Confirmed Trade: (WSH/MIN) Tyler Graovac for 2018 5th rounder

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So let me get this straight...the Capitals, who already did not have a pick in the first three rounds this year, nor a second rounder next year, traded away a fifth in 2018 (probably a better draft than 2017 by most accounts) to acquire a player to expose in the expansion draft SO THAT THEY CAN KEEP LARS ELLER? When they already knew they were going to lose one of Nate Schmidt or Phillip Grubauer?

Lars Eller? Seriously. $3.5 million, one more year left on his contract, 22 points...THAT Lars Eller?

When the Caps played the Pens in Round 2, do you know how many glorious scoring chances Eller missed? He had a breakaway at one point in the series, and I was thanking my lucky stars it was Eller and not somebody who could actually score.

This is insane to me.

Am I the only one?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Graovac has a shot to be an NHL'er. 6'5", can skate, and has a bit of skill.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Graovac was the 191st overall pick in 2011. Graovac cleared waivers in February, so the Minnesota is doing well to get an asset, albeit a 5th round pick in 2018, not bad for someone they could have lost for free just a four months ago.

From Washington’s perspective, this deal is primarily due to expansion. His acquisition provides the Capitals with a second signed forward to expose to meet the 40/70 requirement (Graovac hasn’t played in 70 career NHL games but the 52 this season qualifies him). Graovac has one year left on his contract with a cap hit of $625K.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Graovac has a shot to be an NHL'er. 6'5", can skate, and has a bit of skill.

Agreed. Just needs to find some consistency and play to his size a bit more. He's got the tools.

He does have a one way deal next year, so he may stick as 4th liner or 13th foeward.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Well...at least it's something i guess. A little bit lackluster on the excitement scale though.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Only 17 more moves to make and that 5th rounder will be 1st overall.

Actually only 3 moves;
1-Turn the 2011 7th round pick into a 2018 5th round pick

2-Turn that 2018 5th rounder into a 2025 3rd round pick

3-Turn that 2025 3rd rounder into a 2032 1st round pick

Fletcher is taking the long view on this one.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
Finally something happened, hopefully the next couple days **** really starts to get crazy

whlscowt

Big Graovac fan, I think he's going to start carving out an NHL career next season on the Caps 4th line.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Don't agree with a lot of Wild fans on here. Doubt the guy ends up more than a career AHL'er or a disappointing 3rd/4th line warm body. Big guy, tries to play like a power forward but can't protect the puck. Goes at defenders and turns it over the moment he's in poke check range. Loses every battle on the boards and when he does come away cleanly makes poor decisions. Doesn't play a defensively responsible or physically punishing game. Too unskilled to play top 9, too irresponsible to play 4th. I expect to see him on the waiver wire again.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
this guys got some upside as a 4th line center if he was offended by being on waivers twice and works his butt off this summer. otherwise he will be a fringe nhler that gets waived by a healthy team.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
Actually only 3 moves;
1-Turn the 2011 7th round pick into a 2018 5th round pick

2-Turn that 2018 5th rounder into a 2025 3rd round pick

3-Turn that 2025 3rd rounder into a 2032 1st round pick

Fletcher is taking the long view on this one.

4 - Trade that 1st to Tim Murray (wherever he may be at the time) :D

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Don't agree with a lot of Wild fans on here. Doubt the guy ends up more than a career AHL'er or a disappointing 3rd/4th line warm body. Big guy, tries to play like a power forward but can't protect the puck. Goes at defenders and turns it over the moment he's in poke check range. Loses every battle on the boards and when he does come away cleanly makes poor decisions. Doesn't play a defensively responsible or physically punishing game. Too unskilled to play top 9, too irresponsible to play 4th. I expect to see him on the waiver wire again.

This mirrors my impression of him from a large sample of the eye test. For a big guy with a lot of reach, he should be much stronger on the puck, and that is his main problem as an NHL hockey player. He's big, skilled, and can skate, but doesn't have the meanness to his game to be a true power forward, and can't protect or steal the puck. He's the AHL Ryan Getzlaf. If Getzlaf didn't have a mean streak, make good decisions consistently, and couldn't protect the puck, he'd be Graovac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad