Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
you know those bad contracts that GMs throw at players and everyone knows it's bad at the time and it turns out to be really bad?

this is one of those.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
you know those bad contracts that GMs throw at players and everyone knows it's bad at the time and it turns out to be really bad?

this is one of those.
Unless he carries on from last season; drives the first line, makes people cough up the puck for 92 and 8, scores 40-50 without having any PP time, makes everyone around him play better, stays totally in the heads of every opposition player, and only continues to get better and better. Then it doesn't look so bad all of a sudden.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Yeah......oh well doesn't matter won the Cup.

In all seriousness I'm actually not one of "those" fans, 99% of Capitals fans are really just happy that we have something nice. I just think it's hilarious that fans of teams that have completely incompetent GMs come in on a high horse about how terrible we should feel about a deal when we just watched Game 5 like 6-7 weeks ago.

Same as people who laugh at Chicago...oh no they are going through an inevitable downturn how terrible. Their fans have three memories that will last a lifetime and they are supposed to feel sad about Bryan Bickell? Really?
Lol. No one is asking you to feel bad about your team, or the players, or the contract. If you're happy with it, you're happy with it. You don't owe an internet message board justification.

The deal is questionable, though. Can he play up to it? Sure. Is he really on the upswing? Could very well be. That's a big risk, though. Lot of time and money if he's never more than a 35 point pest.

For me, it's a lot of money for a guy who still didn't do all that great this year production wise playing with star and superstar level players.

He reminds of Namestnikov. He's a third line talent, but you stick him with stars and of course he's going to produce more. Just the nature of it. Namestnikov got paid by NYR for riding with Kucherov and Stamkos this year. Wilson got paid while riding with Ovechkin, Kuznetsov and Backstrom.

I just think it's too much money for a guy that hasn't proven much of anything in 5 years besides that he can put up some points with stars.

But I'm just a dude and don't really matter.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
My favorite thing about this thread is that even the few reasonable Caps' fans in here who agree it was overpayment (incl term) still respond with an extra million a year isn't a big deal....

How can you say that in a cap league when you have significant $ already tied up in: Ovy, Kuze, Oshie, Niskanen, Carlson, and Orlov...most of which run through the 2021 season.

What crystal ball do you guys have to say $1 mil of overpayment (FOR SIX YEARS), isn't going to hurt you? I don't get it.

I expected him to get 4x4. I don't understand how Wilson was able to pull off extended term AND a much higher AAV than anyone expected.
I think because he's just 24 and the contract sees him through his prime to before he even starts to get old. It's not like he's 29 and you offer more term to get the price down, knowing they'll regress. It's a big ask to say 'here get paid this for all the best years of your career'. This is one of those situations where a 2 year bridge deal say would probably have been cheaper

Reactions: shtorm2005

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If I were a young player, I would want to hire Tom Wilson's agent.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Unless he carries on from last season; drives the first line, makes people cough up the puck for 92 and 8, scores 40-50 without having any PP time, makes everyone around him play better, stays totally in the heads of every opposition player, and only continues to get better and better. Then it doesn't look so bad all of a sudden.
Scores 40/50? Are you actually implying that he’s going to score 40/50 points at simply even strength? That would make him one of the better players in the league and you know what Tom Wilson isn’t? One of the better players in the league...

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
What if I told you there is no cap left? You have 1.4mil for all the other roster spots, so paying 3mil x2 bridge will require 4x700k contracts to clear the space.

I ll see your tears next summer, your team just got Chicagoed. Congratulations, when you understand what is the difference between 1.4 and 4.4mil "roster filler" players.

Say hello to Wilson version 1.0. Bryan Bickell at eliteprospects.com

What if I told you Vrana is not an RFA until next year?

What if I told Bickell could have easily been worth that contract if he didn't get MS?

What if I told you you're completely clueless?

But yeah, see my tears next summer after another cup run with the exact same roster minus our 4c. Something tells me I won't have to wait that long to see more Wild tears lol

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Scores 40/50? Are you actually implying that he’s going to score 40/50 points at simply even strength? That would make him one of the better players in the league and you know what Tom Wilson isn’t? One of the better players in the league...

Yeah that's such a massive jump from 34 ES/SH points, no way he could do it with a full year on the top line and another year of development under his belt.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Yup, totally. I mean I’m sure Wilson credibly asked for 7 and they split the difference.

He probably asked for a 1-2 year deal knowing they'd have no choice but to pay him 7 or lose him afterwards otherwise

Kuznetsov signing got a lot of shit here too and now it turns out he'd be an 8 figure player on the market

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Well he got 35 this year with no PP time so it's not beyond the realms. Not to mention playoffs es points

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
Well he got 35 this year with no PP time so it's not beyond the realms. Not to mention playoffs es points
It's not beyond the realms? That's his career high, he had 8 points in the last two months of the season and his previous high was 23. He doubled his goal total shooting 11.4% and even with that high value factored in, his career shooting percentage is 7.6. Are you suggesting that he's going to shoot 11% for the rest of his career? He basically just had his career year, playoffs included and he suckered the Caps for it, which in reality good for him because I'm always in favor of the player pulling one over on the multi-million dollar sports team and it's billionaire owner, but sucker them he did. Paying a player based on their career year and a hot playoffs is never a good move.

Also, why is giving him PP time an automatic indication that his point totals would go up? You're all aware that there are players who are bad on the PP right; and that's why they don't play it?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The thing that would annoy me most if I was a Caps fan about this is how this type of deal impacts them going forward. Any team that wins the Cup has to be smart with the cap so that they can continue to challenge, like what the Hawks did and like what we did and are still doing. This is about $1.17m too much to me. $4m would be fair but it is the type of deal that is big and long enough that can impact on your losing perhaps someone else who could be more of an impact as you can't afford their raise. Looking at next year, currently the Caps have $11m in space with 5 RFA's and 5 UFA's. Of course, some of those players like Orpik won't return. But the likes of Burakovsky and Vrana are up and they're going to be looking for extra. It will be interesting to see how the Caps manoeuvre with it.

Hawks shedded enough players to make up another cup finals team all on their own.

Caps bringing back everyone except their 4C, I'm pretty sure even the Pens had bigger turnaround.

There's absolutely no one even remotely capable of filling Wilson's role on the caps other than DSP and maybe Walker on a 4th line level. Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Vrana, Burakovsky, Oshie and even Connolly and Stephenson to an extent all provide overlapping skilled player type skillsets. We can lose one or even two of them (probably Connolly and Burakovsky in the coming years) and absorb it seamlessly, just like we did with Marcus Johansson this past year. Ovechkin and Oshie can (and do) hit but they're at an age where they cannot be primary hitters on a team anymore.

You'd have to pull your hair out for 13 years at the caps strategies failing and coming up short over and over to appreciate how important Tom Wilson is. Other fans know he hits, pretty much no one outside of caps fans knows how good he is at taking a hit while dishing off the puck at the last second, effectively leaving the other team down a forechecker and giving Ovechkin and Kuznetsov that much more space against a scrambling defensive unit. Just like that the caps have an effective breakout which they could never get before even with one man breakout machine Mike Green. Adds up to the difference between losing in the 2nd round and consecutively beating 3 teams everyone thought would take the caps in 5-6 games.

This goal right here is why Wilson is so important in a nutshell, he routinely plays like this, in addition to wearing down opposing units to the point where Tampa's super lauded D couldn't get off the ice fast enough during their shifts in games 6 and 7 and Vegas's packed their bags after game 2.

Reactions: shtorm2005

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Not only can you not tell me when he last played with Backstrom, you're asking if I watch him? This coming from a fan of another team to a fan of the actual team? Good one. I don't think he's even played with Backstrom on the PK, let alone a regular shift. You're thinking of Kuznetsov, or not thinking at all.

To the point of looking good with 1st liners, not only has he kept up with his speed, he forechecks harder (than Ovi) to get either of them the puck. Having a big guy coming at you full speed is scary even for grown experienced pros and caused plenty of failed clears and outlets. His deflection goals and big body in front of the net are nice too. Defensive zone outlets off the boards were smart and full effort. Anyone who watched the team in the playoffs can tell you this is all true. Anyone who hasn't actually watched still thinks he's 1 dimensional as you have shown by your generalization.

Plenty have said he's been the most effective RW the Caps have had in a very long time (Knuble anyone?). So if you can say anyone would look good playing with 1st liners, why was that job so hard to fill for all these years? Even when Backstrom was Ovi's center?
40.9BACKSTROM,NICKLAS - OVECHKIN,ALEX - WILSON,TOM
21.3KUZNETSOV,EVGENY - OVECHKIN,ALEX - WILSON,TOM
6.1KUZNETSOV,EVGENY - VRANA,JAKUB - WILSON,TOM
4.7ELLER,LARS - STEPHENSON,CHANDLER - WILSON,TOM
4.5ELLER,LARS - VRANA,JAKUB - WILSON,TOM
4.3CONNOLLY,BRETT - ELLER,LARS - WILSON,TOM
1.9BACKSTROM,NICKLAS - OSHIE,T.J. - WILSON,TOM
1.4BEAGLE,JAY - STEPHENSON,CHANDLER - WILSON,TOM
1.1BEAGLE,JAY - SMITH-PELLY,DEVANTE - WILSON,TOM
1.1BOYD,TRAVIS - OVECHKIN,ALEX - WILSON,TOM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
You sure you enjoy looking this silly? Some Caps fan you are HAHA

Once again, Ovechkin and Backstrom were Wilson's most common linemates (and thats at even strength). Now quit your lying and move on with your life

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Hawks shedded enough players to make up another cup finals team all on their own.

Caps bringing back everyone except their 4C, I'm pretty sure even the Pens had bigger turnaround.

There's absolutely no one even remotely capable of filling Wilson's role on the caps other than DSP and maybe Walker on a 4th line level. Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Vrana, Burakovsky, Oshie and even Connolly and Stephenson to an extent all provide overlapping skilled player type skillsets. We can lose one or even two of them (probably Connolly and Burakovsky in the coming years) and absorb it seamlessly, just like we did with Marcus Johansson this past year. Ovechkin and Oshie can (and do) hit but they're at an age where they cannot be primary hitters on a team anymore.

You'd have to pull your hair out for 13 years at the caps strategies failing and coming up short over and over to appreciate how important Tom Wilson is. Other fans know he hits, pretty much no one outside of caps fans knows how good he is at taking a hit while dishing off the puck at the last second, effectively leaving the other team down a forechecker and giving Ovechkin and Kuznetsov that much more space against a scrambling defensive unit. Just like that the caps have an effective breakout which they could never get before even with one man breakout machine Mike Green. Adds up to the difference between losing in the 2nd round and consecutively beating 3 teams everyone thought would take the caps in 5-6 games.

This goal right here is why Wilson is so important in a nutshell, he routinely plays like this, in addition to wearing down opposing units to the point where Tampa's super lauded D couldn't get off the ice fast enough during their shifts in games 6 and 7 and Vegas's packed their bags after game 2.

Lmao. Yeah. It was all Wilson. DSP was more important in the Tampa series than Wilson was. Get a grip my dude.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Lol Wilson had less ES points than Zach Hyman and Michael Ferland who both filled the same niche that Wilson did last season.

If either of those players got a 4x4 contract it would get universally panned on this website

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
What if I told you Vrana is not an RFA until next year?

Vrana RFA 2019 summer. You can't afford him, so that is an incoming trade. Not following your own teams contracts not very good start for discussions though... Just saying.

Also read the other 47 pages of this thread to check what the rest of the board thinks about your gm... :-D We ll see next summer in Vrana trade thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad