2018) - Double Value!

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I found it amusing that they got Naomi to take the role of Kofi in the women's rumble. Both spots were decent this year, albeit definitely not Kofi's most creative effort. Saved by pancakes? Meh. :laugh:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I have to believe the number of returning women's legends isn't going to be the trend if they keep doing that match. I hope they build up more NXT women to use in the match and just expand the women's rosters on both shows and don't lean on Trish or Lita or Michelle McCool or Beth Phoenix to save moments of the match.

So many of those past wrestlers have basically no connection with the current stars in the ring so it's the "how cool is that?" standoff moments that were fun. It's great that they have reverence for them but showcase the stars of today but mix in the fun cameos like they do with the men's match. I get with the first time that they give some of their past and recent stars a curtain call.

Overall, I think that was a solid debut for that event. I think that was a greater success than the Money in the Bank and Hell in a Cell matches they trotted out last year.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good on the WWE for doing the right thing last night in having Naka win the Rumble. As to the women, makes lots of sense to have their Rumble go on last. Makes it seems like more of a big deal than it already was.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
30 is going to be a big number to have for the Women's Rumble without constantly going back to the same returnees. Heck, they practically used every desirable surprise this year. Which is fine because it is the first one, but maybe drop to 20?

I dunno, would that like, take away from it more than struggling to fit 30 entrants?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I can't imagine the level of inferiority one must carry with them to (attempt to) belittle someone as accomplished as Ronda Rousey?!? In addition to her judo career culminating as the first American female medalist ever in the sport (let that sink in for a second), she was the pioneer for women in MMA. Now that she's gone, the interest in the women's division there (from a casual fan perspective) is significantly lowered. And beyond all of that, she's a lifetime wrestling fan who dedicated her match to Piper the day after he passed away. But what has she done for you lately? **** off already and keep women and self-esteem issues between you and your therapist.

And as for Asuka, she can handle herself just fine, as displayed with her nice diss of Rousey in ring. Her moment wasn't "stolen". Having a carbon copy of Nakamura's post-Rumble victory would have been boring anyway. This wasn't about even about Asuka. It was about women and WWE making a(nother) huge investment in their division going forward. Try to see the bigger picture here.

100% agree. Why everyone has their panties in a bunch over Rousey I don't get. Big stars get big things for them. And there have been so many MMA athletes that have crossed over into wrestling its hard to keep count.

Its yet to be seen how good Rousey is. But she has committed full time. Right now she is the most legitimate female in the WWE. Don't care that she got knocked out by Holmes and Nunes. Don't forget her run of dominance until then. Tyson got knocked out hard yet still carried his moniker of baddest man on the planet for many years. Legitimatly Rousey could kick any one of the womens butts in a shot, probably more than half the women couldn't even win a real fight. Sasha, Bayle, Brie, Nikki, Alica Fox you think any of them could actually fight?

If Rousey flops so be it, but right now this is probably the biggest thing to happen to womens wrestling ever. It would have been pretty bad to put Rousey in the rumble and have her win it. The smart move was to give it Asuka. If Rousey flops and sucks so be it. But there is also a very good chance that we Rousey vs Flair/Asuka/Bliss as an actual Main even to Wrestlmania.

And final thing props to the women for main eventing the Rumble. First time ever and they 100% deliverd

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
30 is going to be a big number to have for the Women's Rumble without constantly going back to the same returnees. Heck, they practically used every desirable surprise this year. Which is fine because it is the first one, but maybe drop to 20?

I dunno, would that like, take away from it more than struggling to fit 30 entrants?

Women on the roster they didn’t use.

Ronda, Bazler, Foxy, Nikki Cross, Peyton Royce, Billie Kay, Candice Lerae.

So that is 8 right there and I imagine they will be expanding the roster more in the next year so they can definitely do it without Legends as long as they are ok with sending all of NXT into the match.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Women on the roster they didn’t use.

Ronda, Bazler, Foxy, Nikki Cross, Peyton Royce, Billie Kay, Candice Lerae.

So that is 8 right there and I imagine they will be expanding the roster more in the next year so they can definitely do it without Legends as long as they are ok with sending all of NXT into the match.

Didn't realize that they didn't use Foxy; Makes me feel kinda bad for her. Especially with the waste of a spot for Vickie Guerrero. I was hoping for Nikki Cross since we didn't get to hear the Sanity music at NXT (her remix version really grew on me).

I had a couple old college buddies over for Rumble and they don't watch with much regularity. One asked whether Stacy Keibler might be a surprise and she had completely fallen off the radar for me. That might be a fun surprise one down the road if she was interested.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Didn't realize that they didn't use Foxy; Makes me feel kinda bad for her. Especially with the waste of a spot for Vickie Guerrero. I was hoping for Nikki Cross since we didn't get to hear the Sanity music at NXT (her remix version really grew on me).

I had a couple old college buddies over for Rumble and they don't watch with much regularity. One asked whether Stacy Keibler might be a surprise and she had completely fallen off the radar for me. That might be a fun surprise one down the road if she was interested.

Foxy was pulled due to injury. Unfortunate for her.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
They can still have other "legends" return from the women's division for the next rumble. Stacy Keibler, Candice Michelle, Maria Kanellis, Melina (this one is probably doubtful), Layla, Ashley Massaro (another doubtful one), Eve, EVA MARIE LOL, etc. The next rumble won't need a bunch of NXT women. When you start getting into years 3 and 4 and past, though, it might get a little thin.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Lack of Cross was probably the biggest disappointment of the Women's Rumble for myself. While they definitely used one too many legends, Vickie was great comic relief. Let's be honest, Rumbles are long and, for the most part, repetitive. Having a brief comic relief or solo performance (Walk With Elias) can almost always elevate a Rumble in my opinion.

Reactions: tonyhawks77

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I liked the use of the legends in the women's match yesterday save for two things:

1) Trish/Mickie instead of Trish/Lita
2) Michelle McCool making everyone say their prayers and eat their vitamins as she hulks up, brother. No idea why they made her look invincible.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was pleasantly surprised with the reaction that Trish/Mickie got. They can keep a Trish/Lita spot in their back pocket for a future Rumble.

I'm late to the party, but the Heath Slater spot(s) was great. Maybe next year there can be a 3MB reunion at the Rumble (with inevitable Slater elimination by McIntyre/Mahal).

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I liked the use of the legends in the women's match yesterday save for two things:

1) Trish/Mickie instead of Trish/Lita
2) Michelle McCool making everyone say their prayers and eat their vitamins as she hulks up, brother. No idea why they made her look invincible.

Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James is kind of a forgotten gem, so I was glad they did it. Stratus has had other on-screen interactions with Lita since retirement (RAW's 15th Anniversary and the Hall of Fame), but I don't know if Stratus and James have done anything since their Madison Square Garden match. Really glad she went back and forth with Natalya, because that was something both have been pushing for over the years.

I rewatched it again this morning; McCool wasn't that bad, right? She cleared out three wrestlers when she came in, but I didn't see it as too far out of place. She was a really big deal in 2010 - so much so that they lured Stratus out of retirement for a match. It would have been better with Layla there too though.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Not upset, just embarrassed for several posters on here. I regret if the tone of my post conveyed anything other than that. And I don't deny that multiple WM sign pointing was a questionable (at best) booking decision.
I just don't think they had anything else for her to do scripted and just winged it on the fly.

For anybody hating on Rousey, she got the biggest pop of the night. The girls an icon of pop culture. Chances are she just walked in the damn joint last second and Vince was in gorilla and told her "just go out there and point" and that was that.

And having just rewatched the rumble, even still now I have no clue why the two champs are sitting out there with nothing to do but sell that they're champs. Steph, who is a killer promo, basically ruins the running commentary.

New thoughts;

Balor gassed out his trunks is still better then Cena and Roman who, imo, are pretty good in the ring.

Way too many Roman close ups of him breathing heavy.

The Kelly Kelly "let's put the camera right there moment had me wondering if Vince lost his mind or was just curious of something.

The whole "let's get thrown out the ring, but find a unique way back in without touching the floor" gimmick is expired. Vince, you just can't pull that off every year.

Rey looked bad. He's very juiced for a guy his size and it's looking very, very disturbing. The double 619 was great tho.

Putting Roman on the "new school" side was a bad move. You had 3v3, Cena should have sat down and watched because he was above them and had a 3v2, manufactured stars vs two great workers.

Trish is getting up there and shouldn't be taking those bumps any more.

Kelly Kelly and Torrie Wilson are perfect specimens of women

Somebody trolled Michelle McCool with Nias rumble script. Seriously, why did a one and done look like a monster?

Rumble losers who came out hot we're of course Banks and Balor.

Putting Bayley out right before Trish was yet again another case of WWE ruining Bayley. Yay, here comes the hugger... Wait, it's Trish!!!! Bravo

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i mean she got the blessing from piper to use his nickname in ufc. they were good friends (im guesing more of fan of each other), soo kinda makes sense.
i think its okay to keep her far from the mma gimmick, since obviously everybody is laughing at how she cant fight anymore for real.

alittle too piper for my liking, but i dont hate the idea.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Really happy Sarah Logan had a good showing. Almost 17 minutes in the Rumble, I thought she was gonna be thrown out immediately. Sarah Logan is hot as hell and a complete ace in the ring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad