Confirmed Trade: [WSH/OTT] Connor Brown for 2024 2nd round pick

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Lmfao people doing mental gymnastics to justify the value on this.

“That second could be used to help offload Zaitsev or be a complimentary piece in an RHD!”

Yeah, if I sell my Honda Civic that’s worth 20,000$ for 15,000$ to put down on a new Mercedes I’m still a dipshit for selling my Civic for less than perceived market value. Regardless of what I’m using that money for.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Lmfao people doing mental gymnastics to justify the value on this.

“That second could be used to help offload Zaitsev or be a complimentary piece in an RHD!”

Yeah, if I sell my Honda Civic that’s worth 20,000$ for 15,000$ to put down on a new Mercedes I’m still a dipshit for selling my Civic for less than perceived market value. Regardless of what I’m using that money for.

What fans think a player should be traded for on an internet message board is not "market value".

Connor Brown was available, it was very much public knowledge, and every team had the chance to make an offer. He returned a 2nd. You may not like it, but his market value on July 13th 2022 was a 2nd round pick.

Now, you could argue that the market value would have been higher at the trade deadline last year, or would be higher next year, but that's a different conversation.

Brown had to be traded before training camp. Ottawa has, reportedly, a $74M salary budget (dollars out not cap hit) for next season. With Brown, and with the expected amounts we'll need to pay Norris, Formenton and Joseph, we'd be at ~$74M.

Without Brown, the Senators have ~$4-5M to get another defenseman.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
What fans think a player should be traded for on an internet message board is not "market value".

Connor Brown was available, it was very much public knowledge, and every team had the chance to make an offer. He returned a 2nd. You may not like it, but his market value on July 13th 2022 was a 2nd round pick.

Now, you could argue that the market value would have been higher at the trade deadline last year, or would be higher next year, but that's a different conversation.

Brown had to be traded before training camp. Ottawa has, reportedly, a $74M salary budget (dollars out not cap hit) for next season. With Brown, and with the expected amounts we'll need to pay Norris, Formenton and Joseph, we'd be at ~$74M.

I disagree. What you are saying is that every single trade made is equal, balanced, and market value. That just isn’t the case. There are tonnes of times, on that day, at that second, players are traded for below market value.

But like you said, let’s see what the following move is and if we are able to acquire a Top4 RHD. That would shut me up.

Until then, he was traded for less than what he is worth, and in the case where your best offer is below what you want, I think you hang onto him.

EDIT: I guess I see what you mean, he technically did go for market value because that’s what he went for and the market (other teams) decided that. Maybe I worded it wrong, he went for market value. But market value is less than he is worth.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Not an ideal return but I'm fine with it. With better timing I think a first would have been realistic but Dorion clearly has other moves to make.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
This.

2024 pick might be significantly higher than 2023 if Washington is trending down like everyone's been saying they are.
Stars are aging. Refills are looking like decent players but not there yet. I think a cup run is beyond their grasp without a metric ton of luck. I've seen some commentators says they may miss the playoffs this year. We'll see. 2024 would be more likely so the pick should be higher but in a draft that's not as deep as others are saying 2023 is.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Not really sure how some though Brown would return a 1st. He isn’t a first round worthy type of player. Metrics scream average across the board.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Stars are aging. Refills are looking like decent players but not there yet. I think a cup run is beyond their grasp without a metric ton of luck. I've seen some commentators says they may miss the playoffs this year. We'll see. 2024 would be more likely so the pick should be higher but in a draft that's not as deep as others are saying 2023 is.

I guess it's a case of something like 2023 50th vs 2024 40th (just random guesses).

Reactions: Fallschirmyager

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
To the people that wanted Edmonton to get him. If you get too many ex Leafs there is a risk of becoming like the Leafs and no other franchise should want to do that.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If Connor Brown isn't displacing Mathieu Joseph in that top nine, I fail to see how you'd think he's worth a 1st rounder. Particularly in this market.

Context is important here, Brown has let it be known that he would test the Ufa market in 2023, and Dorion just cleared $3.5M is real dollars for his next move along with getting some draft capital. The decision to trade him now has to do with the timing, the Sens are looking to actively add a top-4 RD, which is a position of need. They will pay Joseph less to play Brown’s role on line 3.

Brown would have fetched a bit more on trade deadline, because he is a very useful and offensively productive 3rd liner, and a constant threat in shorthanded situations as an excellent PKer. With Debrincat and Giroux as wingers, it is time to use assets as Brown to address a need.

Reactions: Altimus

rajiabu

Aug 27, 2012
Does Brown make to top 6?
Probably with Backstrom and Wilson injured.
Maybe just a 3rd liner though

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Why did Ottawa even want to trade Brown, he was amazing for their depth with the top 6 solidified
We need draft capital, we got some good prospects in the AHL who could net some good icetime if we get injuries, and Brown at 3.5m on the third line(or lower if he doesn't find chemistry) is wasted money. Hoping to see a full season of Forms-Pinto-Joseph on the third line.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Would think Oilers would give at least 2nd and Poolparty. Flip poolparty for a 3rd?

Still a bummer to end the day on that we lost Connor Brown.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. There are often players with extenuating circumstances that cause them to go for less than "market value". Trade protection chief among them. But Connor Brown didn't have that.

The reality is, he was shopped pretty clearly. Nobody wanted to pay any more than a 2nd in 2024 for him.

He's one of those "hfboards darlings" that i just don't understand. He's not a bad player, but he's nothing special either. There's absolutely nothing remarkable about him at all. He's just...middle-6 filler. Like a completely generic Lego brick that fits somewhere in your Top-9, and that's fine. But you don't trade 1st round picks for that.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad