WTF going on in Windsor

Does Windsor have a chance of being the next Flint?

• Total voters

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Looking for league wide fans input on current state of ownership and drafting of the Spitfires. This has the potential to become very ugly. Also it may not end up being as bad as we are making it out to be. It just hasn’t start off on the right foot so far.

member 71782

The start to all of this couldn't be much worse and will likely have ramifications for the first couple of seasons.

The question is though is this guy only interested in getting his kids a chance to play at this level or is he interested in more?

Unless an owner is on rough ground with their fan base any sale comes with some hesitation on the part of the fans when they're not expecting it to be a part of the future but at the same time when a new owner comes on board and this is the situation right from the start the optics alone definitely are alarming. Now if this new guy wants his kids to play together, at this level and for a championship then the timing is perfect to have all three kids on the ice four years from now making a serious run if he listens to those who know how to do it.

A couple of years of pain, hitting the reset button on this current rebuild so he can have his kids together for a championship or a new toy for his kids to continue playing with one chance to have them all on the same team at the same time just so he can see them play together?

Really that's what needs to be decided and it will be a while, if this sale goes through before we actually know.

Reactions: TheGremlin

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I’m just hoping the people who go to the camp this weekend are respectful towards the kids. I’m sure they didnt ask for this and they have done nothing wrong. Voice the displeasure towards the adults in this situation please.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I’m just hoping the people who go to the camp this weekend are respectful towards the kids. I’m sure they didnt ask for this and they have done nothing wrong. Voice the displeasure towards the adults in this situation please.
I'm hoping to go and ya not really going there for a dust up, just to observe and see what ALL the rookies look like.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I have taken more time to decide and want to change my vote to "yes" . This is a really bad look for the OHL and frankly the Flint situation has done enough damage no need for groundhog day. Maybe daddy Branch needs a job for BB for after Rolf takes the Firebirds back..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Clearly in the need more time to decide camp. Do they have a chance of being Flint? Sure but really it's far too early. I don't see how or why the sale wouldn't go through. After that you would have to see who's hired as GM/Coach etc..

Does it look bad right now? Yes it does. If the owner has a vision and hires the right people is it something he can recover from? Yes.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I voted “No”. Windsor has a much larger built-in fan base than Flint does. I think they can weather the storm.

Last edited:

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I voted “No”. Windsor has a much more larger built-in fan base than Flint does. I think they can weather the storm.

The possible new owner has 3 kids, 2 that have now been drafted by Windsor in the last week.

This is going to be way worse if BOTH current kids end up in uniform. Neither should have been drafted.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
The possible new owner has 3 kids, 2 that have now been drafted by Windsor in the last week.

This is going to be way worse if BOTH current kids end up in uniform. Neither should have been drafted.
I have also heard the kid they drafted last night in 3rd round is possibly a friend of his kids. Haven’t been able to confirm it yet tho

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Sudbury had the same issue. Flint had this issue. Sarnia is owned by Hatcher. His kid plays their. Hunter's own the Knights. There kids and relatives played there. Not sure of others. Rich people buy teams to put there kids on.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Sudbury had the same issue. Flint had this issue. Sarnia is owned by Hatcher. His kid plays their. Hunter's own the Knights. There kids and relatives played there. Not sure of others. Rich people buy teams to put there kids on.
Windsor has done that also. Its more of where his first kid was drafted. Most of these kids live up to where they are drafted it seems. For a unranked player getting chosen in 5th round is kinda ludacris. I’m in the wait and see what happens camp but if his kids come in and take spots from deserving players then i will have bigger issues.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Again....in all of those examples the owners already had control of the team. In this case strings are being pulled behind the scenes. Not to mention the kid taken Saturday was unranked and taken in the 5th round.

Reactions: OHLTG

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Wanting his kids to play in the ohl when it appears that they aren’t ready is illogical and will hinder their development.

OHLInsiders

Mar 9, 2014
I have also heard the kid they drafted last night in 3rd round is possibly a friend of his kids. Haven’t been able to confirm it yet tho

Can confirm this for you. Friends + Vitale is represented by Harkie Singh who is joining Parekh's management staff in Windsor.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
We won’t know until the roster is announced to start the regular season next year.

It is one thing drafting the players to have them being Spitfire property. It is completely another having them on the team undeservedly.

Look at the positive side. If none of the kids play a game for the Spits, it would be a really big example and I think he’d gain a tremendous amount of respect as an owner.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
We won’t know until the roster is announced to start the regular season next year.

It is one thing drafting the players to have them being Spitfire property. It is completely another having them on the team undeservedly.

Look at the positive side. If none of the kids play a game for the Spits, it would be a really big example and I think he’d gain a tremendous amount of respect as an owner.

Right now, he's gotta do a lot to gain that respect. You can't dig a hole, then expect an easy climb.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Right now, he's gotta do a lot to gain that respect. You can't dig a hole, then expect an easy climb.

Agreed. I think the point I am making is we are assuming there is going to be a Neilson situation. We don’t know that. Like I said, it is one thing to draft your kids and make them property of the franchise. It is completely another to actually force them onto the team. Also let’s remember, he doesn’t own the team yet. This could have simply been the current franchise doing what they felt was considerate in light of the pending purchase as a courtesy.

It probably is a Neilson situation but until it actually happens, I think we need to close our eyes and hope for the best.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Agreed. I think the point I am making is we are assuming there is going to be a Neilson situation. We don’t know that. Like I said, it is one thing to draft your kids and make them property of the franchise. It is completely another to actually force them onto the team. Also let’s remember, he doesn’t own the team yet. This could have simply been the current franchise doing what they felt was considerate in light of the pending purchase as a courtesy.

It probably is a Neilson situation but until it actually happens, I think we need to close our eyes and hope for the best.

I agree in general. It's not like Flint...yet. The issue that Windsor fans have is, because Flint is so fresh in the minds and was such a horrible situation, the fear is there. If the Spitfires had drafted the first Parekh son in a late round, say 12-15, nobody cares. We tie the connection and move on. If they draft the second Parekh son in the 3rd round of the U18, nobody cares. "Figured that was coming, but he's a later pick, no sweat."

Instead, we get this 5'9 113lb kid in the fifth round, which has been a notoriously good round for Windsor (Henault, Boka, to name a couple) over the last few drafts. Then, almost everyone that I saw expected Parekh #2 to be drafted fifth overall in U18...and presto, it happens like clockwork. Even Windsor media, who's normally VERY upbeat, was giving the "what just happened?" look. I told some people here... "when (name) looks pissed, you KNOW something is bad."

It's all the little things that have added up to a very messy, very poor-optic situation. Could this improve and we're fine? Of course. Right now, though, it's a very cautious, almost jumpy fan base and understandably so.

Reactions: rangersblues

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

I think this is the only way he will even get a shred of respect on this. Nothing that has happened so far has pointed to "playing fair" . I still have a portion of thought for the wait and see but I'm not going to sit on this either until its too late and we are up to our #@% in doo doo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad