Confirmed Trade: [WSH/OTT] Connor Brown for 2024 2nd round pick

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Oh he's a 3rd liner now? So it was just "salty Leaf fans" saying he's a 3rd liner on a good team?

A 2nd is fair for what he brings. Got way overhyped in Ottawa, as all Ottawa players seem to do.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Oh he's a 3rd liner now? So it was just "salty Leaf fans" saying he's a 3rd liner on a good team?

A 2nd is fair for what he brings. Got way overhyped in Ottawa, as all Ottawa players seem to do.

I feel like you made this all up in your head and after glancing over the thread, I didn’t see one Ottawa fan call him a 3rd liner. So that’s neat.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

We've never called him that. I've been on the Sens board to whole time. We said he's a good 2nd liner and elite 3rd line RW, with exceptional PK skills and a great work ethic. I've never seen anyone say anything otherwise really, which is quite rare as we're as harsh on our players as any fanbase.

There was no room for him on this team salary cap wise, that sucks, but that's life. That's why he was moved, he knew it, we knew it, that's that. Washington's lucky to have acquired him - and for that price too.

The Sens have made a lot of good moves this off season, this is not one of them.

Why do this now? lets say you aren't quite a playoff team and you have to sell for 1 more year you can get more for Brown at the deadline than a single 2nd.

But if you are a team that is looking to take a big step and Ottawa clearly is looking to take that step then you are better with Conor Brown.

I just don't get this.
The other thing with this trade was, I think we had a deal in place for a D-man that fell through. No sources or anything, just the general feel at the time. Again, would have loved to keep him, but that's life.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
We've never called him that. I've been on the Sens board to whole time. We said he's a good 2nd liner and elite 3rd line RW, with exceptional PK skills and a great work ethic. I've never seen anyone say anything otherwise really, which is quite rare as we're as harsh on our players as any fanbase.

There was no room for him on this team salary cap wise, that sucks, but that's life. That's why he was moved, he knew it, we knew it, that's that. Washington's lucky to have acquired him - and for that price too.

The other thing with this trade was, I think we had a deal in place for a D-man that fell through. No sources or anything, just the general feel at the time. Again, would have loved to keep him, but that's life.

Washington acquiring Brown for a second round pick is a steal. It has nothing to do with who Brown is as a player. Agree with everything in your post.

Ryan Dzingel is not equal to Devon Toews just because they returned about the same.

I wonder though, we think we moved out Brown to relieve cap to bring in a top four RHD. Maybe we moved him out to make room for Joseph while picking up an asset, and the money moving out potentially for a top four RHD will be Zaitsev.

If we traded Brown at the deadline last year the return would’ve been phenomenal given the market and the steep price for the extra dozen or so games + playoff run.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Washington acquiring Brown for a second round pick is a steal. It has nothing to do with who Brown is as a player. Agree with everything in your post.

Ryan Dzingel is not equal to Devon Toews just because they returned about the same.

I wonder though, we think we moved out Brown to relieve cap to bring in a top four RHD. Maybe we moved him out to make room for Joseph while picking up an asset, and the money moving out potentially for a top four RHD will be Zaitsev.
I think the money was moved out for Chycrun, but they couldn't get over the Pinto/Greig hump. I'm very confident it was that personally.

Who knows, but I do know that Dorion is not afraid at this point and time to pull the trigger, so Brown's money will be used this season for a D. Who knows when though.

Reactions: Akrapovince

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Wash keeps pace in the metro. Bad news for Pittsburgh Jersey NYI etc. Good move and good price.
Ottawa could have squeaked out another small asset it would seem . Yes its probably for D help but seems like a panic move

Reactions: Altimus

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I'm not sure where this is coming from.

Ottawa knew what they had in Brown. Hard working tweener, good penalty killer. Better as a 3rd liner, can do spot duty in the top six.

More of a set-up man than a scorer, misses on a lot of breakaways.

Does that sound about right?

Still probably a guy the Leafs could have used in their bottom six based on their recent playoff performances given his set of skills, but he's a bit pricey.

I'll admit, with the extended injuries to Ottawa's top six (Norris and Batherson), Brown had more opportunities than usual last season and didn't impress offensively to the level I expected after leading the World Championships in scoring the year before.

It's a bit crowded on the 3rd line with younger options Formenton, Pinto and Joseph, none of whom you really want playing on the 4th line.

I suppose you are praying that Matt Murray wasn't overhyped as well, as he's an Ottawa player.

Last edited:

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I feel like you made this all up in your head and after glancing over the thread, I didn’t see one Ottawa fan call him a 3rd liner. So that’s neat.
If you look at the Stutzle thread, there are many fans talking about how he scored PPG while playing with 3rd liners (Brown and Formenton).

I'm not saying Brown is a 3rd liner necessarily, only that there are Sens fans stating this to back up the contract offered to Stutzle.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you look at the Stutzle thread, there are many fans talking about how he scored PPG while playing with 3rd liners (Brown and Formenton).

I'm not saying Brown is a 3rd liner necessarily, only that there are Sens fans stating this to back up the contract offered to Stutzle.

He’s a high-end third liner and a low-end second liner and I think he always has been.

A lot of it has to do with the fact that he’s not particularly good with static positioning on the PP and is better as a transition player, which limits his overall utility as a top six forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00