Salary Cap: Pens 2024 Summer Thread: "Thus, knocking us out of these superior numbers when we emerge! Mr. President, we must not allow a non-playoff bound gap!"

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Marner would be a good fit but Toronto wouldn’t trade him to Dubas.

Pens should target Cole Perfetti, bros a very good young player with high hockey IQ and work ethic who Rick Bowness refuses to play because he’s a little small. I’m sure he’s requesting a trade if he hasn’t already

I agree Ehlers would be an awesome get, I’ve been saying that for 5 years. Doubt Winnipeg trades him.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
What do we think we do with Marcus Pettersson? It makes no sense to lock him in long-term given what they just did to Jake. I think the options are either trade him or ride him into the season UFA and play it by ear.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Is Kypreos the guy who is pretty much always wrong and has traded Malkin multiple times?
Kypreos is an idiot and wrong more often then he's right, but it was either Eliott Friedman or Derrin Dregger who also reposted the Pens trading Malkin every summer since 09 because he's "Suck of being in Crosby's shadow", then Mlakin calls them idiots and says he lives playing here and has no intention of leaving or requesting a trade.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
What do we think we do with Marcus Pettersson? It makes no sense to lock him in long-term given what they just did to Jake. I think the options are either trade him or ride him into the season UFA and play it by ear.
Yeah, I know he’s our best LD but I would hope to pick up someone younger and cheaper and trade him this summer for a good return, assuming there’s a good return there…i certainly hope Dubas explores it…what I’m expecting them to do is re-sign him to a long term contract we’ll all be unhappy with lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Letting Ned go to free agency would be a hilarious little third reboot of just missing the playoffs with Sully & the gang.

That + would have to be astronomical given Tristan Jarry's current contract and how this season just ended. Also using a bunch of assets now would be a funny followup to buying absolutely nothing at the trade deadline.

This org is so cooked.
In a vacuum, keeping Jarry, promoting Blomqvist, and letting Neds walk would be the prototypical garbage move for this org. But before I get too harsh, I'd really want to know Ned's contract demands would be. The issue with one-year bounce banks is that more often than not they lead to bad contracts. If Neds wanted to come back at 2yrs for the same $1.5mil or a small bump to $2mil, then I would be supportive. I'm not sure I want to hand the keys over Neds and Blomqvist if he's wanting a $4mil x 4yrs.

I think the most ideal move is to move Jarry to a team needing a starting goalie (Edmonton, New Jersey, maybe Toronto, or primarily LA), resign Neds to a 2yr deal in that $2-3mil range, and pull Blomqvist up as backup. With that, sign a journeyman goalie for WBS who could set up if either Neds or Blomqvist shit the bed. You likely get back a younger asset or pick for Jarry and you can reallocate cap elsewhere.

My vote would be to get serious top 6 wing to be 3LW and a 3C.

DOC-Sid-Rust
Bunt-Geno-Raks
Debrusk-Wennberg-Yager
Poulin-Eller-Puljujarvi

We have the cap room to build a 3rd top 6 line. That's what the team needs. We can get "good enough" goaltending from Neds and Blom. The defense will be a shit show, regardless. We faltered this year because of depth scoring more than anything. Fix that first.

I think the late season push will force them to keep and extend him. Our left side looks bleak without him and if it's their intention to compete, they need him. That I think you're on to something that, if they are clearly out of it by the TDL, I think they look for that big return. I expect a Chiarot-like return of a 1st, prospect, and late rounder.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Trade him or sign long term.

Pettersson value Is a 2nd + b prospect. Or 2 2nds.

His player value playing is way higher. He is currently are best defensemen in the D zone. I'd rather sign him and him to continue playing for us until Crosby leaves. We can then trade him for a 2nd and B prospect and that team will be overjoyed to have him.

My thoughts anyways

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I know Petts is the only halfway competent defensive blueliner the team has but any attachment to him seems f***ing weird to me, either by the fanbase or the organization.

-edit- It's just perfectly typical for this team to trade Jake (begrudgingly) but hesitate or outright refuse to entertain moving Petts. :laugh:

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Why not? They can re-sign Pettersson and trade him in 4 years for basically the same thing he'd bring back today.

I know Petts is the only halfway competent defensive blueliner the team has but any attachment to him seems f***ing weird to me, either by the fanbase or the organization.

-edit- It's just perfectly typical for this team to trade Jake (begrudgingly) but hesitate or outright refuse to entertain moving Petts. :laugh:

Probably because Guentzel is going to cost $9 million a year, is going to sign for longer and is like 2 years older than Pettersson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

You keep Petts this year, try to make the playoffs, if you do, you re-sign him. If you don't, you move him at the deadline just like Jake. Simple path.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
There is zero urgency here to extend Petts. Do I consider that down the road? But Pens have to jettison contracts here as values will decline. Sid job one. Secondly, get a LW who brings size, juice and jam to the top 6. Sullivan has to know dubas and especially Spezza are going to redo the roster after next year. Plus what happens if Letang is done? Hope for the best but is he able to come back at 100% from what ailed him this year.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think you also have to gauge the market for Petts all season long and if an opportunity arises (team loses a top-4 guy, etc.) you jump, but yeah, pretty much what you said.
I'm sure they could get at least a second for him. He should be worth a late round first tbh but I don't know if nhl gms properly value him because he's not physical

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

If Petts is a UFA and not to be signed I will trade him. Guentzel wanted to play the wait to UFA game. If Petts wants that I will 100% trade him.

See Dubas we can do this too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad