Confirmed Trade: [WSH/SEA] Vitek Vanecek for 2023 2nd round pick

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
So, then no.

I believe this is their only draft and trade so that should tell us it was not a priority for them. Bit of a cop out to make these assumptions with the source being "his job is to know".

A smart GM would've basically put out a list of 2-4 players from each team. And asked the GM's if they're interested in these players.

For instance Dillon vs Vanecek. Then you get a bidding war over let's say Dillon. You know that there's 3 teams that want him, easy.

Reactions: ThePsychicSaw

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
A smart GM would've basically put out a list of 2-4 players from each team. And asked the GM's if they're interested in these players.

For instance Dillon vs Vanecek. Then you get a bidding war over let's say Dillon. You know that there's 3 teams that want him, easy.

And then if you can't sign Grubauer in FA you have Driedger, who knows what backup, and one extra 2nd round pick. It looks like they were more interested in getting D and G figured out, rather than maximizing an extra 2nd and losing some insurance in net. For all anyone knows he did ask around about Dillon, but we know for sure that he didn't close Grubauer in the ED advance window - the choice was made to take a G rather than a D (Which they already had a bunch of).

AllAlphas

Apr 29, 2013
This whole sequence of events surrounding VV is hilarious...and I've gotta say, I've enjoyed this past week of offseason hockey more than any other in recent memory!

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Seattle was interested in Dreidger before they were officially a franchise. They go and sign him to a 3 year contract, with the intention of being a no.1 starter.

And 4 days later he's a $3.5M backup.

I was going to wait and see what Francis was up to in UFA. Now I see it's just a complete mess.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-28_20-32-28.png
    upload_2021-7-28_20-32-28.png
    490.8 KB · Views: 26

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Does anyone really know if Chevy offered Francis two 2nd's if he took Dillon and flipped him to Winnipeg? Was Washington offering a 2nd to not take Vanecek and take someone else? Did Francis know he would be able to sign Grubauer? You can't say he messed up the ED when you don't know what was or wasn't offered to him by each team. Vanecek for a 2nd is good value no matter how you slice it.

Reactions: cleanfront

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Then take random UFA plug goalie from Philly, Chicago, or Columbus instead of taking random UFA F/D plug like he did. If he's going to throw away multiple picks anyway, then those are the ones he should use to fill out the requirements instead of getting one 2nd(Vanecek) instead of two 2nds(Dillon) in his more important picks.
This is assuming Francis knew he could sign Grubauer. That was probably as shocking to him as it was to most of us.

Francis drafted Vanecek because he needed a goalie. Vanecek was the best option.

And who would have thunk 31 year old Dillon on a 3x4 year deal would return more than the Caps originally paid for him. That was a shock too.

The market was nothing like what Vegas had to work with, Francis realized this and played it conservatively. He got out of the expansion draft without much cap-bloat, which was the first priority.

I think he played it right, but maybe could have gotten more from Buffalo for Vanecek than the Caps gave up.

Reactions: traparatus

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I was happy when Seattle didn’t take Jensen, that’s who they should have taken. They already had Driedger and VV wasn’t waiver eligible, anyone could have seen this coming, it just would have taken one goalie being available for less than they expected.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Just when you think Ron Francis says "I can be the worst GM in the league already".....

Along comes the Avs GM who says "Here, hold muh beer"

Wow, what a cluster by both teams.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The contrast of the work of GMGM vs Francis handling an expansion franchise. Nuts.
In 2017 McPhee drafted Schlemko, who was making 2.5 million and flipped him for a 5th.

If Francis had Drafted Schlemko making 2.5 million this week, he would have had to give up a 2nd round pick to dump him.

Comparing the environments (and results) of the two expansion drafts is nuts.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So essentially from the Cap's perspective: Seattle paid us a 2nd rounder to take Dillon (who we left exposed anyways)
This is a pretty horrible way to look at this surprisingly. It implies Seattle now has Dillon. And reflects the necessity on these boards for everyone to immediately pile-on a trade they view as bad.

Its extremely likely the Crease Calculus changed significantly for Seattle since lunchtime today. The signing of Grubauer effectively meant Seattle no longer needed Vanecek. May as well get something for him than not play him and have him blocked in the lineup. It’s really pretty simple. Could Francis have played this better? Sure. But acting like a bunch of armchair/morning after GMs have a clue is a bit over the top.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Ron Francis has completely misplayed a league wide draft bonanza.

Clearly he overplayed his leverage going into the expansion draft and is now selling off the assets he took for pennies on the dollar

Why is this bad? He didn’t know Grubs would be there, and now he has acquired a precious extra pick everyone wants to ride him so hard about not getting.

I believe the rumor is that he was offered two 2nds to not take Vanecek so he basically got less than half the return (because he would have also been able to select a different roster player from WSH)

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Is anyone in the media gonna call out Ron Francis and the SK? Wtf is going on? How did WSH make out better from the Expansion draft than SK? They were gonna lose Dillion for nothing, but managed to get a 2nd round pick because Francis is incompetent.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
It's almost like Francis pissed off all the GMs with his asking price to protect players, and they refused to do trades with him. He probably wanted 3 1st round picks for Dillion. He wanted a 1st from the Leafs just for us to protect Kerfoot, guy is a moron.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad