WTF going on in Windsor

Does Windsor have a chance of being the next Flint?

• Total voters

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Given how many people emailed him, I'd imagine he's more keeping them for reference. It's tough to respond to everyone in a generic sense; could lean to more people asking more questions and that doesn't strike me as something he'd want to get involved with right now.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...when the Centennials were sold there was a DEC. deadline or governors vote I assume...then announcement came in Jan...maybe there is also a June deadline....not sure.I am only an expert on the drafting success....

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
There's no such thing as a hard deadline. It depends how deep the new owner's pockets are. When Andlauer took over Hamilton it happened overnight almost.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Sudbury had the same issue. Flint had this issue. Sarnia is owned by Hatcher. His kid plays their. Hunter's own the Knights. There kids and relatives played there. Not sure of others. Rich people buy teams to put there kids on.

Then they give them jobs when their ohl days are over.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Looks like a writing/media campaign worked - League wan't no part of this type of publicity and Windsor is now searching for someone else to buy the team. Stay tuned.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Looks like a writing/media campaign worked - League wan't no part of this type of publicity and Windsor is now searching for someone else to buy the team. Stay tuned.

It is just a normal quiet summer in Windsor. Pretty much status quo the last few years.
Nothing more to read into it

Reactions: OMG67

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
Until the sale of the team was completed, why would the current ownership allow this guy to dictate the draft? Something smells. I’ve heard the deal is now dead. The future of the club, draft picks, coaching staff are up in the air. The Windsor fans will never fully support this team until they are more transparent

Reactions: Sec108

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The issue with transparency is there's only so much that can be done and, frankly, the team did alright in that regard. If there's a NDA, neither side is supposed to say anything. This whole thing started cause of a leak; local media caught wind and had to ask (it's kind of their job), which lead to national media doing their thing, and so on. At least the Spitfires didn't deny anything. That would have become a giant cluster. Frankly, if the prospective new buyer didn't say anything, the storm doesn't happen. It's anyone's guess as to what happens now but at least it's looking better.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

It has very little to do with writing and media campaigns. It has more to do with well the business end of things.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
It has very little to do with writing and media campaigns. It has more to do with well the business end of things.
Without the e-mails, twitter comments and media snooping around nobody would have batted an eye. Social media is something that everyone pays attention to. If not why would anyone bother to post here or why do others read comments here. The OHL has to maintain an image, too many other leagues out there fighting for the recruitment of players. Sure it is not the only reason but it is definitely part of the reason.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If social media and media as a whole said nothing, nobody talks about it and the optics aren't even considered. Once word gets out, it spreads, opinions start to form, questions get asked, and the league has to look at it. This lead to the business side going "hmmm" and now we'll see what transpires from it.

Reactions: ohloutsider

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Without the e-mails, twitter comments and media snooping around nobody would have batted an eye. Social media is something that everyone pays attention to. If not why would anyone bother to post here or why do others read comments here. The OHL has to maintain an image, too many other leagues out there fighting for the recruitment of players. Sure it is not the only reason but it is definitely part of the reason.

Perhaps a big drop in season ticket renewals is another reason?
The OHL & it's club members like money. I think they would sell their image if a company would pay them enough to do it.... errrr Mastercard lol

Reactions: Sec108

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Disagree entirely. Once his name got out the information was available all on the WWW. Social media is something people pay attention to but not necessarily highly paid people that have to keep their interests in mind. In other words who would be the people emailing individuals. A lot of Spitfire fans who have their own vested interests. I would rather agree with your last sentence and each person can choose who much to divide up the reasoning. The image thing is all relative what would happen if the ownership went through and they would end up being successful. It would be a case of those people emailing venting would look pretty stupid in the end.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The first real post about the ownership on Twitter was Apr 3. Nothing was said for two days, and likely a good time before that, too. It's unlikely that this situation just went poof out of thin air. From there, CTV picked it up. That was followed by other Windsor media, then national media, and it went from there. The media attention, combined with the people commenting/emailing, definitely gave the league something to think about. If you take away the media attention, you've got a few tweets that are looked at, but maybe not given that much attention. I'd also say that emails weren't fully Spitfires' fans; I know multiple fans from other teams who didn't want to see Flint 2.0. In fact, I was pretty surprised at who was emailing. Could this turn out to be fantastic with Parekh? Yes. I doubt anyone feels foolish or stupid for venting concerns. They're legit issues. Given the optics we've seen so far, it's difficult to believe that everything turning out positive is realistic. Fans want to see this team, and this league, be competitive. That means bringing in proper ownership and having the current ownership in place until that happens.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Disagree entirely. Once his name got out the information was available all on the WWW. Social media is something people pay attention to but not necessarily highly paid people that have to keep their interests in mind. In other words who would be the people emailing individuals. A lot of Spitfire fans who have their own vested interests. I would rather agree with your last sentence and each person can choose who much to divide up the reasoning. The image thing is all relative what would happen if the ownership went through and they would end up being successful. It would be a case of those people emailing venting would look pretty stupid in the end.
Disagree entirely - your comments show you are not aware how big business works - I worked in management position for years in a big corporation - everyday we were sent a "media report". The report was compiled by an independent company and with the use of software they monitored every media release across North America and if the name of your company came up in any format ( TV, Radio, Newspapers etc) the article was highlighted and included in the "media release". They also looked for the corporate name across blogs and web sites. If there was something negative in any of the releases the president of the company would email the most appropriate person to find out "what was going on". At the time "twitter" was not a thing so not sure how they deal with that now. The independent company was not the only one doing this and there was a very high demand for their services, hence many corporations are doing the same thing. Upper levels of companies are very concerned with their image and pay attention a lot more than people realize to their "social media image". To say members of a business that are not concerned about what the public thinks of there company is a company that will not be around for very long.

Anyway this has gone way off topic, you can respond if you wish but I will move on.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The first real post about the ownership on Twitter was Apr 3. Nothing was said for two days, and likely a good time before that, too. It's unlikely that this situation just went poof out of thin air. From there, CTV picked it up. That was followed by other Windsor media, then national media, and it went from there. The media attention, combined with the people commenting/emailing, definitely gave the league something to think about. If you take away the media attention, you've got a few tweets that are looked at, but maybe not given that much attention. I'd also say that emails weren't fully Spitfires' fans; I know multiple fans from other teams who didn't want to see Flint 2.0. In fact, I was pretty surprised at who was emailing. Could this turn out to be fantastic with Parekh? Yes. I doubt anyone feels foolish or stupid for venting concerns. They're legit issues. Given the optics we've seen so far, it's difficult to believe that everything turning out positive is realistic. Fans want to see this team, and this league, be competitive. That means bringing in proper ownership and having the current ownership in place until that happens.

Failing to meet financial obligations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad