Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Sonny Milano signs with the Capitals (1 year, $750k)

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I don't understand sending him down to Hershey. 34 pt player last season. He easily could be picked up on waivers. Send McMichael down as he's waiver exempt and let him cook racking up points playing 20 min a night for the Bears. Scratching McMichael does no good for this development.

One way? Interesting. Glad this guy is getting another shot though!
Why did the Ducks let him go?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Great depth signing and bargain contract. Kind of surprised he didn’t get with a team over the summer on a deal. I know he was with CGY on a PTO. Not sure how he looked in pre season. He’s talented and had a solid year last year. Low risk signing for the Caps.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don't understand sending him down to Hershey. 34 pt player last season. He easily could be picked up on waivers. Send McMichael down as he's waiver exempt and let him cook racking up points playing 20 min a night for the Bears. Scratching McMichael does no good for this development.

Because he’s terrible

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Terrible players don't put up 34 points in a season. Are you saying he's terrible because he doesn't play a 2-way game?
I’m saying he’s terrible because he’s a net negative 90% of the time he’s on the ice

32 GMs didn’t think he was good enough to open the season with their team, and still don’t, he only finally got signed because a team lost 2 call up options in the same day

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He didn't show much in his PTO with the Flames so I'm a little surprised at him getting a one way contract.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Great depth signing and bargain contract. Kind of surprised he didn’t get with a team over the summer on a deal. I know he was with CGY on a PTO. Not sure how he looked in pre season. He’s talented and had a solid year last year. Low risk signing for the Caps.

Useless. At least in the games I saw.

Reactions: Conbon and SI90

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
As the beat writer noted, there's no real mystery here. They lost two guys unexpectedly on waivers and want to replenish that pool. It's less a real plan to have him play many NHL minutes than it's intended to give the Bears help and add another guy with NHL experience to the first, second, third call-up depth chart.

The one-way contract is designed to discourage anyone from claiming him off waivers. A liability at the NHL level, he'll be a solid producer in the AHL and help insulate others, aiding with development of genuine prospects cooking down there.

SlyIslands

May 28, 2003
Visit site

Why would anyone claim him on waivers? He was a free agent.

Reactions: Hivemind

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Must be desperate

Talking about Milano without knowing Milano

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Terrible players don't put up 34 points in a season. Are you saying he's terrible because he doesn't play a 2-way game?

There are plenty of depth guys, AHLers etc who could probably put up similar numbers if you stapled them to Zegras for the better part of a year, or in a similar situation on another bad team. But that's not enough production for someone who is completely flakey in their defensive and overall game. He essentially carries himself like a star first line scoring forward, but hasn't and likely won't ever be on that level of production.

There was a span at the start of the season where it looked like he was perhaps starting to figure it out. Playing more of an honest, hardworking support role. Making the right decisions with pucks and getting after it on the forecheck with his speed. But then just seemed to fall back into old ways.

There are plenty of them out there, Ho Sang being a very good recent example, guys who have more than enough talent to play in the league and even produce, but coaches will always prefer a hardworking and reliable 25-30 point guy over a flakey 40 pointer.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
The Rich Evans?

Glad I'm not the only one stuck on that detail

1665933815797.png

Reactions: KingsFan7824

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Dude, Sonny, you just aren’t that good, it’s ok, let it go.

Seriously though, I’d say 34 points ain’t great for a top 6, and he hasn’t figured out the style for bottom 6. He’s a fringe top 6er, him and Vesey. Bjork too, except without the modicum of talent, so idk what the f*** he’s doing out there, but I digress.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think he overplayed his hand and wanted more money that the QO that Anaheim was going give him. If Mialno said "ya, I'm good with 750k"...I'm 100% that he'd be with the Ducks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad