Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Sonny Milano signs with the Capitals (1 year, $750k)

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
The Wings just lost Bertuzzi for a stretch. The team could use him in a 3rd/4th line spot while both Bertuzzi and Fabbri are out...
Detroit had zadina and suter as a healthy scratch and berggren in the minors, they would rather play any of em.

Last edited:

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
When we had him in Columbus I thought he was pretty decent. If he can learn to play on the 4th line he might find a good spot somewhere.

Reactions: Silky mitts

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Do the Caps have a winger injury i don't know about?

Milano is about as good as you're gonna get at this point in the year, as a "filler" Top-6 F who can get some points and generally not get in the way of better players. But he's really not that useful as a sort of "depth player" down the lineup. Unless you can stash him in the AHL and bring him up if you need a Top-6 Winger replacement for a minute.

When we had him in Columbus I thought he was pretty decent. If he can learn to play on the 4th line he might find a good spot somewhere.

I think that's the problem with players like Milano though. They're just not really cut out to play on a "4th line". They don't have the skillset or mentality for it. It's Top-6 or Bust. That makes things hard, when they're not that great as a Top-6 winger.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
As the beat writer noted, there's no real mystery here. They lost two guys unexpectedly on waivers and want to replenish that pool. It's less a real plan to have him play many NHL minutes than it's intended to give the Bears help and add another guy with NHL experience to the first, second, third call-up depth chart.

The one-way contract is designed to discourage anyone from claiming him off waivers. A liability at the NHL level, he'll be a solid producer in the AHL and help insulate others, aiding with development of genuine prospects cooking down there.

Yep basically telling teams if you want to spend 750k on a guy who isn't NHL ready go for it.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
If he does make appearances for the Capitals, I hope they don't let him wear #12. They made that mistake with Jeff Friesen. The fanbase is pretty passionate about players wearing Bondra's #12.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
I think he overplayed his hand and wanted more money that the QO that Anaheim was going give him. If Mialno said "ya, I'm good with 750k"...I'm 100% that he'd be with the Ducks.
I believe the Ducks didn't give Milano a QO

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Terrible players don't put up 34 points in a season. Are you saying he's terrible because he doesn't play a 2-way game?

If there were a hockey version of the Harlem Globe Trotters, Milano would be on that team. But if you have a real hockey team where things lIke back checking are appreciated, you really don’t want Milano anywhere near your team.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Do the Caps have a winger injury i don't know about?

Milano is about as good as you're gonna get at this point in the year, as a "filler" Top-6 F who can get some points and generally not get in the way of better players. But he's really not that useful as a sort of "depth player" down the lineup. Unless you can stash him in the AHL and bring him up if you need a Top-6 Winger replacement for a minute.

I think that's the problem with players like Milano though. They're just not really cut out to play on a "4th line". They don't have the skillset or mentality for it. It's Top-6 or Bust. That makes things hard, when they're not that great as a Top-6 winger.

They lost 2 F on waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad