Claimed off Waivers: [WSH] Dennis Cholowski claimed off waivers by the Capitals from the Kraken

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Two former Red Wings defensemen on the Caps team now. o_O

EDIT: Trading the Datsyuk's contract really did hurt Detroit. Could of had Chychrun instead of Hronek & Cholowski.... sigh

Reactions: Go Wings

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Waive Kempny and claim Cholo? I guess that teaches me a bit about how rough Kempny must be right now.
Probably says more about their confidence in Irwin as 7D than it does anything about Kempny. Kempny will be in Hershey for the foreseeable future and depending on health plus the play of TvR and Fehervary, he may never suit up again for Washington.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Probably says more about their confidence in Irwin as 7D than it does anything about Kempny. Kempny will be in Hershey for the foreseeable future and depending on health plus the play of TvR and Fehervary, he may never suit up again for Washington.

While I'm not a Caps fan, it does even seem that way to an outsider.

Reactions: Mike Jones

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Kempny's had serious injuries for the last two seasons, but was finally healthy heading into this season. He did not impress at camp, however, and probably needs to build up his game at the AHL level if he wants another shot at the NHL.

The Caps have a soft spot for him, as he played his very best hockey during their run to the Cup in 2018. He might never get back anywhere close to that level, though. They have prospects Martin Fehervary and Alexander Alexeev likely to take over top-six roles in the next couple of years. This is probably Kempny's last year in the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshall

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Cholowski showed signs of being a top 4-5 guy. He's just a kid who has zero confidence. Sturdy skater but needs to add bulk.

IIRC around draft time he was compared to Leddy, ironically. With the right vets and some pressure off he could potentially be a decent 6th dman who can skate himself out of trouble. But, sometimes, as a red wings fan, he had Brendan Smithitis. All tools but no toolbox.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cholowski showed signs of being a top 4-5 guy. He's just a kid who has zero confidence. Sturdy skater but needs to add bulk.

IIRC around draft time he was compared to Leddy, ironically. With the right vets and some pressure off he could potentially be a decent 6th dman who can skate himself out of trouble. But, sometimes, as a red wings fan, he had Brendan Smithitis. All tools but no toolbox.
He was part of the beginning of that change in Detroit where they went away from marinating their prospects in the A and instead brought them up early.

Reactions: hn777

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014

EDIT: Trading the Datsyuk's contract really did hurt Detroit. Could of had Chychrun instead of Hronek & Cholowski.... sigh

Hronek seems to be developing into Tyson Barrie type player so it’s not a complete loss.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
7AlO.gif

terrible, terrible d-man. i guess Washington is hoping that it was the team around him, and not just him.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I never understood why Francis opted for Cholowski over Givani Smith. Not only from an asset standpoint, he is a guy that would immediately be endearing to Kraken fans with his grit and determination.

Reactions: elitepete

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I am still a believer in Cholowski... when he was in Portland in WHL, he was unreal. He dominated in all aspects... I still think in the right situation, he can succeed.

On that Portland team, he was on the same roster as guys like Glass, Jokiharju, Bellows etc etc(all guys that were considered very high end prospects) and I thought he was the best of the bunch with the best NHL potential

I think he could potentially hit his stride in Washington

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012

Outside of that first 9 or so games Cholo had in the NHL, he’s done nothing but regress and his tools aren’t even all that great. Smith was an incredible skater, and while he’d make some really stupid plays in the d zone, he was handcuffed by a stubborn coach who took a kid who showed he could move the puck and generate chances in the offensive zone and tried to turn him into a shut down stay at home dman. Cholo was given every opportunity to shine in the role his skill set compliments, Smith wasn’t.

Reactions: hn777

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Along with Mike Green there seems to be a trend there.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He was part of the beginning of that change in Detroit where they went away from marinating their prospects in the A and instead brought them up early.

Not exactly...

In 18-19 the Wings started and went practically all the way to the trade deadline where it seemed like 2 or 3 of DeKeyser, Ericsson, Green or Daley were on IR. Kronwall, Green and Ericsson were all out to start the season and Cholowski started the year in Detroit with 3 other rookie Dmen. When some of those vets finally got healthy, Cholowski got to stick around because (at least in the beginning) he was providing some offense in a sheltered role before they finally sent him down when his production dried up and the rest of the league figured out he had no clue how to play in his own zone.

Had the D been at full health to start the year, Holland wouldn't have thought twice about sending Cholowski to GR.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So Cholowski was the best Seattle could pick from Detroit and then they lose him for nothing?
Not quite nothing; they did get the waiver claim fee. Bayreuther's the one they TRULY lost for nothing. ;)

He even came this close to making the team out of camp; that would have been truly glorious if it'd happened, But, alas...

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad