Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Tom Wilson (6 years, 5.17M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Chris Tierney had 17 goals 40 points last season with no PP time and played on the 3rd line all year and is a center which is more valuable than a winger, same age as Wilson and just signed for almost $3 million per year.

Lady Byng candidates need not apply thanks. Wilson is a game changer.

Reactions: shtorm2005

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Chris Tierney had 17 goals 40 points last season with no PP time and played on the 3rd line all year and is a center which is more valuable than a winger, same age as Wilson and just signed for almost $3 million per year.
He signed for two years. That's not even remotely comparable. Wilson is getting too much, but it's not nearly as bad of a contract as many here claim. A half million less and this thread would be a third as long.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
He signed for two years. That's not even remotely comparable. Wilson is getting too much, but it's not nearly as bad of a contract as many here claim. A half million less and this thread would be a third as long.
If it was half a million less I would be thrilled with this deal as it stands I am merely ok with it. I've seen countless post in this thread where it's claimed that he's overpaid by 2-3 mil lol.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
If his ice time goes up and he continues to improve, is it unreasonable to expect him to score 10-15 more points? Especially if he continues to play on the top line?

Oh ok. Sure. If he gets more ice time and PP time, yes, his numbers will increase. I was assuming all things being equal. My bad.

If that remains the case.. relatively same ice time, PK work, no PP ..I see no reason why he would go up 15 points. That's a LOT of improvement and I see no foundation for it.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I mean they basically brought back their entire Cup team for at least the next couple of years...

And how many people had this year's roster as Cup winners before the season? Despite winning the Cup, their chances this year were smaller than last year, and they're going to continue to shrink as the team gets older.

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
his most common linemates were Backstrom and Ovechkin

do YOU watch him, thats the question
Not only can you not tell me when he last played with Backstrom, you're asking if I watch him? This coming from a fan of another team to a fan of the actual team? Good one. I don't think he's even played with Backstrom on the PK, let alone a regular shift. You're thinking of Kuznetsov, or not thinking at all.

To the point of looking good with 1st liners, not only has he kept up with his speed, he forechecks harder (than Ovi) to get either of them the puck. Having a big guy coming at you full speed is scary even for grown experienced pros and caused plenty of failed clears and outlets. His deflection goals and big body in front of the net are nice too. Defensive zone outlets off the boards were smart and full effort. Anyone who watched the team in the playoffs can tell you this is all true. Anyone who hasn't actually watched still thinks he's 1 dimensional as you have shown by your generalization.

Plenty have said he's been the most effective RW the Caps have had in a very long time (Knuble anyone?). So if you can say anyone would look good playing with 1st liners, why was that job so hard to fill for all these years? Even when Backstrom was Ovi's center?

Last edited:

rh71

Nov 12, 2005
Long Island, NY
I didn't read all 45 pages of this thread, but it's obvious this contract took a long time to settle so it wasn't an easy $5.1 to give the guy. Obviously, the team felt it was worth the extra ~$1.1 to keep a player having much impact on others and is on an obvious upswing. While that doesn't leave a lot of cap space, the higher cap afforded all teams let them make this decision easier. It's like you get a free raise (the higher cap) and decide that new car is a little more affordable.

Easy to judge a contract is over payment as a fan (and these are discussion boards) but in the end you still get what you want. At least we did. And we're giving up what exactly? Willy is happy, were happy. Mgmt's job is to ice the best team possible. At a minimum, win for us as fans.

Reactions: third man in

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It does seem like an overpayment, but the Caps know the player, better than anyone...it just sets up a precedent for others, and guys like Simmonds, and Pacioretty are licking their chops for their next deals...

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
The thing that would annoy me most if I was a Caps fan about this is how this type of deal impacts them going forward. Any team that wins the Cup has to be smart with the cap so that they can continue to challenge, like what the Hawks did and like what we did and are still doing. This is about $1.17m too much to me. $4m would be fair but it is the type of deal that is big and long enough that can impact on your losing perhaps someone else who could be more of an impact as you can't afford their raise. Looking at next year, currently the Caps have $11m in space with 5 RFA's and 5 UFA's. Of course, some of those players like Orpik won't return. But the likes of Burakovsky and Vrana are up and they're going to be looking for extra. It will be interesting to see how the Caps manoeuvre with it.

Sherwood71

Jul 18, 2016
So, if the Caps signed Brett Connolly to a 4-year, $30 million extension, there would be this much reaction?

Nope. It's TW.

Uh, if you signed Brett Connolly to a 4 year, 7.5 million AAV contract, that would easily be worse (may even be one of the worst contracts in the league, if not the most), and there would be this much reaction or more. Connolly isn't as good as Wilson, and in your hypothetical, he is getting over 2 million more. Like, what? Excuse me?

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
It's probably a slight overpayment currently, but he's such an important player for us. GMBM said all along he wanted to get Tom Wilson tied up long term. He's had to pay for the extra term getting the player all through his prime. I'm a bit narked at the extra million maybe we've ponied up but I'm happy beyond belief that we've got Tom Wilson for the foreseeable. I couldn't cope seeing him in another teams colours.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I guess if you have that cap space pretty much any move you make that doesn't involve keeping what you consider your essential players together is riskier than spending extra money to keep your team relatively unchanged.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Wilson was drafted 16th overall. I don't supposed anybody here actually thinks that maybe the Capitals were stupid, rushed him to the NHL at 20 and didn't allow him to develop correctly. He basically never played in the AHL. He should have played 2 full years in the AHL before playing in the NHL. Gotten a ton more ice time. I actually see Wilson as a guy who might follow the path of Simmonds. Stand in front on the PP, get tips and rebounds. Score 25 goals a season. He played three more minutes a game this year compared to last. His offense as it should have, went up. If they can give him PP time his numbers should continue to rise.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Tom Wilson has never scored 40 points and is set to make 6.1 million dollars for the 2018-19 season and some of ya'll are calling it a slight over payment. A slight overpayment is him making 4.5 million in the 2019-20 season..

This is a bad contract.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
The thing that would annoy me most if I was a Caps fan about this is how this type of deal impacts them going forward. Any team that wins the Cup has to be smart with the cap so that they can continue to challenge, like what the Hawks did and like what we did and are still doing. This is about $1.17m too much to me. $4m would be fair but it is the type of deal that is big and long enough that can impact on your losing perhaps someone else who could be more of an impact as you can't afford their raise. Looking at next year, currently the Caps have $11m in space with 5 RFA's and 5 UFA's. Of course, some of those players like Orpik won't return. But the likes of Burakovsky and Vrana are up and they're going to be looking for extra. It will be interesting to see how the Caps manoeuvre with it.

It just annoys me because these types of overpayments only serve to severely inflate the market. I have a hard time believing that the caps couldn't have locked him up for the same terms at 1 million less per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad