GDT: WWE NXT TakeOver: Orlando - April 1st, 2017

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
I get the whole putting them on the same level
But when they're basically the same belt, it's boring and just seems lazy

But at the same time its easily recognizable. You know what a WWE title looks like now. World, Universal, Tag, Womens. They're all pretty much the same save for a different colour.

You watch UFC, you know what the title looks like. Whatever the division.

NXT is now the same. You see that title, you know what it is and what it stands for. I think it's smart. It's helping make the brand even more instantly recognizable.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't like this thus far.
Nakamura is a guy that meshes will with guys of his talent.

Bobby Roode is the epitome of solid worker, but not great.

I love Roode - he's a good worker, smart worker, works hard, has consistently good matches, and he's a good promo. But his ring work is hard to "carry." It's more of an it is what it is.

He's a solid **1/2-***3/4 worker who rarely leaves that mold.

But you're usually into his matches anyway because he makes you care beforehand.

PS. I like this match. But it's about what I expected.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

I love Roode - he's a good worker, smart worker, works hard, has consistently good matches, and he's a good promo. But his ring work is hard to "carry." It's more of an it is what it is.

But you're usually into his matches anyway because he makes you care beforehand.

Roode is kinda old school in that way.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

That's probably what it is. I did notice that about Roode but everyone here seems to love him so I don't even bother bringing it up. It also doesn't help that Nakamura seems to be holding back A LOT with the exception of his debut match vs. Sami and "saving himself" and his best matches for the main roster.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Roode is kinda old school in that way.
He's very old school and I like it!

The problem with being old school is that it depends on if your opponent is willing to play that game.

Drew Galloway is another guy who feels a lot like Bobby Roode to me. Although I've heard he's extended himself quite a bit over the past year and I haven't had time to watch a lot of him.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roode's style is what will keep him in the ring for another decade.
That's the difference between Nakamura and Roode.

Roode does a lot of stuff, but it's all 'easy'. Nothing dangerous or spectacular, but all good. He works like this every show he does, and it's always good.

Nakamura can do a lot more, and have far better matches (see his big NJPW ones). But he can't do them often. So in the mean time he gets by by doing as little as possible. And it works as he's insanely over and it doesn't take much to send the fans home happy.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Roode is smart though and has good psychology and story telling ability which is why it works.

You can't work old school grapples without a plot.

The modern audience is so conditioned to spotfests that they get bored when you try to work a match in the traditional way. Ring psychology is a bit of a lost art.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Remember when it was like "maybe Nakamura doesn't sell"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad