Confirmed Trade: [WSH/OTT] Connor Brown for 2024 2nd round pick

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I get this is probably part 1 of a domino in a move for a top 4 D, but Connor Brown is CLEARLY worth a 1st. Pretty underwhelming return here.

It's for a single year of Connor brown who is a top "9" forward...read 3rd liner.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
It's for a single year of Connor brown who is a top "9" forward...read 3rd liner.

He's the kind of player you can play in your top six and have success with if you have some high end forwards on his line. For example, Nick Paul, a player a tier below Brown, played top six minutes for a cup finalist in the playoffs.

I think he gets a first at the deadline when a team is adding without having to subtract from their roster (aka no cap opportunity cost) from a contender and after the team has had time to evaluate their roster. Right now that 3.6 cap could go towards signing a better player in FA AND you could have traded for Brown at the deadline. Now you just have Brown and can't get that other player.

Compounded by the fact that the Sens need the cap space so their are no complications if we are trying to add a defenseman, this price makes sense for a deal at the start of free agency.

Reactions: h2

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
We need draft capital, we got some good prospects in the AHL who could net some good icetime if we get injuries, and Brown at 3.5m on the third line(or lower if he doesn't find chemistry) is wasted money. Hoping to see a full season of Forms-Pinto-Joseph on the third line.

Yeah but if the Sens are trying to compete over the next season for the playoffs. Wouldn't it make more sense to play Brown till the Trade Deadline and see if Ottawa isn't in a playoff position then trade him?

It's just a 2nd round pick. I'd understand the trade if he returned a 1st and Ottawa felt he wasn't going to get better value later.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Sens have made a lot of good moves this off season, this is not one of them.

Why do this now? lets say you aren't quite a playoff team and you have to sell for 1 more year you can get more for Brown at the deadline than a single 2nd.

But if you are a team that is looking to take a big step and Ottawa clearly is looking to take that step then you are better with Conor Brown.

I just don't get this.

Reactions: bert

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I feel like this was a under the radar move this off-season.
Real nice move for Washington.
Considering he would cost at least this at the deadline and the caps get him for the whole season, I agree.

In some weird world the caps miss the playoffs, they can deal him and recoup that 2nd and maybe more

Reactions: LeProspector

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Hasn't even played 1 game for Washington yet.
Just seeing that this thread only has 5 pages tells me it was rather under the radar.

It’s a move that might have been forgotten about because of when it happened.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Just seeing that this thread only has 5 pages tells me it was rather under the radar.

Maybe he crap the bed in Washington and it ends up being a bad move.

Sergei Samsonov to Montreal was seen as a good move when it happened.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
But if you are a team that is looking to take a big step and Ottawa clearly is looking to take that step then you are better with Conor Brown.

I just don't get this.

Presumably they ran out of spots in the top 9 and Brown (3.6 mil cap hit, 4 mil salary) would be an expensive piece. Not every team has the luxury to spend to the cap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still don't understand how the Capitals got Brown for just a 2nd rounder. Sure, he's not as good as his stat line in Ottawa suggests, but he's still an extremely solid middle-6 winger that plays in all situations.

I would have expected Brown as a rental to bring back at least 2 2nds, so to see Washington get a full year of him for only 1 2nd is weird.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I feel like this was a under the radar move this off-season.
Real nice move for Washington.

I still don't understand how the Capitals got Brown for just a 2nd rounder. Sure, he's not as good as his stat line in Ottawa suggests, but he's still an extremely solid middle-6 winger that plays in all situations.

I would have expected Brown as a rental to bring back at least 2 2nds, so to see Washington get a full year of him for only 1 2nd is weird.
It’s really a great return considering the market.

People wanted the Isles to give up assets for Bailey, Beau.

Seattle got an easy return for Bjorkstrand, Patches went to Carolina for free. Hard summer for trading for a middle six winger with nothing coming back or no retention.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
?

Neither has any other trade acquisition or signing for any other team. Does that prevent us from labeling what moves are good or bad?

No, I just thought the sudden enthusiasm 2 months later was weird.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
The Sens have made a lot of good moves this off season, this is not one of them.

Why do this now? lets say you aren't quite a playoff team and you have to sell for 1 more year you can get more for Brown at the deadline than a single 2nd.

I just don't get this.

Tkachuk Norris Batherson
DeBrincat Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Pinto Joseph

That’s how. Whose place does he take? You aren’t going to play Joseph on the 4th line at after you sign him to a multi year deal 2.9/yr deal and trade Nick Paul for him, nor are you signing Connor Brown for 5 million/yr longterm contract after this year to play on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Altimus

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

So you bumped it up to get more people talking about it? lol. Let him play a game first before we go talking about what a great move it was.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
So you bumped it up to get more people talking about it? lol. Let him play a game first before we go talking about what a great move it was.
No, I just thought the sudden enthusiasm 2 months later was weird.
So posts like the ones you're marking are valuable, but ones discussing the transaction in the transaction discussion thread are not? Talk about low-effort posting.
I don't get it. Can some Sens fan explain why?
Why trade of him, or why the hype? If the former, see @Wondercarrot's post (+ the fact that, recent actions notwithstanding, there is still a budget in Ottawa). If the latter, well, he's an extremely reliable player with an absolutely unrelenting motor and some sneaky offensive skills - as in, if he could shoot the puck, or even if he was a bit bigger or faster, he could be a really good every-day top 6 player.

I think every Sens fan would have loved to keep him but, well, it's not our money. The loosening of the purse-strings has been awesome, but it can only go so far.

Last edited:

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I don't get it. Can some Sens fan explain why?
With the debrincat and giroux acquisitions, brown was the odd man out. Sens don't have cap space to resign him and have cheap ELC guys like greig coming to take his spot.

Brown was a good player. Hard forechecker and quick on his feet. His hands are what prevents him from being a legit top 6 guy but he can fill in when injuries occur.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So posts like the ones you're marking are valuable, but ones discussing the transaction in the transaction discussion thread are not? Talk about low-effort posting.

Why trade of him, or why the hype? If the former, see @Wondercarrot's post (+ the fact that, recent actions notwithstanding, there is still a budget in Ottawa). If the latter, well, he's an extremely reliable player with an absolutely unrelenting motor and some sneaky offensive skills - as in, if he could shoot the puck, or even if he was a bit bigger or faster, he could be a really good every-day top 6 player.

I think every Sens fan would have loved to keep him but, well, it's not our money. The loosening of the purse-strings has been awesome, but it can only go so far.
The former.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
Considering he would cost at least this at the deadline and the caps get him for the whole season, I agree.

In some weird world the caps miss the playoffs, they can deal him and recoup that 2nd and maybe more
Cap is at a premium now vs at the deadline, so you can argue that he is not as valuable now as he would be at the deadline.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Same reason why DeBrincat, Fiala, Pacioretty, Bjorkstrand, Burns and Marino went for less than expected.

Was a major buyer's market this summer with cap space in such short supply.

Sens obviously should have dealt him last deadline.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Tkachuk Norris Batherson
DeBrincat Stutzle Giroux
Formenton Pinto Joseph

That’s how. Whose place does he take? You aren’t going to play Joseph on the 4th line at after you sign him to a multi year deal 2.9/yr deal and trade Nick Paul for him, nor are you signing Connor Brown for 5 million/yr longterm contract after this year to play on the 3rd line.
I think the fact we dont know whats happening with Formenton and Batherson made for a strange decision on making this deal for pennies at the dollar. I really dont like it and still dont see the point.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00